L

Amstrad CPC 6128 Expansion Port vs. Schneider CPC 6128 Expansion Port

Started by LambdaMikel, 20:09, 17 August 17

Previous topic - Next topic

LambdaMikel

I know that the Schneider CPC 6128 has a centronics socket for its expansion port (I own one).
But how about the Amstrad CPC 6128? I was unable to find a picture of it on the internet.
I believe it is an edge connector, and hence the same as CPC 464? Any differences? If not,
LambdaSpeak should also run on the 6128 without problems, right?

If somebody could post a picture that would be great.

Kris

There are no differences on expansion port whatever CPCs you have; everything is wired in the same way.

Pictures of all different motherboard are available on the wiki ;)

LambdaMikel

Thanks Kris... that means the Amstrad 6128 has a centronics socket as expansion port like Schneider 6128, or 464 expansion port edge is same as Amstrad 6128 expansion port edge?

||C|-|E||

All the Amstrad CPC boards can be fitted with centronics ports if you like to do it  :)  They used the same PCB layout for both versions, the edge and the centronics. Then, as far as I know, something that works in a CPC 464 should work in a CPC 6128. The Plus range has some differences, but they only affect the port for the external drive, if I recall well  :)

LambdaMikel

Right, just found your 6128 modding thread... I can see the edge connectors there. That answers my question, thanks!

PulkoMandy

It's a little more complex :)

The original Amstrad had edge connectors only. However, in order to enter the german market, which at the time had stricter rules on electromagnetic interferences, they had to add centronics ports and extra metal shielding on the motherboard.

Depending on the availability of the different types of motherboards (with and without centronics), it's also possible to find machines labelled AMSTRAD, with QWERTY or AZERTY keyboards, but with centronics connectors. Especially near the end of life of the CPC, it seems the remaining stocks of machines were sometimes sent from a country to another where it would be easier to sell them. In some cases you get centronics ports, spanish markings on the case (all the engraved ones: "volumen" on volume knob for example), but french labels on the disk drive, or other unusual mixes like this.