News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[PLEASE READ] GX4000 with original power brick and C4CPC

Started by gerald, 21:04, 16 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

gerald

Quote from: Robo on 10:03, 22 May 15
Am I right in thinking that I can use this to power my gx4000 with or without the c4cpc?
Yes !

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:14, 20 May 15
I decided to get one of these UK plug : ECP-11-9U | 9V dc, 1 Output, Switch Mode, ErP Compliant, Plug In Power Supply, ordered it yesterday in the afternoon around 14:30 and it turned up this morning just after 08:00 , so they are fast.  :)

I've tested it quick and it works fine, I don't know if it stays cool as haven't had time to play with it yet.  :-\

Happy with the service though.  :D

RS are very good. They've only just dropped their £40 minimum order requirement in fact as they generally sell to professionals and serious hobbyists. Next day is pretty standard for them.

Wouldn't expect the PSU to get hot. In fact if the GX tries to use more than the PSU's specified current draw the PSU should just cut out. The RS supplies are generally very good.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Dinorast

Many thanks again to Gerald, excellent work - now my gx4000 works flawless again with the new 9v power supply

Neil79

Quote from: gerald on 13:37, 18 May 15
UK plug : ECP-11-9U | 9V dc, 1 Output, Switch Mode, ErP Compliant, Plug In Power Supply,

Am I correct in reading you only need this for a GX4000 with or without a C4CPC?

If this has been answered I'm sorry, it's 1.30am and I should be going to bed  :laugh:
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

seanb

This is for with a c4cpc but concensus in here is to ditch the official amstrad power adapter anyway as they are prone to failure and can take your gx4000 with them.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Beaps

Shoot I think I already fried my GX4000  :(

Any ideas where I can get the parts hightlighted in the first post to replace my knackered bits

Bryce

How did you manage that?

All parts except for the RAM are standard, still available parts and can be bought from any electronics supplier. The RAM should be available on ebay.

Bryce.

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 12:03, 10 June 15
All parts except for the RAM ASIC are standard, still available parts and can be bought from any electronics supplier. The RAM should be available on ebay.
;)

Bryce

?? The ASIC isn't highlighted. He asked "Any ideas where I can get the parts hightlighted in the first post" :)

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 21:37, 10 June 15
?? The ASIC isn't highlighted. He asked "Any ideas where I can get the parts hightlighted in the first post" :)
I think you'r right  ;D , read it too fast  ???

Beaps

I made may own multicart using the one eprom and switching it out. When I connected up the original Amstrad power supply it blow it. I thought it was the power supply so I bought another and it killed that also.

Bryce

Obviously you've shorted something on your multicart (assuming the GX still works with original carts).

Bryce.

Beaps

I aint got a power supply to test, scared tho if I do I will kill that one also, it will be 3 dead power supply's then

Bryce

Do you have a multimeter to check the GX and cartridge first?

Bryce.

manic23

Thanks for the info guys, I have just ordered the suggested RS power supply for my GX4000 and the C4CPC! Can't wait to get playing.

ImpaledGryphon

ok guys, this is going to sound like a really dumb question, probably because it is ;)

if i buy one of these rs components psu's for my gx4000 +c4cpc will i be able to use it to power my newly purchased cpc 464 with scart lead or are the voltages / pins totally different?

gerald

Quote from: ImpaledGryphon on 19:48, 21 July 15
if i buy one of these rs components psu's for my gx4000 +c4cpc will i be able to use it to power my newly purchased cpc 464 with scart lead or are the voltages / pins totally different?
GX4000 can be powered with either a 9V or a 5V power supply.
The 9V is the one you get (in fact it is 11V) by default with a GX4000, using the scart or modulator output. The 9V power (5.5/2.1mm) plug is the one close to the SCART plug
The 5V is only used when powered from a Plus monitor, using the DIN video output. The 5V power  (5.5/2.5mm) plug is the one on left when looking at the SCART plug.

The 464 only uses 5V (5.5/2.1mm) and you should not use the 9V on it.

So your question is far from being dumb  ;) , and the answer is no !

Bryce

Quote from: ImpaledGryphon on 19:48, 21 July 15

Do you have a link to the rs psu you intend buying?

Bryce.

ImpaledGryphon

Quote from: Bryce on 21:45, 21 July 15
Do you have a link to the rs psu you intend buying?

Bryce.

this was the one recommended on here for the gx4000 running rf or scart with a c4cpc ECP-11-9U | 9V dc, 1 Output, Switch Mode, ErP Compliant, Plug In Power Supply,

as for the cpc464, i only bought it the other day (as i said when i got here, i felt a bit of a fraud having only ever owned a gx4000), just a working unit with a scart cable and 30 games but no psu or monitor and sadly on ebay i can only find one seller and they don't have the psu separately, only with another scart lead which i don't need so i need an alternative, either one i already own for another system or a new 3rd party one.

ImpaledGryphon

Quote from: gerald on 20:22, 21 July 15
GX4000 can be powered with either a 9V or a 5V power supply.
The 9V is the one you get (in fact it is 11V) by default with a GX4000, using the scart or modulator output. The 9V power (5.5/2.1mm) plug is the one close to the SCART plug
The 5V is only used when powered from a Plus monitor, using the DIN video output. The 5V power  (5.5/2.5mm) plug is the one on left when looking at the SCART plug.

The 464 only uses 5V (5.5/2.1mm) and you should not use the 9V on it.

So your question is far from being dumb  ;) , and the answer is no !

thank you for the very clear explanation, now i know i need to find an alternative psu to run the 464.

onofrix

Do you think i can use the snes/nes power supply for the gx4000 with c4cpc?

Bryce

Quote from: onofrix on 15:38, 04 August 15
Do you think i can use the snes/nes power supply for the gx4000 with c4cpc?

Definitely NOT. The SNES PSU outputs AC and the GX4000 needs DC.

Bryce.

onofrix

Quote from: Bryce on 15:46, 04 August 15
Definitely NOT. The SNES PSU outputs AC and the GX4000 needs DC.

Bryce.
Ouch! I used to think that snes was DC. Thanks.

And maybe this one?:
dc adaptor

Bryce

The SNES is DC inside, but the transofrmer only supplies AC and it's converted inside the SNES.

Yes, that other one looks fine.

Bryce.