News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 3.5 drive issue

Started by CThiesUGP, 02:58, 28 June 13

Previous topic - Next topic

CThiesUGP

Sorry if this has discussed before but here it goes.I purchased a 3.5 drive kit and the first time it worked .afterwards all I get when typing CAT is "Bad Command". Furthermore I had just replaced the belt in my 3 inch drive, worked the first time I used it ,afterwards it just makes clicking noises and then says "Bad Command". any thoughts?

JonB

Is there any drive activity when you enter CAT?
Has the new adapter cable got a "make the 3.5" drive A:" switch? Check that first.
Clean the contacts on the PCB with surgical spirit or meths.
Check the 3" drive's ribbon connector. Right way round? Properly connected?
Disconnect the 3.5" drive and retry with the 3" drive, to see if the problem is with the 3" drive.

arnoldemu

Quote from: CThiesUGP on 02:58, 28 June 13
Sorry if this has discussed before but here it goes.I purchased a 3.5 drive kit and the first time it worked .afterwards all I get when typing CAT is "Bad Command". Furthermore I had just replaced the belt in my 3 inch drive, worked the first time I used it ,afterwards it just makes clicking noises and then says "Bad Command". any thoughts?
some of these kits force the 3.5" drive to be ready so you need to make sure a disc is in the drive.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

CThiesUGP

I did everything. check cable cleaned contacts. There is Drive Activity it worked the first time after I changed the belts on the 3 inch drive but it still clicks and gives a bad command error. the 3.5 drive has activity when typing cat but nothing but the bad command error. could it be a controller issue?

Bryce

I assume you are trying all this with the external drive disconnected?

Bryce.

Cholo

Quite a common issue with the external 3,5" kit that it causes troubles for the users.

Have a look here:
How do I get this 3.5" external drive to work?
and make sure to check the wiki guide. Make sure to always have the "primary" switch in "off" position before turning on the hardware.

Edit: "bad command" could be a powering of the drive issue. Like powering up the hardware goes wrong. Powering on the external drive first then the cpc is usually the best way.