News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad floppy drive not working

Started by Traindriver69, 15:38, 30 January 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Traindriver69

Hi all
I have just got hold of a amstrad 6128 and a amstrad FD-1 external disc drive with some software on disc.
When I plugged it all in neither drive worked so ordered some new drive belts replaced them now I tried a disc in the computer and it would only play a couple of discs and on the external drive but still said no disc.
Looking at both running the computer one spun the disc and the head moved but on the external only spun the disc head not moving.
I just thought I would swap them over and see what happens and to my surprise the disc drive in the computer is now fully working and reading every disc but the one in the external drive head still not moving even though it was on the computer.
I have checked the voltages on the power connector that connects to the disc drive and they are fine.
Anyone out there got any ideas.
Many thanks

LambdaMikel

Since the drives are fine (so you did not loose the ready pin in case it should have had one instead of the LED when you exchanged the drive belts), it must be either with the cable, the external floppy port, or the connector in the FD1 case (or cables within). Maybe start with checking the cables thoroughly, especially the ready signal line?

Bryce

The power supply in the FD-1 might also be the issue. The 5V and 12V for the drive aren't coming from the CPC.

Bryce.

Traindriver69

Hi
Already checked the power in it is showing 12v and 5v so thats correct just had a thought I also have an external dual 3.5 floppy drive if I plug them into the computer instead of the FD-1 will they work which if so would dimiss the computer and main cable as the problem.many thanks

LambdaMikel

Quote from: Traindriver69 on 12:50, 31 January 19
Hi
Already checked the power in it is showing 12v and 5v so thats correct just had a thought I also have an external dual 3.5 floppy drive if I plug them into the computer instead of the FD-1 will they work which if so would dimiss the computer and main cable as the problem.many thanks
So you are using a cable that was made for a 3.5" drive? Can yo share the details of that cable... as you know, there are sometimes mods required to the cables (READY etc.) to make it work with a 3.5" drive... these mods might prevent the FD1 from working with that very same cable. So unless that is a legit FD1 cable, you might have identified the problem.

A DUAL 3.5" external floppy drive sounds very suspicious to me in the first place... how is the controller going to handle 3 drives? This drive was probably engineered for the 464...

Traindriver69

I have the lead that came with the FD1 which I have no reason to doubt its not the right one.The only reason I said about the dual drive is I have one with my Sinclair ql computer and was trying to find a way of narrowing down what is wrong.