News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

"Modern" tape deck?

Started by ohowson, 20:39, 19 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

ohowson

I've got a 6128 that I've had for about a year and came with loads of cassettes. I've just got a monitor. 

I've got no cassette deck. Is there any way to rig the machine up to a "modern" tape player of all I want to do is read games?

Bryce

Any Tapedeck with an AUX Out port will work. You just need to make or buy a cable with the appropriate connectors.

Bryce.

ohowson

Any idea what kind of connection that is? (the CPC is at work and I want to have a rummage in my bits box over the weekend).

It was the remote lead I wasn't sure about. And still am not :)

Bryce

On the 6128 it's a 5pin DIN connector. Pin 2 is GND, pin 4 is data-in.

Bryce.

ohowson

Handy that I bought a soldering iron today!

VincentGR

@Bryce advice:
For remote connect 1+3

ohowson

Thanks Vincent. What does the rem do?

Bryce

Woah, don't build that! That could fry something. The REM plug needs to be completely floating. The REM should be across pins 1 and 3, not between 1 and 2!

Bryce.

ohowson

Ok. Still don't know what it does though!

Bryce

It allows the CPC to control the motor in the tapedeck, so that it can pause the tape when it needs.

Bryce.

ohowson

Ok. So since mine won't have a remote connection anyway I can just leave it out. Ta :)

VincentGR

Really? Didn't knew that and never tried cause there's no remote on mine either  :(

SRS

there is still aux to din cable at *bay and *mazon for cheap money, maybe better than soldering ?

VincentGR

Hey Bryce,
for future use, is there a proper placement for 1-3 or it doesn't matter?

Bryce

Quote from: VincentGR on 23:48, 19 February 16
Hey Bryce,
for future use, is there a proper placement for 1-3 or it doesn't matter?

No, the two connections just go to the floating contacts of the relay, so the polarity doesn't matter.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTEC 8000X mit Tapatalk 2.

VincentGR

ohowson

I'll buy the cheap one but it's a single plug - would be nice to have one with in and out so I can get the kids doing some coding and save their progress. I'm a CS teacher :)

Lazy Dude

I think the term 'shoebox tape recorder' is the sort to use as it usually has the mic remote tape pause for the CPC to stop and think before loading more data.

Cant say I would want to be using a hifi separate tape deck, it has no remote stop socket

ohowson

I fired up the machine today and found it had a cassette player as well. It doesn't work. Annoying. However I did just plug the cable in to my phone and played an MP3 of California games. That didn't work. So I tried Boulder dash. Loaded fine! Then the new cable arrived.