News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

Today I had one of my coolest experiences with my CPC for this year  :D :D
After adding some more missing M4-specific stuff to the Network Daemon I tried EdoZ SymbOS-messenger for the first time, and it worked great!

[attach=2]
[attach=3]
[attach=4]
[attach=5]

A CPC+M4Board in Germany chatting with a PC in The Netherlands (EdoZ was too lazy to start his MSX, so he used his PC-Client of the SymbOS-Messenger ;) ).
The messenger has never been tested on a CPC before (e.g. the 16 colour smiley in the upper right edge isn't optimized for 4 colours yet), but as it's a SymbOS application written by EdoZ with the Unify/Quigs (ex-SymStudio) IDE by Trebmint using the Network Daemon it was working at once without any problems. Now as soon as the M4-driver for the network daemon is fully working we already have a bunch of existing network apps and even games for the CPC! :)
Thanks so much again to Duke for this great CPC new hardware! I was dreaming about this since 10 years :P And thanks so much for EdoZ and Trebmint for the apps and the network support in Quigs! :)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

SRS

Now THIS makes me think about going beyond AMSDOS/ CP/M first time ever on my CPC ... COOL !

Prodatron

Some Telnet stuff:
This was my first time visiting a BBS (Telnet based, HispaMSX BBS) with a CPC - now via the Internet:
[attach=2]

Do you know the ASCII STAR WARS Movie for Telnet (e.g. telnet://towel.blinkenlights.nl)? I think it's quite popular:
[attach=3]

There is still a bug - the system is crashing after a while when dealing with larger package sizes. Hope it can be fixed soon.

SOS

Quote from: Duke on 18:01, 22 August 16
All this needs is a quick navigator to get rid of the |cd, |dir navigation, maybe a quick scan for executable files and display full length directory names. Something I'd like to make if noone else is in the process  8)
Will come , but this will take time (Until the end of the year?).
Btw. I 'm still looking for someone to make a background image for a launcher.
Btw.2 : And a beta tester for the M4-File Commander (take some time too), ACMEDOS-Version is released as a public beta:
Yet Another Norton-Commander Clone

Duke

@dxs: Yes, it would be possible to use the usb for that, maybe sometime.

@tvander: Makes sense, as you found it is the order of the roms. Now m4 will catch |era command, which is fine.

@prodatron: Looks stunning, can't wait :)

@SOS: Great! Just what is needed for mass-storage.

Bryce

Extremely cool Prodatron. However, keep in mind that having conversations with yourself may land you in the mad house! :)

Bryce.

dxs

For french people out there, I made a modded Lower ROM to be used on your AZERTY 6128, with your M4. It allows playing games in the game pack which was previously posted in this topic. Try Arkanoid and you'll see that Amsdos is called by the game, resulting in "Disk Missing" message.
With this modded firmware Amsdos is no longer called, and it worked with all games I tried, which previously failed. It assumes the M4 ROM is at the standard number 6 position.

** All credit goes to Duke who made the english version. I just checked how he made it and reproduced the work. FYI space is borrowed in the firmware by placing code instead of the *** PROGRAM LOAD FAILED *** message. **

Duke

Quote from: dxs on 16:05, 08 September 16
** All credit goes to Duke who made the english version. I just checked how he made it and reproduced the work. Please do not repost on the wiki or somewhere else as Duke requested this mod to be well tried before spreading it. FYI space is borrowed in the firmware by placing code instead of the *** PROGRAM LOAD FAILED *** message. **
Thanks dxs, almost forgot about it :)  Btw. instead of  *** PROGRAM LOAD FAILED **, it will print "FAIL".

dxs

Yes I noticed that, I don't remember (?) seeing this message on screen ever so not a big loss anyway.

TFM

The M4 reminds me so much about the good old days when using some CP/M software to chat or group chat with other people via telephone / later then modems. Also I remember the games for the VN96 network. The great thing about the M4 is of course to use state of the art hardware for communication. The only thing missing is software using this power. Maybe time for a nice network game.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 07:56, 08 September 16
Extremely cool Prodatron. However, keep in mind that having conversations with yourself may land you in the mad house! :)

Yay! Visitors!

Prodatron

Today I finished the first version of the M4Board SD card driver for SymbOS:

[attach=2]

TBH it was the most easy mass storage device driver I ever wrote for SymbOS thanks to Dukes API! :) There are still some issues, and we have to figure out now if it's M4 related or my mistake. Anyway again some progress...

Joseman

Quote from: Prodatron on 22:08, 09 September 16
Today I finished the first version of the M4Board SD card driver for SymbOS:

Speechless as always with your great work...

Wifi support and sd support on symbos... what more can i say?

Edoz(MSX)

Wow! So nice Prodatron! It was already crazy to have this live chat session with you! And now to see that the driver for the SD start to work! Indeed This hardware from Duke is crazy cool! I hope he can help you out finding the last issues! This is a huge step forward for the CPC! Hope to play SymbOS network games soon with You! At least there already two SymbOS network games ready now to play!!!

Joseman

Quote from: Edoz(MSX) on 22:33, 09 September 16
Hope to play SymbOS network games soon with You! At least there already two SymbOS network games ready now to play!!!

and the other 50 people that automatically starts since today (well when this version of symbos gets released!), can't we play with you??

