News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Bad contact in the expansion port...

Started by SyX, 17:29, 12 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

SyX

At last i have get a decent work table to put simultaneously the PC & CPC and ... Murphy is my hero :P

I have installed my 6128 with CRTC 4, the one that i was using mainly with the MegaFlash, and when i switch on with the MegaFlash, i get crashes of every colour and demo fxs  ;D without the MegaFlash the CPC goes perfectly. Lucky me, i have another 6128 (with CRTC 2... ugh :P) and it goes perfectly with the MegaFlash. It's strange because i was using the CRTC 4 the last friday when i tested the Bomb Jack roms and today, nothing.

And i don't see anything odd in the expansion port... well, i suppose that i will must to clean the contacts (and before today i was lucky) ...

What it's the best method to clean them, ¿alcohol? ¿rubber?... or anybody think that i would must test other things before???

TFM

I always used cotton tips with 200 proof alcohol. *Hicks*
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Joseman

Hi Syx

I readed sometime ago that the best for this purpose is the use of  "alcohol isopropilico"

Personally i don't have experience with this alcohol cause i use contact cleaner bought on an electronic shop...

but if you read on internet you'll see a lot of people that cleans electronic circuits with this...

Regards
Joseman

SyX

Thank you both!!! :)

I will test tomorrow and tell you how goes ;)

Badstarr

A decent pencil eraser/rubber whatever you like to call it usually does the job for me, on my 6128 or when I install old PCI and RAM cards in my Powermac G5, which is infamous for not throwing a fit if the contacts are less than perfect!

Just use a fairly firm pencil eraser not an abrasive/gritty one, gently rub each contact in turn until all the black residue/oxidisation is removed and you have nice shiny contacts. Remember to do both sides, top and bottom. I assume your machine has edge connectors?

Isopropyl Alcohol is very good too but usually best after cleaning with a rubber, the alcohol has good anti static properties too, that's why I use it on my Vinyl records. This can only be a good thing for electronics, I use it on my GT65 monitor screen it keeps the dust from sticking so much!   
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

SyX

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Isopropyl alcohol is a secondary alcohol relative to propanol. My dad used to bring me gallons of it when he was working as a chemist to clean different things. That said, it's not really better than pure alcohol, merely a LOT cheaper, and that's why it's used.

SyX

I have applied all your wise advices and i can confirm that in this moment my CRTC 4 is officially fine and running with the MegaFlash attached :D

Thanks boys!!! You are Great!!!  :D :D :D

xesrjb

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:32, 13 September 11
Isopropyl alcohol is a secondary alcohol relative to propanol. My dad used to bring me gallons of it when he was working as a chemist to clean different things. That said, it's not really better than pure alcohol, merely a LOT cheaper, and that's why it's used.

So, now I'm drunken and the PCB is still dirty!

xesrjb
,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

TFM

Quote from: xesrjb on 13:07, 15 September 11

So, now I'm drunken and the PCB is still dirty!

xesrjb
Because you picked the wrong bottle, not Ethanol! Take 2-Isopropanol! (Which is not cheaper then Ethanol in USA).
TFM of FutureSoft