News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

SOS

Quote from: Duke on 10:02, 13 September 16
How about C_READDIR2, to directly retrieve long file and dir names, or you want the 8.3 ones too?
Thanks Duke,
If every CPC are 512KB machines with a 20MHZ Z80-CPU I will say, "Yes I do not need the old 8.3-Crap".
I don't know exactly if I can handle so much data on a 64KB 4MHZ Amstrad in a good way.
So I need at the moment the old 8.3 modus too.
The second requested command is at the moment my "Plan A"  - one statusline with the long File/Dirname.
And after all (all is released) I will check "Plan B" (directory with long names).
The additional question for the separate length is a handling technic. It will be more concrete defined, how long is a file, e. g. Response
Now: "Blade22.bin 22KB"
Maybe:defs 4 ; 4 Bytes Filelength
            defm "Blade22.bin"
(the separate length is interesting for me, to finish the |UDIR (the "now-Version" works too but it's a little bit "fiddly") , btw. |GETPATH is already finished ;) )

Duke

@SOS Ok will look into it :)

Prodatron

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 09:42, 13 September 16
@Prodatron: very cool. The movie seems to work faster than before or is it because of the size? How did you do the movie? What is the tool do you use (SymStudio)?
Yes, in general it's faster, as I wrote in my previous post: Using LDI instead of INI:INC B increases the transfer speed from 6 microseconds/byte to 5 microseconds/byte - that's already measurable.
EdoZ told me, that the current version of SymStudio (it's now called Quigs, it was called Unify some time ago) doesn't include the video converter.
Here is still the old version available, which can be used for this:
SymStudio 0.95 | The Amstrad CPC news portal
If you have any problems, just send me a PN :)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Duke

Firmware V1.0.9 final released.

If you have not upgraded to any v1.0.9 beta, you can use |upgrade command.

Otherwise, you must download it from here and unpack the files to the root of your microSD card.

M4 Board - CPCWiki

Do not keep v1.0.9 beta in your M4.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Duke on 15:35, 13 September 16
Firmware V1.0.9 final released.

If you have not upgraded to any v1.0.9 beta, you can use |upgrade command.

Otherwise, you must download it from here and unpack the files to the root of your microSD card.

M4 Board - CPCWiki

Do not keep v1.0.9 beta in your M4.
Will upgrade my 2 tonight.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Prodatron

After finishing the SD card support I went back to the network part and added some additional stuff: As the M4 can of course only handle one command at the same time, I had to take care, that inside the SymbOS multitasking environment I don't fire a second command until another one isn't finished. So SD card access and network access shouldn't disturb each other. This is fixed now. Currently it is solved more or less in a rude way (locking interrupts), but I hope I can have a better solution later by using semaphores.

Anyway some more things have been fixed, and here you see, how you can download the CPCWiki.eu mainpage with your Amstrad CPC + M4:

I did a domain lookup with NSLOOKUP just for testing before downloading the startpage with WGET and displaying it with the TYPE command.

There are still some nasty bugs which I want to fix until releasing a new Beta version, but such a release especially for the M4 version should happen very soon.

CU,
Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Maniac

Updated to v1.0.9 tonight and found an interesting bug by accident.

I changed to a directory that didn't exist because of a typo. Although an error was shown saying no such directory if I ran a 'cat' command rather than showing the root directory as expected it showed an empty one which I had to then |cd,".." to get back.

One other thing that doesn't seem to work for me anymore is mounting DSK files. I can CD to an image and it lists the directory as expected but when I try to run any files inside the image my 6128 Plus just reboots. This first started with 1.0.6 but seemed to get fixed in 1.0.7 but broke again since 1.0.8 and still doesn't work in 1.0.9. All of these upgrades have been undertaken via the |upgrade command - should I redo the install/upgrade via the SD card to see if it's an update fault?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Maniac on 23:56, 13 September 16

I changed to a directory that didn't exist because of a typo. Although an error was shown saying no such directory if I ran a 'cat' command rather than showing the root directory as expected it showed an empty one which I had to then |cd,".." to get back.

One other thing that doesn't seem to work for me anymore is mounting DSK files. I can CD to an image and it lists the directory as expected but when I try to run any files inside the image my 6128 Plus just reboots. This first started with 1.0.6 but seemed to get fixed in 1.0.7 but broke again since 1.0.8 and still doesn't work in 1.0.9. All of these upgrades have been undertaken via the |upgrade command - should I redo the install/upgrade via the SD card to see if it's an update fault?
OK first bug (invalid directory) recreated here.

