News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad 6128 PLUS

Started by sigh, 19:11, 05 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

I still have my CPC 464. But I'm looking for a 6128 Plus to go with it. Any clues? What is a decent price?

khisanth

Not seen a 6128 plus on ebay yet,I would think they go for at least £100

fano

Buy one in France  ;D (if you are ok with AZERTY layout :/ )
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

dragon

Or buy it in spain with ñ :)

Bryce

ebay.fr has always a few on offer. They usually go for around 30-50€.

Here's one with a 3.5" Drive installed:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/RARE-amstrad-6128-plus-lecteur-de-disquette-3-5-/260705837528?pt=FR_GH_Informatique_Ordinateurs_Ordinateurs_de_Collection&hash=item3cb34761d8

As is the case here, they rarely/never have the cartridge included, but they are on offer for around 4-5€ too.

Bryce.

dragon

The problem is normally french sellers not send out of france.I search for super skweek in 3" And the french seller not sell me.:(

Other.

http://cgi.ebay.es/AMSTRAD-CPC-6128-PLUS-JUEGO-Perfecto-Miralo-/370466643657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item5641885ec9

steve

Quote from: Bryce on 21:52, 05 January 11

As is the case here, they rarely/never have the cartridge included, but they are on offer for around 4-5€ too.

Bryce.

That's a bit cheeky, I would consider the machine incomplete without the cartridge as it is effectively useless, and should be priced as a non functional machine.

Although I will admit that a french cartridge may not be much use to an english user, I don't know, with it's azerty keyboard, would an english cartridge work properly in it?.

sigh

The azerty keyboard layout looks like something that may start to annoy me. The spanish version looks closer to the UK (which is what I need) but it looks like it's missing a few symbols. I'm not to sure whether I'll need the £ sign or not.....

sigh

I've been searching through this site, for keyboard layout experiences. I haven't seen any definite answers if it is possible to perform a keyboard mod on the 6128+ or if buying a UK rom cartridge would rearrange the keyboard layout on a french/spanish machine to a UK one. If this was possible, then it would be a simple case of popping off the keys and swapping them around.

redbox

Quote from: sigh on 14:48, 06 January 11
or if buying a UK rom cartridge would rearrange the keyboard layout on a french/spanish machine to a UK one. If this was possible, then it would be a simple case of popping off the keys and swapping them around.

Yes, if you use a UK cartridge it would rearrange the keys - it's all in the OS software.

You could then of course swap the keys around for it to match up physically.

sigh

That's fantastic news!!! (only thing left to do would be to paint a little "£" sign) :D

Edit: How easy are the key swaps to do?

sigh

Is it possible for me to use the DK tronics memory expansion cart from my CPC 464 on a 464 Plus?

Edit: Found this:

http://www.jonathanen.com/pages/Computers/Amstrad/CPC464+/23.html#Items

Could someone please explain????

MacDeath

perhaps, if you can get some adaptator for the centronic... or a german extension...

was extension is it ?

It can also be nice to simply add the missing components on the motherboard to get a 4128+...

if only you can get those components...

Also what need to be explained ?

The guy simply connected a Ram expansion and the external DiskDrive on the Expansion port thx to some sort of adapter and multi expansion board...

http://www.jonathanen.com/pages/Help/Expanded464+.html

sigh

There's a DK tronics expansion attached to the 464+ but it has something inbetween. I don't know if it's something he bought, or something he made himself (that white cable).

MacDeath

This is certainly just an adapter cable...

Centronic 50 on one side, CPC-old Card-board on the other side.

You can make one yourself...

sigh

Cool. That doesn't look too hard. Any particular trusted shops were forum members like to buy these or other parts?

Bryce

If it's only a physical adapter you need to convert from Centronics to Edge Connector, then I have plans here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Expansion_Converter

A DKtronics 464 memory expansion may work perfectly on a 464+ but I doubt it would work on a 6128+. Memory expansion on a 464 is slightly different than on a 6128, due to the 464 not having the Banking PAL present. 464 Memory expansions had to handle the banking themselves, 6128 expansions expected the CPC to do this. On the Plus, the banking functionality was handled by the ASIC, but I'm not sure if the ASIC always offered this, or only on the 6128+.

Bryce.

sigh

Wow! Although I'm still looking for the 6128+ I might try making this!

Thanks!

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 15:58, 09 January 11
If it's only a physical adapter you need to convert from Centronics to Edge Connector, then I have plans here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Expansion_Converter

A DKtronics 464 memory expansion may work perfectly on a 464+ but I doubt it would work on a 6128+. Memory expansion on a 464 is slightly different than on a 6128, due to the 464 not having the Banking PAL present. 464 Memory expansions had to handle the banking themselves, 6128 expansions expected the CPC to do this. On the Plus, the banking functionality was handled by the ASIC, but I'm not sure if the ASIC always offered this, or only on the 6128+.

Bryce.
I think Bryce may be a bit cautious.

Thinking back to the original CPC, the ram expansions for the 464 could be used direct with the 6128. In the case of the "standard" 64k ram expansion you gain nothing because it is selected by the same "ram configuration" values as the extra 64k within the 6128.

The silicon disc which had different "ram configuration" values, worked both on 464 and 6128 without trouble. Both these ram expansions had their own PAL within them and probably used the /RAMDIS signal to block internal ram within the cpc.

I think the ASIC for the 464+ and 6128+ are identical and one of those "resistor" link things chooses if the "PAL" within the ASIC is active or not.

In the end the result would be the same as in the original CPCs I believe.

A dk'tronics 64k for cpc *should* (I've not tested even though I have both - 464+ and 64k ram) work and you just need a conversion adaptor (centronics to edge).

The only difference that has been mentioned in some documents (but I need to confirm), is configuration 3.
This is where extra ram shows up in &c000-&ffff. I think in the original 464 (40007), it is possible rom shows here first and you need to disable that to see the ram. I do need to check and confirm this though. And this config is mostly used by cpm (and probably futureos).
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Yes. I am always cautious, because it's better to have investigated whether there's an issue, than to connect something and observe smoke emitting from the back of your beloved CPC. I don't own a DKtronics memory expansion, nor do I have the schematics to check, but I thought I'd mention the slight differences anyway, just in case.

Bryce.

Quote from my Professor back in my college days: "Silicon is a myth, ICs really work using smoke and I can prove it too: When the smoke gets out of an IC, they never work again afterwards".

sigh

Bryce

I don't know how good your french is, but this guy is only selling the external 3.5in Disk Drive (with ABBA and side switch) and a few disks / CD full of DSK files, NOT the 6128+. He shows the port at the back to show which port it gets connected to.

Bryce.

sigh

arnoldemu

Quote from: sigh on 13:52, 18 January 11
Is this a good deal? Not to sure what's going on with the close up picture of the (serial?) port at the back.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lecteur-disk-3-5-pour-AMSTRAD-CPC-6128-PLUS-/130474591484?pt=FR_GH_Informatique_Ordinateurs_Ordinateurs_de_Collection&hash=item1e60e444fc
If it is the guy I am thinking of the ready is forced always active on that drive.
So there is a chance the cpc will hang if you do a cat without the disc in.
So remember this.

other than this it is a quality product.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:23, 18 January 11
So there is a chance the cpc will hang if you do a cat without the disc in.

Is there any way to patch the OS to stop this happening?