6128 scart to composite, component, vga or what (on a projector)?

Started by emuola, 19:05, 14 December 10

Previous topic - Next topic

emuola

Got my 6128 (UK) up and running (thanks to you guys!). I have a scart cable and all my other retro computers (c64, msx, TG-16, A1200 etc) in my "retro rack" are connected to a Sanyo projector via a composite video switch. I just realized, that I cannot connect the Amstrad to the switch, because it has a RGB output and no composite whatsoever. My projector accepts composite, component, s-video and vga. What would be the easiest/cheapest/most reasonable way to connect the 6128 to the projector? I really want all my retro stuff to be connected to the projector due to space restraints  ::) Unfortunately there's no room for even a small tv :(
Amstrad CPC 6128+ and internal HxC floppy emulator

Bryce

The easiest way to get CPC RGB to composite is to buy an MP1 or MP2 and convert it (very simple matter of adding a socket) or by building your own RGB to composite converter using an MC1377. All the info for both the MP conversion and the DIY converter is here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/LCD_And_Plasma_TV_Solution

Bryce.

emuola

Ok, thanks. So I need somekind of a converter anyway. Doh  ;) I have the following converter hooked up with my A1200 and it produces a very good picture :) I don't know if you have encouterd this before. The price is very reasonable if you ask me:

http://amigamaniac.com/RGB_to_PAL_NTSC_adapter.html

technical stuff is here:

http://www.amigamaniac.com/V3_RGB_adapter_notes.html

Sorry, if this has already been posted here before. It seems even easier that MP1/MP2, right?

Bryce

That adapter should work with the CPC too. You'll have to make a cable to connect the correct signals, but it does more or less what an MP2 does. The MP2 has of course the advantage, that it supplies the 5V and 12V that the CPC needs, but if you already own one of these, then use it.

I had a look at the technical notes. You'll have to connect R,G,B, GND and CSYNC (just called SYNC on the CPC side), the pinout on the CPC connector is here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Connector:Monitor

Bryce.

emuola

Thanks Bryce :) Especially for pointing that "c-sync" out. I was wondering what exactly is the cpc "sync" :) We'll see how it goes.

emuola

Okey dokey, something different this time... I found out that my projector has "a RGB scart capability" by using a special cable hooked up to the projector's vga-input (and by choosing "scart-option" for the vga input in the osd). So. I decided to try it out by making a cable based on the pinout in the projector's manual. Guess what? It works  ;D Strange thing is that if I select the scart option from the projector osd, the image shows, but it's like it's zoomed. Text is huge etc. Then when I choose "RGB analog" from the osd the image looks fine... Projector does not really recognise the signal type (shows unknown in the osd), but it definitely works. I attached the pinout for the projector and the cable. I just connected R,G,B, Ground and Composite sync with Amstrad's corresponding pins.

I guess I just got lucky  ;)

Bryce

It's probably reading the signals from some of the SCART pins to try to Auto-detect what type of signal it's recieving, but these pins aren't always connected on a CPC SCART adapter cable (depending on which one you made). If you try this version (with the Capacitor included) http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/TV_SCART_cable#Alternative_RGB_Wiring  it might be able to detect that it's an RGB signal.

How good is the picture quality in mode 2 ? Is there colour scrolling (making the text difficult to read) ?

Bryce.

emuola

Sorry Bryce, I might have been a bit unclear here. I just made a DIN6 (male) - VGA (female) -cable. I just use a standard vga-cable between the adapter and the projector. I edited the message and attached also a picture of the cable (sorry it's a bit big...)

Bryce

Ah, ok. It may be that the un-marked pins are actually being used by the SCART to VGA adapter that was supplied with the projector, but they're not given in the pinout. I'd be very careful about experimenting with them though, in case you damage the projector. Maybe you could test the VGA -> SCART cable to see if the unmarked pins are actually connected to the SCART socket?

Bryce.

emuola

QuoteAh, ok. It may be that the un-marked pins are actually being used by  the SCART to VGA adapter that was supplied with the projector, but  they're not given in the pinout. I'd be very careful about  experimenting with them though, in case you damage the projector. Maybe  you could test the VGA -> SCART cable to see if the unmarked pins  are actually connected to the SCART socket?

Yes, I only dared to try this out, because there's no voltage in any of the Amstrad's pins  ;D I think I'll leave it now like this, because it works  :) I'd be curious though to know should this actually work at all? My own reasoning is that R,G,B,Ground and sync is enough to generate a "working" signal, although the projector does not know what it it.

Bryce

Exactly. the extra pins wouldn't actually improve the picture or anything, everything you need is connected. But a slight correction: The CPC pins do have voltages! They may be relatively small signal voltages (under 3V), but they certainly are there.

On a standard SCART socket two pins are used to determine what type of signal is being sent:

Pin 16 determines the signal source: 0V = Composite, 1V (or higher, may be up to 3V) = RGB (that's what the capacitor does on my version of the SCART cable). This pin is also used for the composite blanking signal. which is why a CPC connected to a Plasma or LCD TV may flicker if the capacitor is missing.

Pin 8 determines the picture format: 6V = 16:9 (Widescreen) 12V = 4:3 (Normal picture). This pin isn't always read for auto-settings by TVs because most older VCRs never sent this signal in the first place (due to widescreen not yet existing).

I assume these two signals are connected to two of the unmarked VGA pins.

Bryce.

emuola

QuoteBut a slight correction: The CPC pins do have voltages! They may be  relatively small signal voltages (under 3V), but they certainly are  there.

Thanks for the correction, you're right :) I meant that there's no 5V or 12V going out on any of those pins :) For example the A1200 monitor connector has 12v output on one pin (if I don't remember completely wrong).

Gryzor

I don't have much to add, tech-wise, but can you post a photo? :)

emuola

QuoteI don't have much to add, tech-wise, but can you post a photo?

I attached a photo a few messages back  :) It's kinda big, but bare with me...

Gryzor

Quote from: emuola on 07:09, 20 December 10
I attached a photo a few messages back  :) It's kinda big, but bare with me...

No - I meant of your setup, not the cable :)

emuola

QuoteNo - I meant of your setup, not the cable

Ok, silly me :) I'll post some pictures later today :)

emuola

Ok, why wait :) Here are some pictures. I had trouble with the maximum file size of attachments, but I guess you get the picture (pun intended). Amstrad is still on the "side table", because it's the latest item I got me :)

Gryzor

This made me laugh :D

-First, the DIY projector shelf
-Then, the server closet with the machines neatly places in it
-at the bottom, the usual chaos of joysticks and cables :) :) :)

Pros:
CPC in 80 inches! Can't beat that! (except from when I buy mine, then it'll be 110 inches)

Cons: the 6128 in the corner? Saaaad!

emuola

Yep, I know my stuff has a kind of a d-i-y label to it  ;) The projector shelf actually is really good. It's very sturdy (although it might not look like it) and you can "slide" the projector on it for rough picture adjustment. I'll get another rack soon, so Amstrad gets a place it deserves :)

The room also serves as a guest room, so I'll have to try to keep the stuff pretty compact. I chose the rack, because it was cheap (and it looks like it too ;) and it's compact. Thr only poblem is that for example Amstrad won't fit inside that rack, because it's rather wide compared to some other 8bit machines.

redbox

orange

Quote from: emuola on 13:04, 17 December 10
Yes, I only dared to try this out, because there's no voltage in any of the Amstrad's pins  ;D I think I'll leave it now like this, because it works  :) I'd be curious though to know should this actually work at all? My own reasoning is that R,G,B,Ground and sync is enough to generate a "working" signal, although the projector does not know what it it.

sometimes sync is sent with green, its called sync-on-green.

emuola

QuoteThat's one cool setup.  8)

Quotesometimes sync is sent with green, its called sync-on-green.

Ok, that's something I didn't know. Thanks for the info :)

Microprofessor

Hi,

I've got a related problem: I want to mod my MP2 with a extra FBAS connector. The entry of the wiki only shows the board of the MF1. Can anyone tell me where I can find the pins for FBAS and ground on the MF2 baord?

Thanks!

Bryce

As far as I can remember, the PCB in the MP2 has empty spaces for the composite socket and a few extra components needed to do add FBAS. I've done this mod before, but I don't remember the details or have any fotos. I also explained how to do the mod to DevilMarkus at one time, so he may still have the details or fotos.

Bryce.