News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Keyboard Issues on my CPC6128

Started by AMSDOS, 04:17, 09 August 14

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

I decided to get out my Amstrad CPC6128 after many years (under the dust covers), only to find some of the keyboard isn't working. Most of the keys still seem to be working with the more crucial ones, I have no Shift, Control isn't working, f4 for some reason, "i" and some of the keys around that including Return, Small Enter still works, and I have no control key.

Thinking it might of been the edge connector I opened it up, only to find it was firmly in place, does anyone know if the edge connector deteriorates, the one I have on the keyboard seemed very stiff, but it didn't appear damaged. But I'm thinking it might be the keys themselves which may not be registering due to the sticky nature of them, though I'm unsure why the Control isn't going cause it seems fine.

Can anyone help me here please?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

gerald

Quote from: AMSDOS on 04:17, 09 August 14
I have no Shift, Control isn't working, f4 for some reason, "i" and some of the keys around that including Return, Small Enter still works, and I have no control key.
Shift, Crtl, F4, return, CLR, [, ], \ are all on the same keyboard matrix line. This suggest that the line connection is wrong rather than the keys themselves.
Quote from: AMSDOS on 04:17, 09 August 14
Does anyone know if the edge connector deteriorates, the one I have on the keyboard seemed very stiff, but it didn't appear damaged.
The connection can go wrong with time. Unplugging an plugging the connectors back usually solve the problem.

AMSDOS

Thanks, I'll have a look, I just opened the keyboard up and found quite a bit of dust/hair on the Membrane, I cleaned this up, though it didn't resolve it, I didn't unplug the connector from the Mainboard though.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Quote from: gerald on 07:29, 09 August 14
Shift, Crtl, F4, return, CLR, [, ], \ are all on the same keyboard matrix line. This suggest that the line connection is wrong rather than the keys themselves.The connection can go wrong with time. Unplugging an plugging the connectors back usually solve the problem.

Yes that seemed to be the problem, thanks very much for that.  :)

These keys seem to go to the outer connector, got a bit of a fright when I pulled out the cable cause I was expecting the Black connector to come out with it, but that part is actually soldered to the board, managed to put it back in, all working as if it was the 1990s again!  :D

I took some photos of my computer while I had it opened up which had some modifications done to it which particularly involves the  NEC D765AC-2 Chip, unfortunately my photos are all that clear and all I can gather is it relates to the 2 x 5.25" Disk Drives, though I also got somewhere what appears to be a Homemade RS232, it doesn't have a Power supply unit accompanying it. I think it was being used to connect to a Printer cause I had a number of Printouts somewhere.

Even though I haven't been able to use the machine for what the original owner did, I've been able to use bits of it like the 5.25" Disk Drive, I've been able to use it as if it was an ordinary Amstrad.  :)

Your Computer Programs

Bryce

Ooo, something went wrong with that second picture  :o   And I thought "wow, what a cool dust cover" at first.

Bryce.

AMSDOS

I'll try again.

Your Computer Programs

Bryce

Getting closer :D but still no cigar.

Bryce.

AMSDOS

Should be there now, I've switched from Safari to Chrome.

Your Computer Programs