News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

464 + DDI-1 + Gotek / 3" Read Errors.

Started by slimez40k, 09:44, 09 July 19

Previous topic - Next topic

slimez40k

Hello all
Recently I got back into retro computing (I had a 464 + DKtroniks 64k ram + DDI-1 as a child but it was sold to help pay for an Amiga 500) when I had a chance to buy a Job lot of CPC464s in various states of repair and DKtroniks 64k ram expansion and a "Working" DDI-1/FD-1 floppy disk.
All the CPC's work to some extent (except one - the newest Stripe version) with some missing keys or wonky tape decks.
I have restored one (so far)  to full working condition.

The one known issue was that the FD-1 would need a new belt, which I subsequently replaced and cleaned out the old belt debris (stick to both rollers ... messy).
However after replacing this the drive still would not read Disks - "Disk Read failed" after a few attempts to read the disk - I have a couple of known good game disks that should be ok.
I have now replaced the internal 3" disk with a gotek (using all the correct cables) and that now also shows exactly the same behaviour.
You can see it accessing the tracks on the .dsk files on the Gotek LCD.

I am starting to suspect that the DDI-1 or the ribbon cable is a bit suspect.

Anyone got and other ideas? Or how I can work out what is actually going wrong.

Cheers
-Simon

Bryce

I'd suspect the DDI-1, usually one of the line driver IC's failing causes such annoyances.

Bryce.

slimez40k

Follow up on this:

as fixing "one of the line driver IC's failing" is pretty much beyond my basic refurbing abilities I decided to try and get another DDI-1 .
luckily ebay had one and i manage to get it for a price I was happy to pay, including the DDI-1, FD-1, Manual and some discs.

After some testing it turns out the old FD-1 was the issue.
I have tested the New FD-1 with the goitek in it with both old an new DDI-1 and it works fine with both.

I need to really take it apart and see if I can see anything wrong with electronics inside.

Regards
Simon