News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Chopped CPC464 on eBay

Started by DrMoffet, 22:34, 28 May 11

Previous topic - Next topic

DrMoffet

This is interesting...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMSTRAD-CPC-464-64K-PC-COMPUTER-GREEN-SCREEN-SPECTRUM-/330568277014?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item4cf7679c16

I wonder how you'd connect a tape drive. Simple mod to the board for an external tape player, like a Speccy? Can only be used with a DDI-1?

steve

If the person who buys that machine reads this post then I have a spare tape drive I could sell to him, all I have to do is saw it off the end of my 464.

MacDeath

There was already one topic on this one ? or Am I Crazy ?

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?topic=2302.0

steve

@MacDeath, yes, you are correct, but I think it is impolite to tell new posters that a subject has been covered before.

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: DrMoffet on 22:34, 28 May 11
This is interesting...
I wonder how you'd connect a tape drive. Simple mod to the board for an external tape player, like a Speccy? Can only be used with a DDI-1?

I'll let you know all the answers once I've won it  ;D

DrMoffet

Oops, sorry guys. I obviously hadn't seen the previous thread (hadn't looked at General Discussion). Mods, can you delete this one please?  :)

MacDeath

No problem, I wasn't meant to be rude at all... ;D

If you took it as a rude comment, I apologie then. :-[

BTW, welcome aboard, DrMoffet. :)

loco

In my opinion this is going for quite a high price considering what it is, and what normal ones go for.

Perhaps we will see a spate of 'cut & shuts' in future, depending on the outcome of this auction  :D

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: loco on 19:51, 30 May 11
In my opinion this is going for quite a high price considering what it is, and what normal ones go for.
true.  currently at £11.50.  I could spend that on time, effort and glue hacking up on the spare one's I have in the loft.

...but....then there is the curiosity aspect.... is it just a piece of art? is it a working 464 still (minus tape drive) or does it have a speccie 48k wedged inside with the keyboard connected up?..... okay, maybe that might be worth £17.50  :o

loco

£38.77!

Right..... where's my hacksaw?!  :laugh:

Gryzor

Imagine that - if you have a 464 with a faulty tape deck you can sell half the 464 and the deck separately for spares :D

loco

Yes, a 'Chopped CPC464 Restoration Kit' for chopped CPC owners who wish to restore theirs to stock  ;D

MacDeath

QuoteNice Casemod but without ANY functionality. No Monitor-Port, no Power-Jack - nothing :-) Just casemod with a chopped pcb.
WTF ? you can't even plus a monitor ?

Lol it's even worse than a "GX464old"...

robcfg

Maybe you can fit inside a cost-down CPC PCB... maybe....

I'll be waiting for the pictures!  :D

Bryce

A CPC+ PCB would fit perfectly inside it still.

Bryce.

MacDeath

Yet the problem may remains...

What can you do with a CPC464 keyboard lacking arrow keys and Functions keys ?

Debugging can become sure a pain in the @$$.

Would certainly be better with a sawn off CPC6128 casing including a 6128PLUS motherboard...
Yet you would need a solution for the Cartridge port, also the Analog port and so on...

Weren't the cost down PCB with preASIC smaller ?

robcfg

Bryce

The cartridge slot is socketed, so you could make a connection lead and have it face out the top like an Atari 800XL.
Arrow keys would still be a problem though.

Bryce.