However second one, DSK files and running the embedded files within them works fine for me.

Craig.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

rcmolina

My testing experience on this: no new bug in version 1.09, it'a previous fault from the very beginning. I observed that changing to dsks working in one SD card didn't work in another (format another SD and put just your faulty file to test it, it works!, i.e. you can cd and run). My final conclusion on this was that you have to take care to not fill the SD with more stuff than 512 MB, to avoid the problem start again.

rcmolina

[continues] Yes also observed ... that surpassing the problematic size (¿may be a variable size problem?) strange things are posiible like trying to change to incomplete dirs (error typing blanks and such type of things). So my personal feeling, everything is connected  :o [size=78%] [/size]

Duke

The directory bug I can re-create. Will fix it asap.

But I don't have any problems with the DSK images (standard single sided). I am using a cpc6128 plus too, what is your romconfig ?

Duke

Quote from: rcmolina on 05:01, 14 September 16

My testing experience on this: no new bug in version 1.09, it'a previous fault from the very beginning. I observed that changing to dsks working in one SD card didn't work in another (format another SD and put just your faulty file to test it, it works!, i.e. you can cd and run). My final conclusion on this was that you have to take care to not fill the SD with more stuff than 512 MB, to avoid the problem start again.

I haven't had any such issues, I guess if there was a corruption in the FAT on the given microsd, that would explain it. There shouldn't be any size limitation around 512MB.
Let me know if it happens again and maybe run a chkdsk on PC to check if there is any errors on the microSD.

Edoz(MSX)

Quote from: Prodatron on 23:39, 13 September 16
After finishing the SD card support I went back to the network part and added some additional stuff: As the M4 can of course only handle one command at the same time, I had to take care, that inside the SymbOS multitasking environment I don't fire a second command until another one isn't finished. So SD card access and network access shouldn't disturb each other. This is fixed now. Currently it is solved more or less in a rude way (locking interrupts), but I hope I can have a better solution later by using semaphores.

Anyway some more things have been fixed, and here you see, how you can download the CPCWiki.eu mainpage with your Amstrad CPC + M4:

WGET with SymbOS CPC using the M4Board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7CsIOq1_qY

I did a domain lookup with NSLOOKUP just for testing before downloading the startpage with WGET and displaying it with the TYPE command.

There are still some nasty bugs which I want to fix until releasing a new Beta version, but such a release especially for the M4 version should happen very soon.

CU,
Prodatron

Wow! CPC is connecting to the CPC website! That is crazy  :P :P :P :P :P :P Cool   8)

tvandor

Hi,

I  know this is slightly off topic, hope this is not a problem.

I am experiencing stability issues with my Schneider CPC 6128.
Mostly these are in the form of freezes, lockups: e.g. when I turn it on, and M4 boots,
and I run CAT on my root folder, sooner or later the CPC will corrupt the screen
(often just slightly), usually after 2-4 cat commands. Games that are loadable,
sometimes load, sometimes does not. (This time, screen corruption is heavier)
I have to try a few times then they load.

When I tried the |upgrade command yesterday to upgrade from 1.0.9 beta the CPC
just froze.

Does anyone had the same experience?
I would say that I suspect that my CPC that is faulty and not the M4 board.
Do you know guys anyone who would take on CPC repair?
I am afraid my soldiering skills limited to making cables
and I do not have the necessary knowledge to take on a task like this.
(I usually make things worse when I try :-) )

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Tamas

robcfg

Do you have an edge connector or a centronics one?

In the cas eof an edge connector, I'd clean it thorougly. Then I'd try to power the M4 board externally.

Any other expansions you have connected?

Gryzor

Quote from: Prodatron on 23:39, 13 September 16

CU,
Prodatron

Whoa. So that was that DOS attack thing yesterday.

Duke

@tvandor
Like robcfg said, try to clean your connector more. These are typical symptoms of a dodgy connection.
You cannot upgrade to v1.0.9 via |upgrade command when you have v1.0.9beta, you must download the zip and unpack to root of microsd.
However the hanging, would normally only happen if you haven't setup the network.
You have any roms in the board ?

HAL6128

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:02, 14 September 16
Whoa. So that was that DOS attack thing yesterday.
Firewalls should update and extend their wording from now to AMSDOS attack. :laugh:
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

tvandor

Hi,

I have centronics. (Schneider CPC6128)

I am using the M4 board with the Motherx4 board with internal power.
(My power is coming via a custom power pack I bought on ebay, so
I would not need to use the green monitor I have. :-) )

I do not use any other expansion.

