News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

40010 ULA/ASICs available!

Started by Spirantho, 13:27, 01 May 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirantho

Hi everybody,
I'm not sure if you all know about this already, but I found this yesterday:
40010 Amstrad IC in UK - 121spares
Before you all do what I did, though, and buy 10 - apparently there's a pricing error and they're actually £6.95 each. At least that's what he charged me when I tried to buy 10! Still a good price, though, and my one came today (ordered yesterday) and I've already tested it working in my later CPC464.

Just thought you might want to know. Apparently he has 20 left in stock.... You can email him here: sales at 121spares dot co dot uk if you want any. You can also try and buy them at his advertised price, but I suspect you won't get very far (I think it's a genuine mistake).

Hope that helps someone!
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

steve

If it was a mistake he should have fixed it by now, but he hasn't.

TotO

It look to be 0.47£ each (that is a common price range for a logic IC).
So, I don't understand why you have payed "so much" for 10.

I think that mistake is what you payed...
But, nice to know that item available for fixing the CPC.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Spirantho

All I know is that £6.95 isn't a bad price for a custom ASIC... I'm happy to pay that much for it.

It is rather odd that he's not changed the price.. if someone here successfully buys one at that advertised price please post here!
At £6.95 it's a good price, at 50p it'd be a major bargain :)
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

Munchausen

Ok, so I just did the same thing (also tried to buy 10), and I too got an email:

"The order you paced was price incorrectly and the correct price is £6.95 per IC.

Would you like a full refund or I can agree to send one out for the total you paid in the order."

So I'm just getting 1 now. Still, I've got a fried 6128, and even if this doesn't fix it (the RAM is the main suspect) it's still a very useful spare to have.

TotO

Sure, you get the choice to be refunded and you probably done the good choice to keep them.
In fact, the seller try to find "how much" he can sold them... And now, he know that 6£ each is OK for 10 of them. :D

But great that you do that, to save them. :)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Munchausen

Unfortunately my burnt out 6128 is a really odd version that has a 40007 gate array. Hopefully this part can also be used without too much trouble.

TotO

It's not the same pinout... It work?  :-\ 

Munchausen

cpcparts.net stopped giving them out for free I think.

TotO

Quote from: Munchausen on 17:11, 01 May 13
cpcparts.net stopped giving them out for free I think.
Yes, I have edited my post.
They look new?

Munchausen

Quote from: TotO on 17:11, 01 May 13
It's not the same pinout... It work?  :-\

I have no idea. It is recorded on the CPC wiki here: Mainboard Versions - CPCWiki

Search for MC0057A

I guess I may have to make an adapter board for it or something, I'm not really sure yet. Hopefully it is still working...

TotO

Sure, it's a strange version...
May be better to find a 40007 from a dead 464 to fix it.

Spirantho

The 40010 I ordered looks brand new, yes. I was half expecting it to turn up and be something completely different... goodness knows how he ended up with 21 CPC6128 ASICs (or how long he's had them for and nobody knew about them!).
Ian Gledhill

Munchausen

Quote from: TotO on 17:21, 01 May 13
Sure, it's a strange version...
May be better to find a 40007 from a dead 464 to fix it.

Yeah I guess so, though I hate breaking one computer to fix another. The gate array is really the only completely irreplaceable part in a CPC (especially the 464 which doesn't have a PAL for banking), so if I take one from a 464 it will truly kill it.

Actually, does anyone know the contents of the PAL so it could be replaced? Meaning the 40031 IC...

I'd really hope that the 6128 just has dead RAM, then it will not be so hard to repair. I have another 6128 but it's in almost 100% new condition (and boxed) so I want to get my old one fixed and then put the good one away for safe keeping. Plus, the dead one is the one I grew up with, so I just have to revive it! If anyone finds somewhere to get a reasonable price for RAM ICs I'd be interested...

TotO

Quote from: Munchausen on 17:32, 01 May 13
Yeah I guess so, though I hate breaking one computer to fix another.
You own a uncommon version of the 6128... Adding a 40010 on it may need to hack your board... It's worst.
40007 IC can be found sometime on ebay, if you don't want to "hurt" a 464 defective computer.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Munchausen on 17:32, 01 May 13
Actually, does anyone know the contents of the PAL so it could be replaced? Meaning the 40031 IC...
I don't know if anybody has dumped it.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Spirantho

One of my early 464s had a bad 40007. I'm going to take the 40007 out of one of my other later 464s with two ASIC locations, put a 40010 in it instead (in the hole marked "40010" :) ), and convert it to as if it were always meant for a 40010.
That way both 464s live again!
Ian Gledhill

Munchausen

Oh that's a good point, I wonder if my 464 can take a 40010. Then I'm sorted. Is there anything to swapping a 40007 with a 40010 in a 464, besides desoldering one and soldering the other one in?

EDIT - my 464 already has a 40010 :(

Spirantho

Given the fact I have about 6 464s, I may be able to find another board with two sockets and a good 40007. Then if you could get me a working 40010 I could let you have the 40007 in exchange..?
Ian Gledhill

Munchausen

If you do have one this would be great! I could just send you the 40010 I just bought in exchange for a 40007. Then I don't even need to do the swap - I can just put the 40007 in my dead 6128 and leave the 464 alone. let me know and then I'll PM you when the 40010 arrives.

Thanks! :D

fano

Quote from: Munchausen on 17:09, 01 May 13
Unfortunately my burnt out 6128 is a really odd version that has a 40007 gate array. Hopefully this part can also be used without too much trouble.
Very weird thing , saw this one working or you got it already fried ?
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Munchausen

Quote from: fano on 18:51, 01 May 13
Very weird thing , saw this one working or you got it already fried ?

I had it working for 25 years, so it definitely uses the 40007. I accidentally blew it using a 12V PSU (I had a PSU with 12V and 5V with the same plugs, and used the wrong one).

steve

OK, I have just ordered one for 61p, if he wants me to pay £6 should I pay it?, it seems like he is chancing his arm, trying to see how much buyers will pay.

Spirantho

You'll get the same email... he must be tired of writing it now. :)

Still don't know why he doesn't just change the price!!
Ian Gledhill

Bryce

He's obviously not aware of the current consumer protection laws. If he offers it for 61p then he also has to sell it for that price.

I tried ordering some, but ordering from a German PC is impossible. I need to use the AltGr key to type @ in my email address and the site blocks this key. It also blocks copy/pasting, so I have no way of completing the form... What a twat.

Bryce.