News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Adaptor Cable for Internal HxC

Started by Bryce, 09:20, 17 August 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi all,
     time to answer another FAQ. I often get asked about the adaptor needed to connect a 3.5in floppy or HxC internally in a 6128. Although this information is available in other places as a table, description or photo, none of them gave the full picture, so here it is. This cable assumes that the drive has been set to DS0 / ID0 and provides a ready signal. For the HxC not a problem, just a simple jumper setting, for floppies this may involve making some mods to the drive.

[attach=3]

I've shown the cable from several views to highlight the fact that the connectors don't face the same way on the cable.

First crimp the 26way connector as shown in the diagram. Then split the first 6 wires starting from the side of the red wire. These 6 wires need to be shifted 2 cavities further over before being crimped into the 36way connector. Wire 26 goes directly to pin 34 of the floppy connector. Make sure the keyways / orientation slots of both connectors are as shown in the diagram. The cable needs no bridges, switches or anything else. When you are finished, you should have a cable looking something like this:

[attach=2]

I'll add this info to the Wiki later when I get time.

Bryce.

viddi

Awesome work, Bryce! ;)

Can´t wait to get my hands on the cable!

Bryce

I've added this info to the wiki here: DIY:Floppy Drives - CPCWiki

Bryce.

Edit: Just updated the diagram too, because the resolution came out shit for some unknown reason.

Gryzor

Awesomeness. And thanks for the last post, just as I was going to ask you if I can transcribe it to its proper place :)

TFM

Great and perfectly simple(=genious) solution! Thanks' for sharing  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

IanS

Quote from: Bryce on 09:20, 17 August 12
I've shown the cable from several views to highlight the fact that the connectors don't face the same way on the cable.
Unless you need it to be a certain length to fit, I don't see why that is important. If you put the connector on the other side (assuming you get pin 1 in the same place) the pins in the connector will still connect to the same wires.

ralferoo

Quote from: IanS on 01:40, 18 August 12
assuming you get pin 1 in the same place
Exactly. If you put the connector on the wrong side of the cable, cable pin 1 will be connected to socket pin 25, pin 2 to 26, 3 to 23, 4 to 24, etc. If you rotated it on the wrong side of the cable, cable pin 1 will be connected to socket pin 2, pin 2 to 1, 3 to 4, 4 to 3, etc.

IanS

Quote from: ralferoo on 11:14, 18 August 12
If you rotated it on the wrong side of the cable, cable pin 1 will be connected to socket pin 2, pin 2 to 1, 3 to 4, 4 to 3, etc.
Have you looked at an IDC connector recently?

Bryce

The pinout of course doesn't change if the connector was on the other side, but it is rather a tight fit inside the 6128, so both connectors are orientated to fit both the CPC and the HxC best.

Bryce.