News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128+ belt drive repair

Started by elspuddy, 15:41, 01 June 11

Previous topic - Next topic

elspuddy

hi
iv just tried to repair my 6128+ drive belt and i can see why it's not working, the belt has melted on to the drive wheel (the big white wheel) and to motor wheel (the small golden wheel) , is there an easer way of fixing this ? Because trying to scrape the melted plastic is making me sick :(

Bryce

I hate to be the one to tell you, but.... No. There's not a lot you can do but scrape it all off by hand. I would suggest using a cotton bud with some spirits / alcohol or similar on it, which might make the job a little easier, but not much. Look on the bright side, if that's all that's broken, you'll soon have a 6128+ with a fully working drive... now that's something to look forward to.

Bryce.

fano

I use a mini drill (mine is far to be powerfull as a Dremel) with a little metallic brush to clean up the metal wheel and i make the job like Bryce said for the big plastic wheel.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

elspuddy

thanks for the replys looks like i'l have to buy some isopropyl alcohol :)
but let say i take the real easy root and put a 3.5" drive in there, what would i need to do bar modify a 3.5" drive to output a RDY-Singal ? and is there some instructions about some where ? iv looked on the wiki and found only how to mod the 3.5" drive

Gryzor

Except for alcohol there's something else you can use: oil.

Also: probably WD40. I recently used some to great effect to remove burnt plastic from my oven's ceramic plates - couldn't believe it! I mean it was melted plastic, rock-hard and impossible to remove... yed it did it!

Pentagon

QuoteAlso: probably WD40. I recently used some to great effect to remove burnt plastic from my oven's ceramic plates - couldn't believe it! I mean it was melted plastic, rock-hard and impossible to remove... yed it did it!

Thats true !

I use WD-40 for that kind of problems too and it always worked fine. WD-40 is the best method to clean and to oil an vintage 3" Drive. Its working nearly noiseless and like the first day, when i cleaned it with WD-40.

Kindly Regards
Pentagon

redbox

Quote from: elspuddy on 23:49, 01 June 11
but let say i take the real easy root and put a 3.5" drive in there, what would i need to do bar modify a 3.5" drive to output a RDY-Singal ? and is there some instructions about some where ? iv looked on the wiki and found only how to mod the 3.5" drive

The 3.5" drive in my Plus doesn't have the ready signal sorted.

Only thing is it means if you do a CAT when there's no disc in the drive, the Plus crashes.  Apart from that it all works fine.

Gryzor

Quote from: Pentagon on 10:15, 02 June 11
Thats true !

I use WD-40 for that kind of problems too and it always worked fine. WD-40 is the best method to clean and to oil an vintage 3" Drive. Its working nearly noiseless and like the first day, when i cleaned it with WD-40.

Kindly Regards
Pentagon

Actually, now that I think of it, alcohol is not the way to clear rubber or soft plastics. Oil is much better at it.

And yeah, WD40 proves to be an amazing and extremely versatile substance!

From Wikipedia: "WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement – 40th Attempt"". Heh!

Also, very interesting read:

Official List of 2000+ Uses!

elspuddy

just making shoure here when you say oil your not talking chrisp and dry but wd-40 right ;)