CraigsBar

I cannot wait for this. With my 4g router my CPC really will be mobile internet capable ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Ygdrazil

Agreed this is indeed a major achievement  :o

Regards,
Ygdrazil

Quote from: CraigsBar on 01:47, 10 September 16
I cannot wait for this. With my 4g router my CPC really will be mobile internet capable ;)

KaosOverride

Now to restart from zero the whole socks lib  :picard:

Some problems with git... I have created a new repository and when trying to upload it says bla bla bla want to upload older files bla bla and then it deletes my local files :o and no backup....

Fortunatelly because of the new API and my disaster now I can code in a cleaner way as I was thinking of the old code "what a dirty way of calling that function...."  :P

Hope to bring good news!!
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

Duke

Quote from: KaosOverride on 11:57, 10 September 16
Now to restart from zero the whole socks lib  :picard:

Some problems with git... I have created a new repository and when trying to upload it says bla bla bla want to upload older files bla bla and then it deletes my local files :o and no backup....

Fortunatelly because of the new API and my disaster now I can code in a cleaner way as I was thinking of the old code "what a dirty way of calling that function...."  :P

Hope to bring good news!!

Ouch, that was nasty. Btw. if you look at my examples, please use tcpecho examples as the telnet one is outdated now (I haven't bothered updating it to the recent changes).

Good luck :)

KaosOverride

I have downloaded it and I'm aware of most of the changes. Thanks a lot.

I'm separating the lib from the logic part in C and the hardware talking part in asm. Now is more cleaner than I had earlier at the lost code.

My goal is go make a C lib that will let us compile simple *nix net code with the fewer changes possible. And also as compatible as can be with, for example, spectranet examples so we can have many work done for future developments.

The ZX spectrum has a simple net filesystem sharing. As you have filesystem inplemented at your rom, maybe in the future can be expanded to use A/C drive at the microsd and D, E and F as net shares. All the code of the server at Linux or Windows is done. Also a Z80 server can be done.

WebSVN - Spectranet - Rev 576 - /trunk/tnfs/

But... it needs UDP... For the future :)
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

Duke

Quote from: KaosOverride on 18:59, 10 September 16
I'm separating the lib from the logic part in C and the hardware talking part in asm. Now is more cleaner than I had earlier at the lost code.

My goal is go make a C lib that will let us compile simple *nix net code with the fewer changes possible. And also as compatible as can be with, for example, spectranet examples so we can have many work done for future developments.

The ZX spectrum has a simple net filesystem sharing. As you have filesystem inplemented at your rom, maybe in the future can be expanded to use A/C drive at the microsd and D, E and F as net shares. All the code of the server at Linux or Windows is done. Also a Z80 server can be done.

WebSVN - Spectranet - Rev 576 - /trunk/tnfs/

But... it needs UDP... For the future :)

Sounds like a very good idea. -  I'll take a look at the spectranet when I find some time, I wasn't aware of spectranet stuff before you mentioned it the other day.

Prodatron

During the weekend I finished the SD card driver for SymbOS, which is now fully working. You can boot SymbOS directly from the MicroSD of the M4Board within seconds without the need of any additional roms or discs. I am currently using the MotherX4 + M4Board + X-Mem, and it works like a charm. I just miss a mouse right now. Here is a little video which I made, just to show, that the SD card is working fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFMxevy7daI

TBH I should convert some new videos and graphics after 10 year :)
Reading from the M4Boards' SD card is about 25% faster than reading from the SYMBiFACE II and compatible devices (CPC-IDE, X-MASS) due to the fact, that you can use LDI:LDI:LDI:... instead of INI:INC B:INI:INC B:INI:INC B:... etc. thanks to the memory mapped buffer of the M4Board. For writing there is no difference, it is port based like the SF2. But in most cases reading speed is more important anyway.

I have to fix two little issues before releasing an M4Board version of SymbOS hopefully this week. Bugfree Network support may take a little bit longer. Thanks a lot to Duke again! :)

CU,
Prodatron

SOS

OffTopic(?  ;) ) Feature request:
New Command 0x4316: Get the Long-Filename/Dirname, needed 8+3 Filename as the parameter.
For Command 0x4306 optional parameter (or as a new command): Get the Long-Direntries, maybe the filesize (in Bytes?) separated in the first 4 Bytes of the response?! (maybe the same separation on the original "4306"-Command?!)

HAL6128

@Prodatron: very cool. The movie seems to work faster than before or is it because of the size? How did you do the movie? What is the tool do you use (SymStudio)?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Duke

Quote from: SOS on 07:47, 13 September 16
OffTopic(?  ;) ) Feature request:
New Command 0x4316: Get the Long-Filename/Dirname, needed 8+3 Filename as the parameter.
For Command 0x4306 optional parameter (or as a new command): Get the Long-Direntries, maybe the filesize (in Bytes?) separated in the first 4 Bytes of the response?! (maybe the same separation on the original "4306"-Command?!)
How about C_READDIR2, to directly retrieve long file and dir names, or you want the 8.3 ones too?