News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC WiFi

Started by Duke, 07:36, 07 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke

Thanks @Maniac and @00WReX for testing.

Firmware v2.0.4 beta 10: Download http://spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v204b10.zip

WiFi: Fix WiFi connect issue after upgrade (clear some data and set proper RF cal data).
WiFi: Fix GD25Q32C ESP8266 spi flashchip to work in Quad IO mode.
DSK: Do not show files with system attribute set. (makes better catart too)
DSK: Show '*' after file with "Read Only" attribute set.
DSK: Do not reject strange sector numbers (like AMSOFT disk protection)

Hope it works better, than the last one.

GUNHED

First impression: Runs very well! Thank you for your great support!  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 15:29, 12 March 18

Thanks @Maniac and @00WReX for testing.

Firmware v2.0.4 beta 10: Download http://spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v204b10.zip

WiFi: Fix WiFi connect issue after upgrade (clear some data and set proper RF cal data).
WiFi: Fix GD25Q32C ESP8266 spi flashchip to work in Quad IO mode.
DSK: Do not show files with system attribute set. (makes better catart too)
DSK: Show '*' after file with "Read Only" attribute set.
DSK: Do not reject strange sector numbers (like AMSOFT disk protection)

Hope it works better, than the last one.
I'm afraid I still have the same issue and when I run ¦netstat it still says "No AP found". I've setup the networking again using ¦netset but still no joy I'm afraid.  :'(

Also went back to my original ROM config with M4 ROM in slot 7 and whilst CAT works better now when it gets to the end of the directory listing it then prompts with "Press PLAY then any key:"

Duke

Thanks @GUNHED & @Maniac  for testing.

Quote from: Maniac on 21:00, 12 March 18
I'm afraid I still have the same issue and when I run ¦netstat it still says "No AP found". I've setup the networking again using ¦netset but still no joy I'm afraid.  :'(

Running out of ideas. One thing, maybe try to reboot the router. Also can you pm me the ssid, channel you use and if there is any other specific settings (like MAC filtering)  and router brand. So I can try to replicate the settings as close as possible.

EDIT: one more thing, its important to put both upgrades on at the same time, or atleast upgrade with M4FIRM.BIN first. - Just in case....

SOS

Little feature-request:
m4info.txt:
     |cd,"/ takes you to the root of the sd.

Please could you add
     |cd,"\ takes you to the root of the sd.

So with "\" you get compatibility to the XMASS-OS's.

(Thanks  ;) )

HAL6128

...also works with my CPC. Updates via WebGui. Very stable.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 21:17, 12 March 18
Thanks @GUNHED & @Maniac  for testing.

Running out of ideas. One thing, maybe try to reboot the router. Also can you pm me the ssid, channel you use and if there is any other specific settings (like MAC filtering)  and router brand. So I can try to replicate the settings as close as possible.

EDIT: one more thing, its important to put both upgrades on at the same time, or atleast upgrade with M4FIRM.BIN first. - Just in case....
Rebooted router and although it changed the channel it was working on the M4 still doesn't connect I'm afraid.

The upgrade was performed as per the instructions by copying the flash files in the zip to the root of the SD card. This worked as expected and I only booted the Plus once the SD access LED was not lit.

Looks like I'm the only with this issue for some reason. My card is one of the originals, is that part of the issue?

pelrun

Some routers don't like talking to the esp8266 (either because they don't support one of the minor protocols, or it sends a weird/large packet that confuses the 8266) - do you have a different router you can try?

Duke

@SOS . Sure will add that, actually I thought it did already work with both / & \ .
@HAL 6128 thanks for testing and feedback!

Quote from: Maniac on 22:48, 12 March 18
Looks like I'm the only with this issue for some reason. My card is one of the originals, is that part of the issue?
No, but came to think of it, it may have to do with the different batches of ESP12F's used. There may be modules with a different size flashchip, than 32Mbit, which I have assumed for the latest builds.
Will make a new test for you later today :)

Quote from: pelrun on 05:33, 13 March 18
Some routers don't like talking to the esp8266 (either because they don't support one of the minor protocols, or it sends a weird/large packet that confuses the 8266)
Previous updates worked for him fine.
In latest beta's I finally upgraded the ESP NONOS sdk & libs to v2.2.0 from v1.5.x, this seems to be causing the problem.
One difference is that with the old one I could simply erase the entire chip and put on my firmware without initializing the init data (@0x3FC000 for 32Mbit and here I need to make the other offsets if different size flash is used).

Duke

M4 Firmware v2.0.4 release version now available.
Via |UPGRADE for non beta users.

