AMSSIO software combined with Amstrad Pace RS232 serial Interface on 464

Started by chrd, 10:49, 08 June 11

Previous topic - Next topic

chrd

(my first post so a small introduction: I'm from Belgium, 30 years old and fiercely interested in retrogaming and (retro)computing)

I'll get my first (Schneider) CPC 464 with GT-65 green monitor tomorrow night and was wondering about the following:

Could I possibly combine the Amstrad Pace Serial RS232 interface with the software for the AMSSIO PCB (specifically for using part of the PC disk as a cheap DIY attached disk) ?

The source does mention about being built around a 6850 Motorala chip...

Any insight very welcome!

I've found lots of great information on this site / forum already so will probably visit more frequently in the future!

arnoldemu

Welcome to cpcwiki!

I checked the wiki.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Amstrad_Serial_Interface
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/AMSSIO

They are based around different hardware, AMSSIO uses 6850 or derivative.

The Amstrad one uses Z80 Dart and 8253.
The hardware are not compatible so they software will not be compatible also.

Sorry.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

chrd

Thanks for this quick reply!

I was already afraid that this would be the case.

Would you happen to know if there is freely available terminal software (for the PCP) for connecting the PCP via serial null-modem-cable to a Linux server?

arnoldemu

The terminal software could be used for transferring files between them but then you would still need to save them. I think you are wanting to use the pc/linux as a file server so you can load and save files directly?

if you want to just load files into the 464, you can convert a cdt (a tape-image file) realtime into a sound you can play into the cpc's tape (using one of those fake cassettes for the 464).

playtzx will do this. It's the same method as used on the Spectrum (cdt=tzx).
I don't know if a version exists for linux.

I've done this well using a pc's sound card. This works well when sending *to* the cpc and you can load a game in realtime using this method.

if you are after a system where the pc is used like a fileserver, with reading *AND writing then transcpc almost does what you are wanting:

http://genesis8.free.fr/
files
enter "trans" in the search box and find it in the list.

it's all asm, probably will not work with linux or windows (so probably plain dos), timing sensitive and uses the "Parallel cable" (a special cable for connecting pc and cpc)

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/amstrad8bit-faq/
look for "parallel cable".

I don't know if the same idea has been transferred to an actual serial interface.
The problem is that serial interfaces were not so common because they had to be bought seperately to the cpc itself.

I thought the Amstrad serial interface has a rom onboard with software on it (probably commstar), so when you start up the 464 with it connected you can then use it's software to transfer?

Sorry I can't be a lot more help at this time.

I am planning an interface based on an sd-card for the 464 so you can load off that, but at the moment it's just in the planning stages.

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

My games. My Games

chrd

Since I still have to pickup the CPC (tomorrow evening) I'm still thinking what tasks I'm about to appoint it...

Serial communication:

I'll have to look if I can configure the included Commstar software (or use other adressable functionality in the serial interface ROM) to make it connect and act as a plain dumb traditional terminal to the linux server. This wouldn't make the CPC load disk images or something like that but it would surely be nice to be able to use the CPC to read your email or browse the web using lynx or using all other console based utilities on the linux server. Technically everything runs on the Linux itself off course (the CPC then just forwards the console's keyboard input and echo's the servers console output).

Gaming:

I've read upon the 'load programs as digital audio file' technique with a casette adapter, and it indeed looks like a cheap alternative for loading games but I'll probably want the write support sooner or later. Considering the CPC 464 this probably means my easiest (although certainly not cheapest) bet would be finding a DDI-1 (for the controller) and then using the hXc floppy emulator (or get a 6128  ::) ).

The package I'm picking up contains about 35 tape games. If they still act reliably I think I will wait a little while to see if I can cope with tape loading times (or use the wav approach)...

Programming:

Although I'm employed as a programmer I've been very sparsely confronted with assembly until now (mostly high level languages work) but I'm eager to take the dive (the Z80 looks like a nice target to be immersed in). Maybe I'll have a stab at trying to port the AMSSIO software to the Amstrad Serial Interface add-on (the hard parts being the assembler, the TurboBasic PC part porting should be doable).

For this easy and reliable write support would also be a +.

QuoteI am planning an interface based on an sd-card for the 464 so you can load off that, but at the moment it's just in the planning stages.
That would be extremely nice 8)

Thanks for all the hints!

chrd

This looks interesting for the terminal emulation part of my plans (which off course have yet to materialize):

http://ewen.mcneill.gen.nz/programs/cpc/ansiterm/

Not sure if it can be configured for handling null-modem cables though...