News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Arcade Joysticks.

Started by Bryce, 09:13, 25 October 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi All,
       anybody else seen this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Schneider-CPC-464-CPC464-Farb-TV-Monitor-/280579554657?pt=Klassische_Computer&hash=item4153d83d61

The 464 isn't the interesting bit. Take a look at those 3 Arcade style joysticks. They look like they could take some serious abuse.

Bryce.

archcosmo

bought one of those not so long ago from an ebay.de seller (who was prepared to ship worldwide)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320592859622&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I took it apart to see what bits were used: they're made using arcade style buttons and micro switches for the directions, and a straighforward timer circuit (555 or similar) for the pot adjustable rapid fire feature... variable rapid fire works quite well with the C64 shmups I tried it on :-)

Gryzor

The joysticks do look nice and interesting, but I don't fully get it - what are these 'paddle' knobs for instance? Is it metal? Other than that, it surely looks nice, but at 45 euros it's rather expensive... also, is it vintage or modern?

Archcosmo, are they any good?

Btw, if you want to see a joystick that could take some beating try googling for Pacman or Tomahawk joysticks... I think I had posted some pics here, too. Greek-made, absurdly tough, totally arcade quality. I even threw one out of the window (third floor, mind you) and it survived 100%....

Bryce

That explains why you had to fix that window this week. Tip for the future: Step 1, open window. Step 2, throw "anger causing object" out.

Bryce. 

archcosmo

Hey Gryzor

the one that I got wasn't brand new, but it's in decent shape for something could be a couple of decades old... there aren't any copyright or year of manufacture markings on the outside unfortunately... as things go on ebay, the price I paid was my high bid, but is actually a 2nd chance offer to buy the owner's other joystick - how could I resist an arcade style retro joystick?? ;-)

the paddles are meant for the C64, as some very old games could be controlled that way - there's also a switch to toggle between joystick and the paddles (potentiometers) as well as adjustable rapid fire

as for comfort, it's good, but not great.... actually, the right hand side of the top part isn't quite wide enough to rest my hand on while using it, and so my hand will rest on the edge or corner of it.... I'll need to dig out some very fine grit sand paper and smooth out that corner some more :-)