Download from http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v204.zip and unpack to root of microSD if you have a v2.0.4 beta version or don't wanna use |UPGRADE.

Only minor changes, since last beta. ( |cd,"\" addition and set version to non beta).

The WiFi issue of @Maniac was not resolved and is most likely a flaw in the updated ESP NONOS SDK v2.2.0, under particular circumstances. Hopefully another update later will fix it.

Complete change log can be found here:
www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/M4_Board#Firmware

Duke

You can never test enough (*cough* atleast when I am involved).

Another beta (!), fixing issue with Eerie Forest & CRTC3 plus cartridge demos.

Download http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v205b1.zip   (unpack to root of microSD and reboot system).

• Fix CPC+ cartridge issue with demos Eerie Forest & CRTC3 (and maybe others)
Those who reported issues with them earlier, feel free to test, I bet they work now  8)

00WReX

Awesome work Duke.

I just updated and watched both Eerie Forest and CRTC3 all the way through on a 6128 Plus.

I was previously having issues with Eerie Forest.

Woohoo  :D

Cheers,
Shane

The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Jungsi

A friend sent me his M4 because he has a problem.

Everytime he start the M4 he has to set the network with "netset".
After a restart the connection is lost - netstat only shows "Unknown status 255"
When netset ist done everything works fine until a restart.
It looks like the settings from the sd card are not read. There is the folder M4 and the config.txt with the correct settings.
Tried directly connected to the CPC with adpater and with the m4 board. Tried different SD Cards ;-)
Firmware 2.0.4b8 - Board Revision 2.4

Duke

Quote from: Jungsi on 14:09, 17 March 18
Everytime he start the M4 he has to set the network with "netset".
After a restart the connection is lost - netstat only shows "Unknown status 255"
When netset ist done everything works fine until a restart.

Try to upgrade to v2.0.4 release or v2.0.5 beta #1. I think the problem would be fixed.

roudoudou

Hey Duke, it could be cool to add a RSX to write a (non protected) DSK from SD to real floppy?  ;D
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Jungsi

Quote from: Duke on 18:22, 17 March 18Try to upgrade to v2.0.4 release or v2.0.5 beta #1. I think the problem would be fixed.
Thanks Duke - updated to v2.0.5 beta - now it's woriking. Also on my own board Chibi Akuma is now working. :-)

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 21:38, 15 March 18
You can never test enough (*cough* atleast when I am involved).

Another beta (!), fixing issue with Eerie Forest & CRTC3 plus cartridge demos.

Download http://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v205b1.zip   (unpack to root of microSD and reboot system).

• Fix CPC+ cartridge issue with demos Eerie Forest & CRTC3 (and maybe others)
Those who reported issues with them earlier, feel free to test, I bet they work now  8)
Hi Duke,

You're unstoppable at the moment! Excellent work!

I've got around to testing 2.0.5 beta 1 today and despite all my issues with 2.0.4 and the networking everything now works as expected with this one! Did you change anything else between the full release of 2.0.4 and this new beta? I've not changed anything with my network setup other than restarting one of my Apple Airports but that shouldn't have caused this.

Regardless of the above I've been testing the cartridge stuff again today and I have to say things are much improved in this area. Controlling this via the web interface is so much neater than doing it via the RSX commands. I do find though that the cart image upload seems to require me to upload the image twice before it sticks for some reason. I've tried it via Edge and Chrome and both have the same impact. This is also regardless of having my C4CPC or standard Burnin' Rubber cart plugged in. However if I reset the M4 via the web interface prior to clicking 'Start Cart' it seems a bit more reliable.

Anyway great support as always and publically thank you for all your help with the v2.0.4 issues I had last week.

Kind regards
Maniac

Duke

Quote from: roudoudou on 14:48, 18 March 18
Hey Duke, it could be cool to add a RSX to write a (non protected) DSK from SD to real floppy?  ;D

Yes, sometime :)

There's already a program by @HAL 6128 here http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/amstrad-cpc-wifi/msg141353/#msg141353 which will enable you to write stardard non protected discs.

Quote from: Jungsi on 14:49, 18 March 18
Thanks Duke - updated to v2.0.5 beta - now it's woriking. Also on my own board Chibi Akuma is now working. :-)

Good to hear !

