News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

"Everdrive" cartridge for GX4000

Started by nitrofurano, 20:20, 18 August 14

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrofurano

probably most of you heard about sd card reader cartridges like Everdrive and Powerpak - how simple would be having something alike available for GX4000?

TFM

Is that something like a HxC? Or more like an X-MEM?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

The EverDrive (and other hack piracy systems) store the game ROMs files into a removable storage like CD, ZIP, CF, SD, USB pen, ... and an embedded program load the selected file into a RAM that is mapped on the ROM addresses. Then, put it write protected.
After that, you can play to the game... (with a bit of shame)

Generally, a passthrough connector with an original game plugged to it is needed to allow the system to access to the protection IC.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

nitrofurano

Quote from: TotO on 20:44, 18 August 14
The EverDrive (and other hack piracy systems) store the game ROMs files into a removable storage like CD, ZIP, CF, SD, USB pen, ... and an embedded program load the selected file into a RAM that is mapped on the ROM addresses. Then, put it write protected.

Generally, a passthrough connector with an original game plugged to it is needed to allow the system to access to the protection IC.

sorry that i couldn't understand the definition of "hack" and "piracy" you used... :S - the only ones i know are at:
Words to Avoid (or Use with Care) Because They Are Loaded or Confusing - GNU

actually this kind of sd reader cartridges are amazing for homebrew development (specially libre games, just like from Mojón Twins), this is what i believe these cartridges should be encouraged to be used for! ;)

andycadley

Some kind of programmable cartridge would be amazing. I'd give anything to have something which could be used for testing cartridge code, but at the moment we just don't have anything like that available. So it's all down to emulators for the moment.

dragon

Well, really the everdrives work with systems that no need hack it. I mean you can take a snes game cartridge change the rom, as the gx4000, and play it in snes.

Except to regions protections,  These systems not need to be "hacked", but you need this type of cartridge as the console only acepts cartridges.

I't not the same as chips of the sony consoles. When the modchips hack the bios of console intercepts code in the bus etc...

I think hack piracy systems are not correct in case of krizz cartridges.Anyway, sega and nintendo simply ignore these cartridges to her old systems, because they no lost money with it.

Bryce

Hacking morals are up to the owner. The real problem here is: Everdrives for SNES / Mastersystem / Gameboy or whatever... All these systems have a huge library of games that require an SD card and the associated (expensive) hardware needed to control it. So an SD based system makes sense. The GX4000 has less than 20 games! A simple MultiCart with selection software is all you'd need.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: nitrofurano on 20:20, 18 August 14
probably most of you heard about sd card reader cartridges like Everdrive and Powerpak - how simple would be having something alike available for GX4000?
you talk about the thing that everyone wants but nobody seems to have made. It is the thing of dreams!

there has been many talks of various programmable gx4000 cartridges and even talk of making real cartridges with real cases.

Ultimately nothing happens which is really sad. I really want to see real gx4000 cartridges, real cases, and a real programmable cart!

It would be great.

To help this aim I did the following:
- I converted Stryker and the crypts of trojan to work on cartridge which involved me patching it to work better with joystick and GX4000's "P" for pause.
- I also worked on a cartridge version of Blue Angel 69 - which I haven't released yet! (it has changed colours and a new title screen but I didn't modify it to use sprites or other hardware because of lack of time and motivation to do that).
- I released a template for openoffice for making labels to put on cartridge cases and a template for a cartridge booklet based on the original.
- I measured the cartridge case.

I can't help with the hardware or cases because I don't know how to do that otherwise I would have done that by now too.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TotO

Quote from: nitrofurano on 20:50, 18 August 14sorry that i couldn't understand the definition of "hack" and "piracy" you used... :S - the only ones i know are at:
That is bullshit to have a clear conscience.  :-\

When you play copyrighted games on a unofficial support, it is piraty.
When the way to do require a hardware that allow to fake the real system, it is a hack.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

dragon

The problem to made a everdrive, is the gx4000 have a big flaw in the desing. In snes and the other consoles you can speak with the cartridge, you can save the games in the cartridges because the consoles can send/write information to it. So yo can tell to fpga format sd card, rename file in sdcard etc flash game from the sd to the memory flash... the gx4000 can only read the eeprom of the cartridge. So the aproach is different.

TotO

The interface is not a problem, as the host systems (GX4000 or PLUS) only require to read the ROM content and check the ASIC protection.
An "everdrive-like" cartridge is independent and can load from SD to RAM or FLASH w/o using the cartridge bus.

Optimus

Quote from: nitrofurano on 20:50, 18 August 14
sorry that i couldn't understand the definition of "hack" and "piracy" you used... :S - the only ones i know are at:

Yeah, but "crackers" are the software crackers for me, forefathers of the demoscene. They have now changed the meaning to "bad hackers" or something. I don't like that, but it stayed.

Bryce

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:52, 19 August 14
you talk about the thing that everyone wants but nobody seems to have made. It is the thing of dreams!

there has been many talks of various programmable gx4000 cartridges and even talk of making real cartridges with real cases.

