News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 464 no power at all

Started by pabloingreece, 05:41, 07 August 18

Previous topic - Next topic

pabloingreece

Hi I obtained recently a CPC 464 (short board Z70374 MC0044B), at first using the GT65 monitor the power was ok, red light on but grey screen of death appeared, so I supposed that some RAM chip could be damaged. I take it to my house and connected it again, but now using a 5V power supply (which works correctly for a 6128), the 464 is not working at all, no power.

I checked the switch and it's ok, but I can't understand why it's not being powered correctly. I don't have anymore the GT65 monitor. I have a MP-2 unit and again, it's not working at all.

Any clues in how to start? Thanks!

Duke

Maybe the DC socket needs to be resoldered, I have seen those go loose on the PCB before.
And try to bypass the switch with a jumper, just to be sure (it may have resistance).

pabloingreece

Hey Duke, thanks! I checked the socket and seems tha the GND track is not making contact, I'll resold the socket this afternoon and give you feedback!

Thanks man!

Vyper68

Quote from: pabloingreece on 08:20, 07 August 18
Hey Duke, thanks! I checked the socket and seems tha the GND track is not making contact, I'll resold the socket this afternoon and give you feedback!

Thanks man!
Yeah my old 464 was a short board and had that problem where i decided to put a new one on given they are cheap and I was going to take the old solder off anyway. Worked fine after that.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

pabloingreece

Everything OK, after resolder a new DC jack and place a new RAM on IC119 (piggy backed, temporary), the old and beloved CPC 464 is working again!

FYI @Duke and @Vyper68

pabloingreece

Just for the record, the RAM IC was totally replaced with a socketed brand new chip, this is the result and the CPC is completely repaired.

gerald

Quote from: pabloingreece on 19:55, 09 August 18
Just for the record, the RAM IC was totally replaced with a socketed brand new chip, this is the result and the CPC is completely repaired.
Interesting stars and stripes RAM you've got there  :)
Never seen one of those before.

rpalmer

...ahhh make AMSTRAD great again....LOL