News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128+ Cassette / tape mod - could do with some help

Started by AmstradNoob, 18:53, 24 November 18

Previous topic - Next topic

AmstradNoob

I've never used a tape on an CPC before, but I have watched a few Youtube videos of the process.

I've followed this, http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DIY_Plus_Tape_Socket and how to build a cable.

I've used the commands |tape

I've wrote a small basic program, of

10 PRINT "Hello world!"
20 GOTO 10

I know I've managed to save it to tape with SAVE "HELLO"

I've played the audio back through the deck's own speaker, and it does make sound the way I'm used to with computer data being on a tape. (I've left space at the start of the tape, so it doesn't try and use the non-data part)

Here's my problem(s)

The relay remote connection doesn't seem to be working. I have to unplug that cable, to make the deck active.

I've wired it up, matching the picture on the bottom of the relay, to the diagram. The same goes for the 1n41001 diode direction. I'm using a 2SC1815 (Not crossing the legs, since there's no need), and a 1K resistor.

I don't seem to be able to load back my little program, even after making sure the CPC is in |tape mode, and using Load" (I have no retail CPC cassette just yet)

I know the deck works, because I'm able to load stuff on other retro computers.

I've read other people giving up, and others making it work. I can't find any actual internal photos of an install. Just that someone took a photo of the port from the outside.

Any thoughts on where things might be going wrong?

tjohnson

Voltage to activate the relay? I assume its a 5v relay, maybe it isn't getting sufficient volltage.

Bryce

Can you hear the relay clicking? Is the relay installed the correct way around (if it has a diode inside you need to have wired it in the correct polarity)?
In any case, you can always just ignore the remote part of the circuitry and just press the play or stop buttons when required.

Bryce.

AmstradNoob

Hi,

I hear nothing from the relay - but I think that's because I have it wired up incorrectly. I was just following that diagram, not taking into account it might not just be the way the underside the of the relay switch I have looks. I have no electronics background. I'm sure that diagram works for people who understand electronics, but there's BOM with pictures, or what wire goes to which pin of a din socket.

Looking at https://cpcrulez.fr/hardware_montage_8x-cpc_6128_plus-tape_upgrade_AA.htm for the din wiring - I've just realised the pins to wire to on the board are different, but the diode seems to be the other way around?

Either way, the CPC seems to save, but refuses to load.

I'm going to recheck my wiring, and give it yet another go.

Bryce

The diode should be going from gnd to positive. It's there to absorb any voltage spikes that the relay coil may produce when the power is taken away.

Bryce.

AmstradNoob

Can you please recommend a good relay to use?

I think I might be using the wrong type?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-12V-Relay-SONLE-Mini-PCB-Relay-SPDT-5-Pin-10A-SRD-XXVDC-SL-C-T73-New-Original/401308694382

Is the type I'm using.

Going by that the CPC pins are 1 to 8 going downwards.

I have pin 1 going to the white line side of the diode, and pin 8 going to the other side.

Then each line from either side goes on to either side of the relay coils.

Then for the remote, I've got a connection from the "middle" pin (com), and one from the Normally Open pin to either side of the DIN socket. Using both of the outer pins on that.

I hope I've explained that correctly, and well enough?

Thanks for the help so far.