I had some problems when I tried to set this up first,
gray screen with black border, but then I reattached the
connectors more firmly so it started to work.
Do you think I need to clean the centronics port too???

For the motherx4 I got two plastic small latch like thing(?)
that I think I should have attached to the expansion
connector on the motherx4, but I was not able to find out
how I am supposed to attach it to the connector.
(I can take a picture of those, because I might be wrong.
I did not receive any instructions unfortunately.)
The m4 board seemed to sit on tightly on the Motherx4
without them...

Anyway, I will test the M4 board without the Motherx4
again and powered via the usb and see if it works well without it.

I will examine the centronics connector on the cpc as well.
I am not sure, does it need cleaning?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your response.

@duke
Yes, I did in the end upgraded via the SD card. It was successful.
(The version number is 1.0.9 and the bin files disappeared from the
root folder so I would say it went well.)
Yes, I have some roms, Symbos 2.1, Protext and utopia.
My network setup is okay, I think, I am able to load the control webpage of the
board without problem.

Tamas

Quote from: robcfg on 09:17, 14 September 16
Do you have an edge connector or a centronics one?

In the cas eof an edge connector, I'd clean it thorougly. Then I'd try to power the M4 board externally.

Any other expansions you have connected?

Duke

If you dont use other expansion, then yes plug cable directly into M4 (no need to use usb power).
Using MX4 with M4 and no external powersupply is likely the root to your problems.

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 05:33, 14 September 16
The directory bug I can re-create. Will fix it asap.

But I don't have any problems with the DSK images (standard single sided). I am using a cpc6128 plus too, what is your romconfig ?
Interestingly this afternoon I've pulled out the SD card and reinserted it and all seems to be working fine! The card showed no other signs of not working and everything else was functional!

tvandor

Hi @Duke,

Yes, it seems that I need to power the Motherx4 itself.
I did a test, the m4 board alone, worked perfectly with or without usb power.
But it did not work with the Motherx4, even if the M4 board was powered with
usb power. Need to find a power supply for the Motherx4, it will probably work
with that. I will let you know.

Thank you,

Tamas

Quote from: Duke on 12:32, 14 September 16
If you dont use other expansion, then yes plug cable directly into M4 (no need to use usb power).
Using MX4 with M4 and no external powersupply is likely the root to your problems.

myrsky

Quote from: tvandor on 08:57, 14 September 16
Hi,

I  know this is slightly off topic, hope this is not a problem.

I am experiencing stability issues with my Schneider CPC 6128.
Mostly these are in the form of freezes, lockups: e.g. when I turn it on, and M4 boots,
and I run CAT on my root folder, sooner or later the CPC will corrupt the screen
(often just slightly), usually after 2-4 cat commands. Games that are loadable,
sometimes load, sometimes does not. (This time, screen corruption is heavier)
I have to try a few times then they load.

When I tried the |upgrade command yesterday to upgrade from 1.0.9 beta the CPC
just froze.

Does anyone had the same experience?
I would say that I suspect that my CPC that is faulty and not the M4 board.
Do you know guys anyone who would take on CPC repair?
I am afraid my soldiering skills limited to making cables
and I do not have the necessary knowledge to take on a task like this.
(I usually make things worse when I try :-) )

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Tamas

I have a closer symptoms on my CPC 464 adding some ramdom loop reboots with no solution at the moment, thats dont help sorry but if find a solution will be very welcome, good luck.

Duke

@Maniac
No idea what went wrong there, hopefully it wont happen again :)

Quote from: tvandor on 21:33, 14 September 16
But it did not work with the Motherx4, even if the M4 board was powered with
usb power.

Did you change the jumper from EXT to USB when powering via USB ?

tvandor

@duke

Yes, I did change the jumper every time I change the type of power (ext or usb)
I am fairly sure that I did that...

But to be 200% sure, I can do the another test tomorrow with the Motherx4, testing both power modes, jumper
set accordingly. :-)

Another thing I noticed: file upload does not seem to work with internet explorer (windows 10 version)
CPC freezes. Firefox works just fine.

Quote from: Duke on 21:37, 14 September 16
@Maniac
No idea what went wrong there, hopefully it wont happen again :)

Did you change the jumper from EXT to USB when powering via USB ?