News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

khaz

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

I'd love to add one to my CPC :D

TFM

Quote from: Singaja on 07:25, 24 May 16
With some rom magic wouldn't it be possible to use dxs's real time clock board for this purpose? Apologies if my question doesn't make sense.

Both RTCs are different, but as Duke pointed out before, just add a couple of capacitors and a battery and you got it. Supporting software is another topic.

BTW: Just a question... IMHO it would be great if the M4 board could be bought with RTC installed as option. I wouldn't mind to pay more for it. (That way I could also easily add support for FutureOS I guess). However depends what others think.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dirtybb

Quote from: TFM on 21:15, 24 May 16

Both RTCs are different, but as Duke pointed out before, just add a couple of capacitors and a battery and you got it. Supporting software is another topic.

BTW: Just a question... IMHO it would be great if the M4 board could be bought with RTC installed as option. I wouldn't mind to pay more for it. (That way I could also easily add support for FutureOS I guess). However depends what others think.  :)

I Could too. If M4 could be bought with RTC installed, i would.

Singaja

I'd want the rtc extended version too if possible. I don't trust my soldering skills and wouldn't want to hurt the poor board.

Duke

Today I received the very nice MX4 mainboard + cable from Toto (thanks a ton!). See MotherX4 Main Board

I can confirm the cable works with M4 board.
It also works in the MX4 mainboard, but only properly when fitted with external power supply.

Probably it's best to use external power supply, I had noticed on CPC6128 and CPC6128+ that when pumping up the volume you could hear small sound artifacts when the WiFi transmits, however the problem disappear when using external psu. It also isn't present on CPC664 (guess it uses less power?).

So I definitely recommend using MX4 + external 5V 2A power supply.
Maybe a better PSU for cpc will do the trick too. - That's why I fried my CPC6128 last week, in a quick rush to plug in a bigger power supply that I remembered being 5V (I am idiot!) - it was 12V.
Alternatively use cable / edge connector (on PCB) and be prepared to use some USB psu with mini usb socket fed directly to the board.

RTC
I will consider offering the parts mounted, just be aware it's not supported in current software, so that's something I will need to add.
Generally I was thinking most people have net connection 99% of the time, so ntp lookup should be excellent. Maybe it's not the case all over europe, so I guess it makes sense for traditional battery backup.

Name
To be honest, I don't really care a lot about the name, if it's an issue sure, do a poll and find a new name, I only request it starts with "M4" :) - so board printing etc. still makes sense.

Audronic

@Duke

No Leave it as it is.
I Cant "" M4size " that enough.
I Think its "" aM4zing ""

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

TotO

Quote from: Duke on 12:56, 25 May 16Today I received the very nice MX4 mainboard + cable from Toto (thanks a ton!)
Great!  8)

Please, is the final board should be 8x5cm sized to perfectly match with the others?  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Duke

Quote from: TotO on 13:56, 25 May 16
Great!  8)

Please, is the final board should be 8x5cm sized to perfectly match with the others?  ;D
M4 is a nice code name. X-CORE should be a nice product name.  :-\

I didn't make any changes to the PCB when I ordered 50 more pcs. Learned from past experince, there is good chance I'd screw something up (and I'd have to get new stencils) :) -Although it was tempting to remove some of the debug stuff and clean it up a bit.
So it's still ~ 76,5 mm x 61 mm

TotO

No problem, I don't know that you already had ordered them.  :-\

CloudStrife

(By the I don't remember if I say I want one when we discuss by mail... Even just the PCB unsold we just the GTL2000 and the .hex firmware it's ok for me :P)

Duke

Quote from: CloudStrife on 17:35, 25 May 16
(By the I don't remember if I say I want one when we discuss by mail... Even just the PCB unsold we just the GTL2000 and the .hex firmware it's ok for me :P )

I have added you now (with aes encrypted firmware and read out protection :P  - nah just kidding), that makes 58.
If anymore orders, you have to rely on someone on the list to not want one anyway or wait until there is 10 more so I can order new batch of pcb etc.

TFM

Quote from: Duke on 12:56, 25 May 16
RTC
I will consider offering the parts mounted, just be aware it's not supported in current software, so that's something I will need to add.
Generally I was thinking most people have net connection 99% of the time, so ntp lookup should be excellent. Maybe it's not the case all over europe, so I guess it makes sense for traditional battery backup.

Well, I sit in USA, not network at my home (residency of my CPC), so RTC would be nice. In case I find out how to read it I will of course share routines for it. But I guess you will be more quick.  :)

Oh, and for buying the M4 board, I guess you will PM us, right?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Has anyone started working on an IRC client yet?  :)

Does this mean the CPC IRC channels will finally get more visitors now?  8)

CraigsBar

Quote from: mr_lou on 19:11, 25 May 16
Has anyone started working on an IRC client yet?  :)

Does this mean the CPC IRC channels will finally get more visitors now?  8)
Oh i'd love to be back in the CPC irc, oh and how about a newsgroup client lol ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

talrek

Ohhh please count me one !!!!!!!!!  :o :o

||C|-|E||

News and IRC software would be actually fantastic for the CPC, that is for sure!  :D

TFM

Well, I think about a Hacker-Boy like shown in Orion Prime.  :P
TFM of FutureSoft

Grim

Quote from: Audronic on 13:52, 23 May 16With tongue in cheek "" M4 "" sounds like a Freeway or a main road somewhere.
To me it sounded more like a reference from the Messier catalogue or ... to a tank :)

Audronic

Quote from: Grim on 21:42, 27 May 16
To me it sounded more like a reference from the Messier catalogue or ... to a tank :)
With a smile on the Face---
I just plugged it in and get this on the screen.

Ahhhhem   Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

gerald

Quote from: Grim on 21:42, 27 May 16
Spoiler: ShowHide
[attach=2]
  ;D

Vandalsk

I am interested in 2 boards!
- Schneider CPC 6128 & 3,5" Floppy, Multiface II, Videodigitizer, Symbiface II, Dobbertin Ram Expansion 512 Kb, Marconi Trackball, CPC Booster+, X-Board, X-Mem, HXC Floppy Emulator
- Sinclair PC 200
- Schneider PC 1640
- Atari STf
- Vtech Laser 310, 64 KB Ram, PI 20 Printer Interface,  LP 20 Lightpen, Laser JI 20 Joysticks, Erweiterungsplatine, PP40 Plotter, DD 20 5,25" Floppy, SANYO DM 2112 Monitor
Amstrad NC-100
Atari ST 1040
Amiga 500
Commodore C 64

Scarlettkitten

Count me in for 1 please :)
Sophie Rose:- My musical works https://soundcloud.com/sophierosemusics

Cpcmaniaco

Please, count me six more boards in addition to that I asked for before -if it is still possible:

- One for me (MX4 connector)
- One for José Leandro (standard CPC connector)
- One for Ángel (standard CPC connector)
- One for rockersuke (standard CPC connector)
- One for deepfb (standard CPC connector)
- One for Nandove (standard CPC connector)
- One for jltursan (MX4 connector)

So I would need a total of seven boards, if possible.

We are now in a meeting in Madrid, Robcfg is showing us his board, and it works flawlessly! It is great! Everybody wants one here! :-D

We are testing the board on some CPCs, and it works on a CPC 472 with 1.1 Basic  :o