News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

40010 ULA/ASICs available!

Started by Spirantho, 13:27, 01 May 13

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 08:33, 02 May 13
He's obviously not aware of the current consumer protection laws. If he offers it for 61p then he also has to sell it for that price.

I tried ordering some, but ordering from a German PC is impossible. I need to use the AltGr key to type @ in my email address and the site blocks this key. It also blocks copy/pasting, so I have no way of completing the form... What a twat.

Bryce.
not always true.

He can claim that it was a mistake and either not accept payment or refund it.
That is common practice now.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Yes, but he'd have a problem claiming it was a mistake when it's been offered at that price for so long.

Bryce.

Spirantho

Especially given I alerted him to the mistake 3 days ago. I think any court would claim he had culpability, and that he had to sell it for that price.

If it were a massively inflated price, I think I'd treat it differently, but as I'm happy with the £6.95 pricetag (and to be fair, it's worth more than that) I'm inclined to just say What the Heck and let it pass.

And to his credit, I did receive a shiny new, working 40010 the very next day after ordering.
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

Spirantho

I just modded my 40007 464 to use my new 40010, so that I have a 40007 to swap. :)
Just change the resistors highlighted with the values I've put in, remove the two 1 Watt 12 Ohm resistors in the white shoe-lace type insulators, and replace the capacitor with a wire link as in the photo.
I've not tested thoroughly, but so far it looks perfect!
(Needless to say I take no responsibility if you try this and it blows up or something).
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

Munchausen

Quote from: Spirantho on 11:35, 02 May 13
I just modded my 40007 464 to use my new 40010, so that I have a 40007 to swap. :)
Just change the resistors highlighted with the values I've put in, remove the two 1 Watt 12 Ohm resistors in the white shoe-lace type insulators, and replace the capacitor with a wire link as in the photo.
I've not tested thoroughly, but so far it looks perfect!
(Needless to say I take no responsibility if you try this and it blows up or something).

That's awesome! I'll let you know when mine arrives and we can do the swap ;)

ralferoo

Quote from: Spirantho on 09:12, 02 May 13
Especially given I alerted him to the mistake 3 days ago. I think any court would claim he had culpability, and that he had to sell it for that price.
Sadly, that's not true. If something is mispriced, the seller can either choose to honour the correct price or refuse to sell you the item. There's nothing to compel them to complete a sale until the point when money is taken and goods are provided.

It does get a bit trickier legally if they've already accepted payment, but I think companies are still permitted to cancel the order and refund the money in full. Obviously, most big companies e.g. supermarkets or high street chains don't because it generates bad will and they can generally afford to absorb the cost of the mistake.

TotO

I don't take care about the 2 GA sockets on the 6128 ! :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Munchausen

For anyone interested, I found an affordable source of RAM ICs (at least I'm 99% sure these are compatible).

They're used, but fingers crossed they're ok (I bought 24 in case some don't work).

I'll let you know how it goes when I get around to swapping them.

Bryce

If it's 4164s you're after, you can still buy them new here too: 4164-120 - RAM 64K X 1 bei reichelt elektronik

Bryce.

Spirantho

I just stocked up from that eBay guy too. :) $21 for 24 chips - that's good value!
Ian Gledhill

steve

Well, I have not yet received my 61p chip, in fact I had totally forgotten about it until I saw the unread threads, I have just sent them an email about it.
Has anyone received theirs yet?

Spirantho

If you only paid 61p I strongly suspect you won't be getting anything any time soon.
I'd check your spam filter as he's responded to other people I believe - he certainly did for me.
Ian Gledhill

steve

I also had to pay £2 postage, they have taken the money from my account so I expect to receive it, but they seem to be taking their time sending it.

Spirantho

How did you pay them? If you paid them directly (e.g. Paypal), they didn't take any money from your account - you gave them money from your account, which is quite different.
Did you check your spam filter? I'd be very surprised if he did send you anything - especially as when I ordered mine it arrived the next day.
Ian Gledhill

steve

I paid by debit card, I have not received any emails at all from them, if they take my money, they must send me a chip.

steve

The chip is still listed at 61p and in stock so they cannot tell me it is incorrectly pricedor out of stock.

Munchausen

I paid £6 or whatever for mine.. and it came two days later. I got the mail I posted on the previous page later the same day I ordered it. Contact them and ask what's going on?

steve

Bad news, I am not getting one >:( , They said they did send me an email, but there is no sign of it my end, they asked if I wanted to pay £6.95 or have a refund, so I opted for a refund.
I did not need one of these chips, I just ordered one to see if they would send it as if they do not change the price when they know it is wrong, they have (in my opinion) a legal and moral obligation to sell it at the advertised price. >:(

steve

And they have still not changed the price!.

Bryce

It must be easier to change a web page than to send out all these e-mails. I think someone should report it as fraud. There's no reasonable explanation for leaving the price at 61p.

Bryce.

Spirantho

It's not fraud - he's not taking any money without refunding it, and he is (usually at least) sending emails informing of the error. It's just dumb. I don't understand why he doesn't change it... but he's only harming himself.

I think at this stage you could legally enforce him to sell it at the cheaper price, as he's only allowed to change the price in case of an error, and as we've alerted him to the error and he's not changed it, that's not a viable option.

Of course in reality, the lawyers fees to enforce this would cost more than 1000 ULAs so it's just not worth it.
Ian Gledhill

Bryce

Delibrately and knowingly advertising something at a 9% of its actual price IS fraud.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Of course it's fraud, charging or not charging, refunding or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

redbox

I appreciate what you're all saying, but think this issue needs some perspective...

1) it's obviously a small company
2) he probably doesn't do his run/maintain his website
3) it's not a high ticket or common item

Therefore, it would be entirely reasonable if, for example, a third party (could be an company or brother/son/cousin/kid from down the road etc) does his website to say "I can't update the website/price myself but as soon as anyone has bought the item I've taken immediate steps to notify them of the error (email) and offer a refund straight away".

It's not as if he's advertising £300 TVs for £3 (remember Tesco anyone?).  This is an Amstrad chip that maybe 20 people in the whole world are interested in buying.  20 * £6 = £120.  Hardly 'fraud' is it, and quite possibly has a very reasonable explanation.

Has anyone emailed to actually ask why the price is wrong?

ralferoo

Actually, to be honest, I'm inclined to believe now that it is deliberate fraud, even though at first I thought it was probably just a mistake. The law also doesn't make a distinction on how big the trader is or how many people are likely to be taken in by the fraud.

The simple fact is that this guy has a website that clearly has inventory and price levels for a lot of stock. If this guy genuinely cannot correct a pricing mistake within 2 weeks of being notified there's a problem, then he shouldn't be operating the website at all. I'd excuse the guy if it took a week to update his prices on the web - after all, smaller companies might only update this once a week, but after 2 weeks there's quite clearly something a foot.

The fact that he clearly has stock available, and e.g. told the guy who'd ordered 10 at that price that the price was wrong, but he'd sell him one for the price of 10, he's clearly using the artificially low price to encourage people to buy from him. This is classic bait-and-switch, and falls under "unfair business practices" in the UK. He'd get a massive bollocking and probably a large fine from Trading Standards if someone reported him for this, because it is fraud now it's gone beyond the point of being a simple mistake.

That many people here have tried to order this product at the advertised price over a period of several weeks and there's still been no attempt to correct the price shows that he's clearly trying it on.