News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 464 NO Turn ON again

Started by G40rocket, 18:42, 15 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

G40rocket

Hello Amstrad Fans !

I'm new here but i love retro gamming so i like test and collect good things.

Recently a friend of mine ask me if i knew how CPC 464 works (for play games).

My friend don't know how to play and he doesn't have the manual.

So i found the CPC 464 instructions manual online and read to know how to play games in this Amstrad and it's easy really.

Little different then Spectrum but similar.

I have a big problem now and i need your help if possible.

I plug the CPC screen and computer and turn on.

Everything was ok, i press the play commands in the keyboard, press play in the k7 deck and the game started to beep beep :)

When the game was already reaching the end of first cassette side the CPC 464 just turn off by itself and now he don't turn on !

The screen don't turn on and the computer too.

I have affraid to open the screen because have high voltage.

What would be the problem for this ?

What a really bad luck..

Thanks,

arnoldemu

Turn off the monitor, wait a few minutes and turn it back on, does cpc and monitor start up? EDIT: If it does then it could be the voltage regulator on the main PCB of the monitor. I don't remember the part number.

When you turn on the power switch on the CPC does the red light on the keyboard go bright? EDIT: If it doesn't try cleaning the switch.

When you press power button on monitor can you hear it charge and does the display brighten a little? If you turn up the brightness on the monitor do you see if change? EDIT: Try it with and without the CPC. If it does, then it could be that regulator.

There is a regulator inside the monitor that will switch off the computer and monitor if it draws too much power. I had this fail on one of my monitors and it needed to be replaced.

Also I had the power switch fail on another of my CPCs, it needed cleaning.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

G40rocket

Hello arnoldemu,

Thanks for your fast reply really.

I tested right now the Amstrad again and no luck.

The screen stays off for a long time (because the last time that i tested and he turn off completly was on Wednesday).

I plug again the screen and computer, turn on and i can hear the usual screen CRT click's but no image, no power in the CPC (red light always off).

I don't think that is a button faulty, the CRT screen don't have any image even if i turn the bright button.

I imagine that the power supply for the CPC is inside of the CRT screen so what could be ?

It's safe open the CRT cover ?

Gryzor

It's safe as long as you know what you're doing. As discussed in the forum in the past parts in the monitor can hold a high voltage for long after it's been turned off, so one needs to be extra, extra, extra careful!

Oh, and welcome!

G40rocket

Yeah, i know for knowleadgment that the old CRT and televisions can hold high voltage even if they turned off for several years.

That's why i have a little affraid to open that because i don't know what are really the dangerous parts inside.

radu14m

On mine cpc i had the same problem, no start.
It comes up that the switch button was faulty.
Open the cpc and check the switch. I bypass the switch and it starts !

G40rocket

Quote from: radu14m on 20:33, 15 March 14
On mine cpc i had the same problem, no start.
It comes up that the switch button was faulty.
Open the cpc and check the switch. I bypass the switch and it starts !

But my CRT don't turn on like before (even if you don't plug the CPC) so i don't think that is a CPC computer problem.

He simply turn off when was reading the cassette..

arnoldemu

Quote from: G40rocket on 20:36, 15 March 14
But my CRT don't turn on like before (even if you don't plug the CPC) so i don't think that is a CPC computer problem.

He simply turn off when was reading the cassette..
Can you try a different power supply? One that gives 5v. Be careful of polarity.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

G40rocket

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:46, 15 March 14
Can you try a different power supply? One that gives 5v. Be careful of polarity.

I already think about that but when i read in the label that the CPC need's 5v 2A i quit because my selected power supply only have 1A..

Other problem is polarity, the label don't show any polarity signal so i don't figure out really.

The Amstrad CRT have some fuse power ?

gerald

Quote from: G40rocket on 22:32, 15 March 14
Other problem is polarity, the label don't show any polarity signal so i don't figure out really.
Gnd is on the outside ring, 5V inside.

Quote from: G40rocket on 22:32, 15 March 14
The Amstrad CRT have some fuse power ?
Yes !

You can find the monitor schematic there :
for CTM640/GT64 in the 464 service manual : http://www.cpcwiki.eu/manuals/service.manual.cpc464.ctm640.gt64.zip
for CTM644/GT64 : http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/1/1f/Service.manual.cpc664.ctm644.gt65.pdf

G40rocket

Thanks for the links gerald,

I think that i need to open the CRT to check if the fuse blow.

Will tell more news soon.