News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Best Joystick?

Started by pacomix, 20:27, 18 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

pacomix

What was for you the best joystick sold for the 8bit computers with the exception of the Telemach series?

The Last Bandit

Zipstick is decent, use one all the time now. Never had one back-in-the-day though had to make do with a crappy Quickshot.

Gryzor

Pacman and Tomahawk sticks. Real arcade sticks (as in, using real arcade parts and mechanisms), metal body. Fantastic feel, totally indestructible. Nothing -really, NOTHING- beat these.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

I'm using this one with my MiST FPGA. Plastic case, but same arcade parts and two fire buttons (plus an autofire button):
[attachimg=4]

Munchausen

Hmm, I actually really like the quickshot python (at least as long as it doesnt have those annoying clicky buttons). It fits in my hand really nicely.

But I use a quickshot joypad most of the time, one I modified to work properly on the CPC. (Turbofire doesn't work of course).

Cholo

Managed to wear out a couple of these "The Arcade" sticks (black and browns ones):

Suzo The Arcade Joystick unboxing and inside look, AwesomeRetro

Was really good exact movenment and the button was really responsive and fast  ;) The "brown" version looks really odd i recall but it really didnt matter when i was in the store and HAD to have one of these.

Gryzor

Stick looks too long for this small a base... no?

MacDeath

some games needing great precision and speed  : Konix speedking (better in 2buttons)

great for R-type (except if one button only model...ouch), rick dangerous, shinobi and so on... but sucks to be left handed I guess...

other style games good for "airplane like sticks" : quickjoy superboard 5

badass for operation wolf, gunship/flight simulator, most car/bike simulators, fire and forget and afterburner... cabal and first person shooters  too indeed...

BluesBrothers

For me personally I find I like different sticks for different games. Of the ergonomic types I think the Konix Navigator is nice and Mastertonic realised the Magnum which is fairly similar and pretty nice to use. For a more classic everyday stick I like Sure Shot sticks which tend to be built pretty heavily considering how smooth they can be and when stuff does go they're fairly easy to service. There was one stick and I can't remember now for the life of me what it was called but it was made in Wales by a couple of teenagers and I understand only a thousand or so were ever made, well the thing was built like the controls to a crane. Macc used to have one and he still maintains you can not have a better game of PacMan on any other stick. If i remember i'll ask him and get him to post up here. I should remember as I actually sold it for him :laugh: . One of the guys who made it contacted me in disbelief that one of his sticks was available after all this time and he gave me the back story of their production. Aparentely they had fairly much scored a deal with Atari but the banks wouldn't support them saying there was no future in the Video Games market. Oh dear hey???

emuola

I always liked the Suzo Arcade a lot. The great thing is that those have a real pcb inside, so you can solder new micro switches and the joystick is like new :D

A bit OT, but these should be pretty good (haven't ordered one just yet):
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=1172

Looks promising :)
Amstrad CPC 6128+ and internal HxC floppy emulator

protek

I just finished making my own.  :D

Cholo

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:31, 20 March 14
Stick looks too long for this small a base... no?
Yes, it may look a bit oddly shaped, but the shape is actually what makes it that much better (in my eyes) than other joysticks. Hard to explain but the small base fits really well in my left hand giving me a really tight grip around the "nose" and my thumb is ready there on the firebutton. This leaves my right hand free to do whatever is needed on the stick side. Perfect for Daley Thompson wrigger games to pixel perfect platformers. Of cause on button mashers youd need a different tactics .. good thing you could hopefully find a table nearby or lock it between your legs  ;D Just like dinosaurs & nature .. youth always finds a way (to hold a joystick).

Bryce

Quote from: protek on 09:31, 21 March 14
I just finished making my own.  :D

It must be tough, it killed your robot!

Bryce.

Kris

Konix Navigator: I still have mine and it is working perfectly, like on the old good days :)

http://wos.meulie.net/pub/sinclair/hardware-adverts/KonixNavigator.jpg

romppainen

My favourites depends of what kind of games I use them for, I can't name just one above others: I've liked Konix Speed King and Navigator since my childhood but I also prefer Wico Ergostick, Arcade Turbo, non-repro Competition Pro and different Zipstiks just to mention some, and sometimes some of those good old Wico Command Controls is best option to achieve real old-school arcade feel - and if you like them the Deluxe model is even better. I collect these damn things and I have something like ~50 models I haven't even tested properly yet so top list "lives" all the time, I bet there's still many nice surprises perviously unknown to me waiting out there and you can bet I'm on the hunt for them.

Quote from: Gryzor on 21:38, 18 March 14Pacman and Tomahawk sticks. Real arcade sticks (as in, using real arcade parts and mechanisms), metal body. Fantastic feel, totally indestructible. Nothing -really, NOTHING- beat these.
I've been trying to source at least one sample of each Aneroussis model (+ many other greek-made sticks) for a while but haven't had much luck with them so far, can't wait to get opportunity to try them out. I have CMS Super 8 tho but it's bit of different beast.

Quote from: BluesBrothers on 00:52, 21 March 14There was one stick and I can't remember now for the life of me what it was called but it was made in Wales by a couple of teenagers and I understand only a thousand or so were ever made, well the thing was built like the controls to a crane. Macc used to have one and he still maintains you can not have a better game of PacMan on any other stick.
That's Rapier: Built like an industrial controller and offers very strict accuracy. There's one in eBay UK (not mine) for very nice price right now, grab it while you can!

BluesBrothers

Quote from: romppainen on 20:26, 27 March 14
That's Rapier: Built like an industrial controller and offers very strict accuracy. There's one in eBay UK (not mine) for very nice price right now, gra it while you can!

that's the baby ;)

Devlin

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:06, 20 March 14
some games needing great precision and speed  : Konix speedking (better in 2buttons)

great for R-type (except if one button only model...ouch), rick dangerous, shinobi and so on... but sucks to be left handed I guess...

other style games good for "airplane like sticks" : quickjoy superboard 5

badass for operation wolf, gunship/flight simulator, most car/bike simulators, fire and forget and afterburner... cabal and first person shooters  too indeed...

Actually the Speedking isn't so bad for a lefty - I have two and as a lefty I love the thing!
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Gryzor

Quote from: romppainen on 20:26, 27 March 14

I've been trying to source at least one sample of each Aneroussis model (+ many other greek-made sticks) for a while but haven't had much luck with them so far, can't wait to get opportunity to try them out. I have CMS Super 8 tho but it's bit of different beast.

There haven't been that many Greek sticks, though they were pretty awesome. The CMS Super 8 is definitely nice (where did you find it?!?) but also definitely a step below the sturdiness of Pacman&Co. I actually have one connected to my PC through a convertor :)

And yeah, too difficult to find them these days; I've almost never seen them in ads, and I got almost all of them through friends who didn't need them (fools!) or by trading something else for them. Too bad... Though if you're desperate you could try signing up at retromaniax.gr and asking for one :)