News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

664 with floppy drive not working

Started by Rhino, 15:17, 26 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino

Hi!
I just replaced the rubber belt but the floppy motor is constantly spinning.
Any idea about the issue and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Kris

Did you check the ribbon ? It looks like if the ribbon is not in correctly fitted or shifted on the connector...

Rhino

Quote from: Kris on 16:06, 26 February 17
Did you check the ribbon ? It looks like if the ribbon is not in correctly fitted or shifted on the connector...

I think the ribbon cable is ok since I tested the 664 drive on a 6128 with another ribbon with the same result: never ending spinning.

1024MAK

He may mean, is one of the connectors in the wrong way round.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Rhino

Quote from: 1024MAK on 21:14, 26 February 17
He may mean, is one of the connectors in the wrong way round.

Mark

Aha, well, that's not the problem. In fact, by the size and location of the ribbon cable in the 664 it is not possible to connect it wrongly.
Thanks!

Audronic

@Rhino

Can you do a "CAT" and get a directory on the screen ?
Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Rhino

Quote from: Audronic on 22:26, 26 February 17
@Rhino

Can you do a "CAT" and get a directory on the screen ?
Ray

cat = "read fail"

I finally fixed the problem by disconnecting the black ground cable from one of the floppy's leg. Not sure why this fixed the issue and if it is a safe "fix".

Regards!

Bryce

That may have been a coincidence. Removing the earth shouldn't have an effect. Can you try replacing it and see if the problem returns?

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTAC 8000X mit Tapatalk.

Rhino

Quote from: Bryce on 21:32, 27 February 17
That may have been a coincidence. Removing the earth shouldn't have an effect. Can you try replacing it and see if the problem returns?

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTAC 8000X mit Tapatalk.

If I reconnect the cable the problem returns.

For more details, I noticed that one of the small screw washers on the bottom of the drive is plastic (the others are metal). Then I thought that when putting the screws back I put it in another place, so I used plastic washers on all the screws to avoid problems but this had no effect. Then I thought that maybe all the screws were not the same size and each should be placed exactly in its place, the problem is that I had lost that reference, so I simply tried to loosen the screws a little. It did not work either but, at the end, I noticed that the combination of loosening the screws + disconnecting the ground wire fixed the issue. If I reconect the cable and/or re-tighten the screws, the issue comes back. Everything very strange. :/

My question now is what side effect can I have in the long term by disconnecting the ground wire?

Thanks!

Bryce

There's no negative effect from disconnecting the ground wire, but it does signify that something is wrong somewhere else. The ground wires from the main PCB (in the power cable or flat cable) may be damaged or have a potential on them.

Bryce.