Ultimately nothing happens which is really sad. I really want to see real gx4000 cartridges, real cases, and a real programmable cart!

It would be great.

To help this aim I did the following:
- I converted Stryker and the crypts of trojan to work on cartridge which involved me patching it to work better with joystick and GX4000's "P" for pause.
- I also worked on a cartridge version of Blue Angel 69 - which I haven't released yet! (it has changed colours and a new title screen but I didn't modify it to use sprites or other hardware because of lack of time and motivation to do that).
- I released a template for openoffice for making labels to put on cartridge cases and a template for a cartridge booklet based on the original.
- I measured the cartridge case.

I can't help with the hardware or cases because I don't know how to do that otherwise I would have done that by now too.

I have designs finished for both a software controllable MultiCart and a writeable Cart for the Plus. The problem is finding time to build them.

Bryce.

andycadley

Quote from: Bryce on 08:35, 19 August 14
Hacking morals are up to the owner. The real problem here is: Everdrives for SNES / Mastersystem / Gameboy or whatever... All these systems have a huge library of games that require an SD card and the associated (expensive) hardware needed to control it. So an SD based system makes sense. The GX4000 has less than 20 games! A simple MultiCart with selection software is all you'd need.
That limits you to the existing titles though, some of us want to put new software on it! Frankly a cart with a ZIF socketed EPROM would be enough of a start!

TFM

Well, I'm not going into a discussion about Cracking and Copying here, because if I tell what I think I get banned again (that much about Knocking down the Hacienda ;-)). But on topic: Yes, there are few games at the moment, nevertheless if would be a great gain for development to have a cartridge which can take up new content easily. Menawhile we can use WinApe and other Plus emulators for that purpose.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

andycadley

Quote from: TFM on 17:55, 19 August 14
Menawhile we can use WinApe and other Plus emulators for that purpose.
If I trusted the Plus hardware not to be "quirky" in places not yet discovered, that'd be great. But I still recall losing a lot of time to trying to figure out the IM2 auto clearing bug. Being free to run tests on real hardware would be a boon.

dragon

I search it, yeh is true that some everdrive uses the fpga,and others uses de console cpu. Depend of the speed of the cpu console.

why you  need a passthrough?. If you uses a fpga, yo can emulate de acid inside with the other stuff,and you don't need an original cartridge.

TFM

Quote from: andycadley on 18:15, 19 August 14
If I trusted the Plus hardware not to be "quirky" in places not yet discovered, that'd be great. But I still recall losing a lot of time to trying to figure out the IM2 auto clearing bug. Being free to run tests on real hardware would be a boon.

That's of course right. I second you POV. And I also want to mention one thing about game development on Plus or CPC oG: One _really should_ return to real hardware on a _regular time base_ to check if the game (or App, or Demo) behaves the same as one sees on an emulator.

btw.: Is the above mentioned "bug" now emulated?
TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

Quote from: dragon on 19:53, 19 August 14why you  need a passthrough?. If you uses a fpga, yo can emulate de acid inside with the other stuff,and you don't need an original cartridge.
Sure, it is a way to do that. (what I said is more the conventional way used by old devices for faking cartridge protections)

Bryce

Quote from: andycadley on 17:37, 19 August 14
That limits you to the existing titles though, some of us want to put new software on it! Frankly a cart with a ZIF socketed EPROM would be enough of a start!

Why does that limit you to existing titles? A MultiCart or programmable Cart could hold new or old games?

Bryce.

andycadley

Quote from: Bryce on 08:55, 20 August 14
Why does that limit you to existing titles? A MultiCart or programmable Cart could hold new or old games?
I was under the impression you were suggesting just making a cart with the existing software on and some sort of selection menu, which is probably just me misinterpreting your comment.

Bryce

Well that would be one possibility, but the medium is an EPROM, so there's nothing to stop you putting whatever you like on it.

Bryce.

Trebmint

Somebody somewhere just make some carts and cases so I can write some massive 512k plus games...

I must admit to being completely lost on the 184 cart threads each with various variants of cases, boards, roms, acids, fpgas, eeproms, eproms and cplds. The only thing they share in common is you cant buy/get any of them.

Does anyone actually have a cart board that can fit a rom and acid/fake acd chip that can plug into a plus/gx4000 and that can be easily produced for a reasonable price... say under 15 euros. Then perhaps we can all get together to solve the case issue even if that means lots of us cart nuts band together and put money into making a mould

dcdrac

if the electronics are possible this is a damn good idea

CraigsBar

Quote from: Trebmint on 09:39, 21 August 14
Somebody somewhere just make some carts and cases so I can write some massive 512k plus games...

I must admit to being completely lost on the 184 cart threads each with various variants of cases, boards, roms, acids, fpgas, eeproms, eproms and cplds. The only thing they share in common is you cant buy/get any of them.

Does anyone actually have a cart board that can fit a rom and acid/fake acd chip that can plug into a plus/gx4000 and that can be easily produced for a reasonable price... say under 15 euros. Then perhaps we can all get together to solve the case issue even if that means lots of us cart nuts band together and put money into making a mould
count me in for that. I'd love too see some new 'real'  plus games.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode