News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 to HxC cable question

Started by beaker, 23:30, 10 April 12

Previous topic - Next topic

beaker

Now I've bought a 6128 (original generation), I was wondering if this cable will work with the HxC I am currently using on my 6128 plus, and if all the features mentioned in the listing will also work with the HxC?

AMSTRAD/SPECTRUM +3 CABLE TO CONNECT 3,5" FLOPPY DRIVE WITH DRIVE+SIDE SELECTION

Beaker

Terje_Norway

Hi,

I think it should work  ::)

The HxC card is designed to replace a 3.5" disc drive, and thats just what You would do if Your buying that cable.

You could also check the following action/seller.

Amstrad CPC Spectrum +3 ribbon cable SD floppy emulator | eBay

I have bought all my leads from him  8)

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

Bryce

Does your Classic 6128 have an edge cable??

Bryce.

beaker

Quote from: Terje_Norway on 23:40, 10 April 12
You could also check the following action/seller.

Amstrad CPC Spectrum +3 ribbon cable SD floppy emulator | eBay

Thanks Terje_Norway, yeah I've bought a couple of cables off this seller before. I am using the one he sells for the plus at the moment for the HxC and have the internal cable sitting in the drawer as I was going to mount the HxC internally. Just interested in the other cable for the price, and as it has the ABBA switch built in the and the side switch so hopefully I can play R-Type on a real CPC   :D

Quote from: Bryce on 09:34, 11 April 12
Does your Classic 6128 have an edge cable??

I am assuming so... while there's no images of the back on the listing, it's coming from the UK.

Bryce

Then it should work. Although when he refers to ABBA switch I assume that is to "flip" the disk, ie: swap side A and B, not swap drives A and B as this is impossible without making changes inside the CPC.

Bryce.

Edit: I just checked his connections, his switch is an ABAA switch, ie: it makes the external drive respond as drive A:, but the internal drive is NOT then B:

beaker

Quote from: Bryce on 13:59, 11 April 12
Then it should work. Although when he refers to ABBA switch I assume that is to "flip" the disk, ie: swap side A and B, not swap drives A and B as this is impossible without making changes inside the CPC.

Bryce.

Edit: I just checked his connections, his switch is an ABAA switch, ie: it makes the external drive respond as drive A:, but the internal drive is NOT then B:

Thanks Bryce, so can the CPC cope with 2x A drives? Will it just load whichever drive has the disc mounted in it?

Bryce

Well the HxC actually offers this function internally already, but Jeff recommends removing or at least disconnecting the internal drive first. I've never actually tried it myself, but I assume they would clash with each other.

Bryce.

Gryzor

That ABBA switch will switch the HxC between A and B. Though, IIRC, the internal drive stays as A no matter what. I'm a bit confused now, haven't changed my configuration in a while so I'm not 100% sure, but it works...

beaker

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:55, 11 April 12
That ABBA switch will switch the HxC between A and B. Though, IIRC, the internal drive stays as A no matter what. I'm a bit confused now, haven't changed my configuration in a while so I'm not 100% sure, but it works...

That is wierd. Just gone into the menu of my HxC and tried it as both A then B on a standard external floppy cable without any switches from my 6128 Plus and the HxC is always the B drive.

Bryce

You need to change the jumpers on the PCB to make it react as A: Check the installation guide for details.

Bryce.

TFM

Careful with Plus and CPC! If they both have centronics B-drive ports, DON'T use the same cable. That may even toast the FDC!

That problem is documented a lot.

I don't talk about edge connectors here. Never used that stuff.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

It's highly unlikely that it would fry the FDC, but it definitely wouldn't work, the pinout is shifted. The CPC probably wouldn't boot when the wrong one is connected. I solve the problem with one cable with three connectors on the CPC end: Normal CPC Centronics, Plus CPC and CPC/Spectrum +3 edge.

Bryce.

TFM

I made adapters for the Plus: Two centronics ports and a flat cable. The cable is shifted by one position. That works perfect.

Ok, if may not fry the FDC immediately, but exchanging all GND by all other signals (including +5V!) is the worst one can do. Here Amstrad really did cause a unwanted issue.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

The cable is actually shifted 3 positions as far as I can remeber, but I'd have to check the cable again.