Quote from: Maniac on 14:50, 18 March 18
I've got around to testing 2.0.5 beta 1 today and despite all my issues with 2.0.4 and the networking everything now works as expected with this one! Did you change anything else between the full release of 2.0.4 and this new beta? I've not changed anything with my network setup other than restarting one of my Apple Airports but that shouldn't have caused this.
Nope nothing changed in the WiFi part, between the two.
Regardless of the above I've been testing the cartridge stuff again today and I have to say things are much improved in this area. Controlling this via the web interface is so much neater than doing it via the RSX commands. I do find though that the cart image upload seems to require me to upload the image twice before it sticks for some reason. I've tried it via Edge and Chrome and both have the same impact. This is also regardless of having my C4CPC or standard Burnin' Rubber cart plugged in. However if I reset the M4 via the web interface prior to clicking 'Start Cart' it seems a bit more reliable.
Yes, when uploading via web interface, you must use "M4 Reset" before the CPR/BIN image will be put into the M4 flash. The upload only produces CARTIMG.BIN in root of SD card, the reboot will flash it into M4 flash. 
This is unlike the |CTRUP basic command, which will flash the file directly to flash (no reboot needed).

Anyway great support as always and publically thank you for all your help with the v2.0.4 issues I had last week.

Thanks, I appreciate the testing and feedback :)

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 17:01, 18 March 18
Yes, when uploading via web interface, you must use "M4 Reset" before the CPR/BIN image will be put into the M4 flash. The upload only produces CARTIMG.BIN in root of SD card, the reboot will flash it into M4 flash. 
This is unlike the |CTRUP basic command, which will flash the file directly to flash (no reboot needed).

Thanks, I appreciate the testing and feedback :)
Is there any way that the upload, reboot and startup can be integrated in to one button please? Or at least the reboot and startup of a cart image? Would make things a lot more straightforward I think.

KaosOverride

Hi Duke

Thinking the other day about games which used RS232 for multiplayer, like TT RACER ( if there is any other), how complex will be to "emulate" the RS232 of the Amstrad interface ? The IO ports and some setup commands like |HostRS232 for the "server" and |ConnRS232, "ip address" for the client, then one socket is used for emulating the serial link and |EndRS232 for ending the link. Then when a link is done the legacy IO ports of the serial interface are used to send/receive data...
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

GUNHED

Are there problems with the command !m4help,rom-number ? With my 2nd running board this gives me a crash (newest firmware). The power should be ok, it's at the 6128plus. If not I have to get an USB PSU.
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Duke

Quote from: Maniac on 19:05, 18 March 18
Is there any way that the upload, reboot and startup can be integrated in to one button please? Or at least the reboot and startup of a cart image? Would make things a lot more straightforward I think.
I'll see what I can do.

Quote from: KaosOverride on 17:47, 19 March 18
Thinking the other day about games which used RS232 for multiplayer, like TT RACER ( if there is any other), how complex will be to "emulate" the RS232 of the Amstrad interface ? The IO ports and some setup commands like |HostRS232 for the "server" and |ConnRS232, "ip address" for the client, then one socket is used for emulating the serial link and |EndRS232 for ending the link. Then when a link is done the legacy IO ports of the serial interface are used to send/receive data...
It'll probably not be too hard to add, will have a look at it sometime.

Quote from: GUNHED on 18:25, 19 March 18
Are there problems with the command !m4help,rom-number ? With my 2nd running board this gives me a crash (newest firmware). The power should be ok, it's at the 6128plus. If not I have to get an USB PSU.
Which ROM did you check with |m4help ?  - I did make a couple of changes to it, maybe specific rom makes it crash....

GUNHED

Oh, worded well with M4 ROM, problems with Maxam, crash with FutureOS ROM A. But it could be the PSU, first I have to buy an USB-PSU and try it with the M4. Just thought somebody saw similar behavior, but since nobody replied I guess it's the lack of an USB-PSU.  :)

Duke

Quote from: GUNHED on 15:01, 20 March 18
Oh, worded well with M4 ROM, problems with Maxam, crash with FutureOS ROM A. But it could be the PSU, first I have to buy an USB-PSU and try it with the M4. Just thought somebody saw similar behavior, but since nobody replied I guess it's the lack of an USB-PSU.  :)
Just tested with maxam, and oups yeah it crashes bad :) - I must have messed something up... M4 and AMSDOS works fine...

Bug noted!

EDIT: Found the bug... I made a direct call to a rom function (call crlf, doh), but the m4help function is copied to ram and thus the rom address is not available unless M4 rom is enabled.
Fixed for next build.

KaosOverride

Is there any known limit for the MicroSD filesystem? I'm having some file and dir errors with my last files copied from PC...

Now I have  4418 folders and 26922 files from a big Games folder, symbos 3 and some util folders.

I had the Games at first and have problems with the new utils I copied. Then I have formated the MicroSD, copied backup of the M4 folder and then the util folder, symbos and games.

Now the last games main subfolder gives no file under cat, and some of the games in folders of the penultimate subfolder also list no files or garbage....
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder