News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recreate the CPC?

Started by dcdrac, 00:24, 25 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Don't think so, he may be just a bit disappointed about the 'new features'. Guess we all can find a positive agreement here.  :)  BTW: An new CPC is a huge project, so maybe a well team would be helpful. But not too much. For CPCnG we had a too big team, all power got lost in discussions, final result was close to be zero. Maybe we're more lucky this time.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Trebmint

Yeah too many cooks. This would be better to be done by a small team. People can then vote with their wallets. However I wasn't aware this was an actual idea to make this hardware.

It just makes me wish I was hardware rather than purely software, so i could build something wow

villain

Quote from: TFM on 22:53, 25 November 15
For CPCnG we had a too big team, all power got lost in discussions, final result was close to be zero.
Another conclusion should be: keep it simple! Too much ideas were also a big problem of the CPCng project...

TotO

Quote from: Trebmint on 22:15, 25 November 15Yep shame that our best hardware guy doesnt like the Plus.
I don't considerate me as a best hardware guy, but I think this message is for me... ;D

I own a 6128 PLUS and like its exclusive dedicated games.
I have done my best to make the PlayCity and X-MEM compatible with the PLUS.
I have redesigned the C4CPC GUI (you are all using it actually...) and made some tests for gerald (the best hardware guy).
Think and understand what you want...  8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Quote from: villain on 07:10, 26 November 15
Another conclusion should be: keep it simple! Too much ideas were also a big problem of the CPCng project...

That's right. Or better keep it doable.  :)  The problem of the CPCnG was that everything needed to be from scratch and with the great eZ80 of course everything would be different.
Here IMHO it's different, we can use the CPC6128 design, and add SF2 respective X-card technology. So everything could be integrated on one motherboard and be kept simple and small. That's not my idea TotO pointed that out some day. Well, add some nice Plus features and there you go.

From the software side it would be nice to make a game for it, which would need the spcs.

Are we going to form a dev. team here?

Quote from: Trebmint on 23:52, 25 November 15Yeah too many cooks. This would be better to be done by a small team. People can then vote with their wallets. However I wasn't aware this was an actual idea to make this hardware.It just makes me wish I was hardware rather than purely software, so i could build something wow

Right and right, but be lucky to be a software guy, it will be needed.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ZbyniuR

Used to I found this on some Japanese page with sketches. :)
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

reidrac

That's the work of a concept artist: http://www.androidarts.com/

I used to follow him on Twitter. I love his takes on classic games. Good stuff.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

ZbyniuR

Thanks pal. :)  Links under "Hardware projects" are incredible Amigas MSX Spectrums and others. :)
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Gryzor

Beautiful concept art. This would have been superb back in the day!

GUNHED

Quote from: TotO on 06:35, 25 November 15
Not from the 664... But, a 6128 with most existing expansions embedded, yes for around 100€.
By the way, the PLUS capabilities are not interresting at all... They are limited colours display with fake sprites and bugged DMA.

To integrate Plus features is a horrible amount of work. Nevertheless of course I would like to see them (even if it's an illusion). In this case we could 'debug' things and also add some more power. An example: Sprites use 4 bits of a byte to define the color of one sprite-dot. Now use all 8 bits and we would habe 255 colors instead of 15. But yes, to recreate the ASIC is probably beyond any sense.

I'm really looking forward to your X-CPC project, this will be definitely the next step in CPC's evolution.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

zhulien

I'd rather see a nes on a chip with cartridge port on a cpc compatible board. When cart is inserted keys and joystick and video circuitry map to nes.... but likewise have a way to load nes games from cpc and flick over in software.  My other computer can do this (albeit it is based on new hardware)...

GUNHED

NES doesn't use a Z80. But Sega does.  ;) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

zhulien

I am wondering if the super retro advance adapter, retrogen and retroport could be adapted to work in a CPC...

keith56

Quote from: TotO on 06:35, 25 November 15
By the way, the PLUS capabilities are not interresting at all... They are limited colours display with fake sprites and bugged DMA.

The CPC+ features are pretty nice to have, but I'd take a 6128+V9990 any day!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

The_Mole_UK

Quote from: dcdrac on 00:24, 25 November 15
Would it be horrendously expensive to recreate the CPC from the 664 onwards with the plus capabilities built in and with all the expansion boards that have come out recently, and to have it all in one box?
No idea how possible it is, but...

I'd quite like a small box mounted on the back of the TV which is the equivalent of 6128 Plus hardware, but instead of ROMs, discs, tapes (is a 2018 model), cartridges, MF2, it uses images.

You could then remap the wireless USB keyboard as required.  Maybe this would be redesigned as a CPC layout.

I suspect it's called a netbook and WinAPE...

Something I've wanted to do for ages...  I am making with a PenPal in Greece a 7.5 GB version of Windows 7. :)

Gryzor

Quote from: The_Mole_UK on 13:47, 29 September 18No idea how possible it is, but...I'd quite like a small box mounted on the back of the TV which is the equivalent of 6128 Plus hardware, but instead of ROMs, discs, tapes (is a 2018 model), cartridges, MF2, it uses images.

CPCcast(TM) :D