News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad 6128 Disk Drive Problem

Started by Ex0Lon, 15:42, 17 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex0Lon

Hoping somebody can help me with my 6128 Disk Drive problem.

I initially had a drive where the belt had snapped and got rolled up around the capstan.  When you put a disk in it would just make a grinding sound for ages.  So I have ordered a new belt, cleaned up the capstan and fitted it.

The issue I have now is when I plug the drive back into my Amstrad, the red LED is constantly dimly lit, when I boot the 6128, put a disk in and type 'cat' all I get is..

Drive A: disk missing
Retry, Ignore or Cancel?

No noise from the drive, nothing.  Is there something obvious I am doing wrong?

TFM

Maybe the connectors are plugged in wrong around. Or you forgot something while reassembling the floppy chassis.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Ex0Lon

I've gone over all the connectors and everything seems to be plugged in fine, its obviously something i've done as the motor was spinning before i took the drive apart :)

Are there any voltages i can test for?

Gryzor

You're absolutely sure you inserted the belt correctly and it runs fine? The LED being dimly lit is normal, IIRC.

Ex0Lon

The belt all runs fine if I manually wind it, I can see 5v coming into the drive.  Its really strange.

Gryzor

Have you actually reassembled the CPC? If so, try opening it up and leaving the drive free to run...?

gerald

Quote from: Ex0Lon on 19:09, 17 September 13
The belt all runs fine if I manually wind it, I can see 5v coming into the drive.  Its really strange.
What about 12V ?
The 6128 drive motors need 12V.

Bryce

Are you sure you have reconnected all the little connectors from the sensors/motors to the drive PCB properly? Sounds like one is loose.

Bryce.

CanonMan

I would say that either the data cable to the main board has been put back on one pin to the left or the right, or a good dose of static electricity (from poor handling) has damaged the electronics on the drive.

Bryce

Static damage is unlikely. It's fairly robustly designed and doesn't have any over-sensitive ICs, but the shifted connector is a good tip, this would give you the issues he describes.

Bryce.

Ex0Lon

After checking the voltages and only seeing 5v it lead me to an issue with the 12v, all now resolved.  Thanks for the hints guys :)

Bryce

Gryzor

dcdrac

my 6128 plus'd floppy is doing the same I took it out to check the drive belt its fine, the connectors put back in place as they were so what else can I look for?

dcdrac

Ihave disconnected the floppy drive as I do not use it anyway, got an Hxc but will want to find out why its not working later.

dcdrac

sorted it took drive out again reseated everything working again

Gryzor

Who said the "reboot" solution appeared with Windows? :D