Amstrad CPC 464 not working, Power Led on and off each 3 seconds

Started by nekitu, 18:32, 10 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

nekitu

Hi all,
I have an Amstrad CPC 464, trying to start it with a power supply which is 5V 3Amps, power led of the CPC is blinking once and then goes off for 3 seconds, then repeats forever. Signal to monitor is none. A subtle short beep is heard inside the unit each time the led blinks. Could it be from the 3A, do I really need the official 5V 2A for it ? I got the computer with that (unofficial) power supply, so I guess the last owner was powering it ok...
Anyway, thanks for any hint of what can it be going wrong.

ralferoo

ralferoo

BTW, a 3A supply should be fine. IIRC, the 464 needs about 1.5A when the tape is playing.

nekitu

Quote from: ralferoo on 19:12, 10 July 13
BTW, a 3A supply should be fine. IIRC, the 464 needs about 1.5A when the tape is playing.

So I guess 1A (which I've tried to no avail) isnt enough?

TFM

Try to find out if the Problem is the PSU or the Keyboard first.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

nekitu

I've tried with 5V 1A, doesnt work, tested the PSU it outputs 5V properly, but maybe something else is bad, will try to find another 5V 2A PSU on the flea market and test, thanks for the feedback.

TFM

Sorry, but it sounds as if the CPC itself would be broken.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Pentagon

Hello,

i had the same issues with one of my machines some time ago. If the PSU is working fine, you really should check the Power Switch of the CPC. It sounds like a contact chatter between the small steelcontacts inside the Power Switch. Just take a screwdriver and open the power switch carefully. Clean the contacts inside and dont lose the spring inside. Then you close the switch again and the CPC should work again.

Edit: Try to brick  bridge / shorten the switch first and see if the CPC is working then. At CPC464 you can brick bridge the switch with a wide screwdriver. Between the two contacts at the power switch.

Kindly regards
Tom

Munchausen

Quote from: Pentagon on 08:48, 11 July 13
Hello,

i had the same issues with one of my machines some time ago. If the PSU is working fine, you really should check the Power Switch of the CPC. It sounds like a contact chatter between the small steelcontacts inside the Power Switch. Just take a screwdriver and open the power switch carefully. Clean the contacts inside and dont lose the spring inside. Then you close the switch again and the CPC should work again.

Edit: Try to brick / shorten the switch first and see if the CPC is working then. At CPC464 you can brick the switch with a wide screwdriver. Between the two contacts at the power switch.

Kindly regards
Tom

Brick sounds a bit dangerous!  :laugh:  But hopefully you really meant bridge ;D

Pentagon

Oh yes, i am sorry, please excuse my poor english. My native language is german, so i meant "to shorten" or "to bridge". And not a "brick" LOL  :P

I have edited my post. Thanks for help.

Regards
Tom

Bryce

Check what the 5V rail is doing during these cycles. If the voltage is fluctuating with each restart, then you have power problems. If the voltage is staying steady then something is pulling the reset line down.

Bryce.

nekitu

Hi guys, thanks all for the feedback, but no need to worry anymore, the unit is working great :) I've found another 5V 2A power supply at the flea market, the old one was busted, and now its working great, including cassette drive and such, this is a big relief. Time for some coding and games :) . Cheers!

TCMSLP

I didn't have any 5V PSUs at hand.  I opened my 464, cut a power trace and fitted a 5V regulator (screwed to the bottom of the keyboard shield, acting as a heat sink).

I can now use any adapter 7-15V DC and not worry.  Perhaps an idea for others too :)

Steve

Bryce

Cool idea (no pun intended). Some pictures and info might be useful for a Wiki article?

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: TCMSLP on 00:38, 05 August 13
I didn't have any 5V PSUs at hand.  I opened my 464, cut a power trace and fitted a 5V regulator (screwed to the bottom of the keyboard shield, acting as a heat sink).
I can now use any adapter 7-15V DC and not worry.  Perhaps an idea for others too :)
I hope you have modded all you CPC like this. Otherwise BOOM  ;)

TotO

Quote from: TCMSLP on 00:38, 05 August 13
I hope that nobody will do that... Just destroying hardware... 5V regulated PSU are so easy to find today...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TCMSLP

Not really destroying hardware -  1 minute and a bridged trace later and it's back to normal.

You are correct though - 5V PSUs are easy to find;  I was just impatient for my CPC fix.