News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 6128 Plus - Will it work?

Started by gaos74, 09:17, 03 January 18

Previous topic - Next topic

gaos74

Happy New Year!

The postman delivered yesterday an untested CPC 6128 Plus which I grabbed off ebay for 45 Euro:

I have no cables yet (expected next week) so I have started disassembly and cleaning:

Steps taken so far:

- Removed casing

- Removed keyboard, drive and PCB

- Used a blower to remove the dust

- Removed the keys without metal pieces

- Cleaned the PCB with cotton swabs soaked in pharmaceutical alcohol (95%) (Is it OK?)

- The cartridge was being pushed back when plugged in and I could hear a sound that something was broken. I opened the cartridge carefully and found out that the back pin was broken. So I cut a small piece from a toothpick which I glued in the pin hole. Cleaned the cartridge pins with the cotton swabs to remove the slight dirt and closed the cartridge. It is firm now.

The cleaning will continue and will update the thread with new pictures.

The general condition of the unit seems to be OK and this is why I am hopeful that it may work.

I am totally useless with electronics and I will be helpless in case it does not power on when I receive the cables.

Let's see  :)

Bryce

Check the drive belt while you're waiting for the cables to arrive.

Bryce.

gaos74

So the drive is next:

I followed a youtube video in order to do the necessary.

I removed the metal casing:

And the belt has melted:

I removed the belt:

And cleaned the residue with cotton swabs:

Finally I cleaned everything, removed the rust (not much but visible) and rubbed the front plastic cover with alcohol.

It is in much better shape now:

I will use a Gotek drive so installing a new belt is not a priority.

It was interesting to see that one screw was missing from the metal casing (3 instead of 4).

So I am afraid that the machine has been opened before and may not be untested as the seller has claimed.

00WReX

From what I have observed, three screws holding the drive in the metal case is normal.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: 00WReX on 21:31, 03 January 18
From what I have observed, three screws holding the drive in the metal case is normal.

Cheers,
Shane

Mine only had three screws too. I think one is intentionally missing as it gets in the way when you try closing the case.
Unless it's a strange coincidence, but I really don't believe in those
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

Yes, for some reason they really did only use 3 screws. I spent a long time looking for a non-exist screw that I thought had fallen on the floor, the first time I opened one :D

Make sure you have removed ever single dot of old belt from the wheels. Even the tiniest residue can cause the belt to keep falling off, or even cause read/write errors if it's on the small wheel.

Bryce.

gaos74

Thanks for the info guys!

I am hopeful again. Ha ha

I think that I removed all the residue. When I install a new belt, I will clean both wheels again.

Shaun M. Neary

Then all you'll need to do is find a bunch of 3" discs and a gotek so you can copy nvg's stuff over with JLCopy and enjoy loading stuff the old school way! 😃
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

gaos74

Restoration continues...

After a warm bath:

Electric toothbrush in action:

Keys sunbathing:

Motherboard ready to install:

Next step is the re-assembly after all plastics dry completely.

Skunkfish

When will you find out if this baby boots up?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

gaos74

I expect the cables Monday or Tuesday.

Let's see.

Today I try to extract water from the key holes and the screw holes on the casing  :picard:

gaos74

Re-assembly in progress:

And Tadaaa:

As you can see the power led is Green  ;D

I realized that I had my plain 6128's charger that I could use to test if it powers on.

And it does!

I also plugged in headphones and pressed f2. Burnin Rubber's sound is coming out!

So now I am awaiting the ordered cables in order to test video output and the keyboard.

So far all good!!

tjohnson

Quote from: gaos74 on 01:28, 07 January 18
Re-assembly in progress:

And Tadaaa:

As you can see the power led is Green  ;D

I realized that I had my plain 6128's charger that I could use to test if it powers on.

And it does!

I also plugged in headphones and pressed f2. Burnin Rubber's sound is coming out!

So now I am awaiting the ordered cables in order to test video output and the keyboard.

So far all good!!
Yay sounds like you got good there, if it works, time  to stick it on ebay for 300 quid and make your money back many times over, lol only joking.  One mod which is good for these is to create a better cartridge that doesnt boot into burning rubber if f1 is not pressed.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

gaos74

I am not selling it mate!

I just hope it works!!

My next mod will be installing an internal gotek without touching the Amstrad casing using Duke's adapter.

tjohnson

Quote from: gaos74 on 16:58, 07 January 18
I am not selling it mate!

I just hope it works!!

My next mod will be installing an internal gotek without touching the Amstrad casing using Duke's adapter.

I know, that was a joke!

gaos74

Cables arrived.

And it works without issues!!!!!!!!

Mission accomplished!!!  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

VincentGR

Awesome !!

Μπράβο ρε μάγκα  ;D

andycadley

Woohoo! Always good to see another Plus machine up and running again.

gaos74

Thanks guys

I was very lucky that although untested, it had no issues.

Skunkfish

Congrats, you managed to get a real bargain there!  ;D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

DanyPPC

CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

Gryzor

Good for many more years, hopefully! Enjoy!!