The most likely part to fail would be the LM7805 (5V regulator) in the Monitor, but they have a thermal overload protection, so they usually come back to life even after a serious short-circuit. Short circuits rarely destroy ICs, because the IC gets too little current and not too much.

Bryce.

beaker

Thanks to everyone for responding, I think the machine has turned up so can take a look at the connection. I say "think" because I got a strange voice mail from the UPS chap saying he's delivered my package to Tesco Supermarket.... I DON'T EVEN WORK AT TESCO'S!!!!  :'(

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 09:52, 12 April 12
The cable is actually shifted 3 positions as far as I can remeber, but I'd have to check the cable again.

Yes, better check! If somebody picks up this idea (3 positions!) if will be not good. It's one position, at least that works for me  :laugh:

Quote from: beaker on 15:20, 12 April 12
... because I got a strange voice mail from the UPS chap saying he's delivered my package to Tesco Supermarket.... I DON'T EVEN WORK AT TESCO'S!!!!  :'(

Oh damn! Hope this is just a fools-day thingy. I really hope you get it!!!
TFM of FutureSoft

Cholo

EDIT: this post only apply to a normal amstrad cpc 6128 (donno about plus)

to Beaker: that cable does work as a Primary/secondary drive switch (without any additional modding).

The correct use of the cable is:
1. turn on the external drive and 6128.
2. afterwards flick the drive switch from "off" (no connection) to "on" (connect pin 11 & 12) and the internal and external drive becomes "primary" and internal "secondary" (the |A and |B command works for each drive and games that bypass those command and try to access "primary" drive directly will correctly access the external drive).
3. after you are done and the amstrad has been turned off, flick the cable-switch back to "off".

If you forget to switch the cable back to "off" then you will indeed get the "both drives are A: drive"-effect (like Bryce explained). So a good idea to make a small label on your cable to remember the on/off positions.

Also the HxC also has internal emulation of 2 drives .. better not try that but stick to emulating 1 drive (setting for HxC need to be = single primary drive as its the primary one on the cable).

beaker

Quote from: TFM/FS on 17:15, 12 April 12
Oh damn! Hope this is just a fools-day thingy. I really hope you get it!!!

It was indeed waiting for me behind the customer service desk at Tesco's  ;D  Nothing like going out to your supermarket for bread, milk... Amstrad CPC.

Doesn't seem to be in bad shape. There's a bit of wear on around the on/off button at the back and the keys have yellowed but everything else looks mint. Still waiting for the power supply and scart from retro game shack (so may be going back to Tesco's tonight...) but I plugged in the 5v power supply from my plus and it powered on and sounds like the keyboard works based on the beeping.

Thanks Cholo for the great explanation on how to use the cable  :D

Bryce

Maybe you can have it sent to ALDI or LIDL next time, you might get a lower price from them? :D

Bryce.

beaker

Cable arrived today and finally after almost 20 years I get to play Prehistorik 2 and Super Cauldron on a real CPC rather than an emulator. Next thing will be installing an ABBA switch on the Plus so I can see Prehistorik 2 in all its glory  :D

Bryce

Putting an ABBA switch on the Plus is much easier than on the classic 6128, no track cutting or soldering to ICs. All the instructions are here: ABBA switch - CPCWiki - The Ultimate Amstrad CPC Community & Encyclopedia!

Bryce.

beaker

Quote from: Bryce on 20:04, 23 April 12
Putting an ABBA switch on the Plus is much easier than on the classic 6128, no track cutting or soldering to ICs. All the instructions are here: ABBA switch - CPCWiki - The Ultimate Amstrad CPC Community & Encyclopedia!

Bryce.

Cool, thanks Bryce, got as far as starting to solder the switch a few months back... I'll have to finish off the change when I get back from Oz in May.

Bryce

The switch looks like it's wired wrong.

Bryce.

beaker

Noooo, don't say that  :'(

Based on your diagram from that link:

Blue wire should be D
Black wire should be B
Green wire should be A
Yellow wire should be C

...excuse the heatshrink that I've left until I get it installed..