News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Anyone know about Gotek?

Started by ProfessorPike, 17:30, 15 July 19

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfessorPike

Bought it, plugged it in.

Put some dsk images in the root directory of the memory stick. The configuration files are in there.

"This device is flashed with the last FlashFloppy firmware for Amiga/Atari/Amstrad/Sinclair/Acorn/IBM-PC computers[size=78%]"[/size]

I get the message on the screen. If I twiddle the knob, I get HFE instead of * T:00.0

Anyone know what im doing wrong?

*edit* I've now put it into "native" mode by removing the configuration files. I can now scroll though the disk images, I leave it hovering over the one I want, turn CPC on and IB (cant do the I) and it says disc b not found retry abort cancel

Having looked at the stick, a file called "image_a.cfg" has appeared. It is trying to be drive a? *edit(again)* its not that, that references an atari ST game for some reason!. I've now deleted everything off the memory stick and put only the CPC dsk images on there

:(

Given up playing now, I can hover over a disc image, the light is always red. There is no noises from the gotek doing Ib and when I do Ib, the internal floppy drive light comes on!

ProfessorPike

Unplugged it. Plugged it in again, now it works.random!!!

Audronic

Hi All

Just finished FlashFloppy On Screen Display Mod (Hardware).
Using Blue Pill Board.
Oled now NOT required
It works well see photos

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

That's a blast from the past. Jeffs original HxC did this too until he moved to LCD as far as I can remember.

Bryce.

Token

Quote from: Audronic on 00:34, 22 October 19
Hi All

Just finished FlashFloppy On Screen Display Mod (Hardware).
Using Blue Pill Board.
Oled now NOT required
It works well see photos

Ray
Cool! First one I see done with FlashFloppy. My Amstrad were the only machines I could use easilly the OLED with it's frontal GOTEK... But anyway I'm thinking to do it as well. Is it possible to keep the OLED? Also does it have the keyboard input? Now it's the ST and Amiga that really need it with their side drive, but again, it's the very first one I see and it's done on CPC.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: Bryce on 07:51, 22 October 19
That's a blast from the past. Jeffs original HxC did this too until he moved to LCD as far as I can remember.

Bryce.

Jeff added something like that recently to his firmware, but it still required the hardware mod to the video signal for the overlay.

Me, i'm not too bothered by having it on screen, those little OLED displays are nice. Maybe if it was integrated with keyboard control or native firmware control of disk image selection rather than using the selector application...

Bryce

No, I'm talking about a very early version (from what I can remember) that had an LM1881 on the board and was patched into the CPC video lines.

Bryce.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Ah, I was unaware of that one then.

Bryce

If you look long enough.... Eventually found a picture and some posts about it: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/other-retro/use-a-raspberry-pi-as-an-hxc-drive!/msg73253/#msg73253

Here's the original installation instructions: http://atariamiga.free.fr/installation_sdiskemul_cpc_int.php

Bryce.

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 13:24, 22 October 19

Jeff added something like that recently to his firmware, but it still required the hardware mod to the video signal for the overlay.

Me, i'm not too bothered by having it on screen, those little OLED displays are nice. Maybe if it was integrated with keyboard control or native firmware control of disk image selection rather than using the selector application...
"Recently"... You mean 6 months ago ?The feature is not new on the HxC firmware. ;)
The "hardware mod" is quite simple to do and this is even simpler than the flashfloppy solution. No "blue pill" or any others additional board needed. No soldering needed on the machine.

And the OSD with the HxC firmware provide you a file selector, not just the poor LCD two lines informations ;)
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1683#p20587

Video demo :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl1FX8N-ILo

Audronic

Cool! First one I see done with FlashFloppy.

Is it possible to keep the OLED?
Yes. You would have to make a Y cable One leg for BluePill other leg for Oled.

Also does it have the keyboard input?
Not for the Amstrad CPC .

Addendum :-
OSD alongside LCD/OLED: (FlashFloppy v3.4a and later only)

Place a jumper across pins A0-A1.

This enables a custom protocol supported only by FlashFloppy, giving an enhanced display and allowing use of an LCD or OLED at the same time as FF OSD.

Dual display requires both FF OSD and the LCD/OLED to be connected to the Gotek display header, for example by creating splitter wires to connect each Gotek header pin to the LCD/OLED and to FF OSD.

You may still require the 4.7k pull-up resistors on B6 and B7.

Good luck.  Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

ProfessorPike

Lots going on in here!!

It's started giving read errors again, I don't think it's making good contact with the expansion port.

The cable pushing on the desk below I think is the culprit!need to prop the cpc up and see if that helps!!