News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Cleaning stubborn case?

Started by llopis, 11:19, 23 September 18

Previous topic - Next topic

llopis

I'm restoring a 464 (with tall keys and keyboard cable connection instead of ribbons) which has a surprisingly dirty case. It looks like splotches, but I just *can't* remove them.

I've tried all the usual stuff I've done with other cases and nothing has worked:

• Soap and water
  • Window cleaning solution
  • Baking soda
  • Alcohol
Any idea what I might be able to try? I don't even understand what could be causing those splotches. I don't think it's bleaching/discoloration.

gerald

Quote from: llopis on 11:19, 23 September 18
I'm restoring a 464 (with tall keys and keyboard cable connection instead of ribbons) which has a surprisingly dirty case. It looks like splotches, but I just *can't* remove them.

I've tried all the usual stuff I've done with other cases and nothing has worked:

• Soap and water
  • Window cleaning solution
  • Baking soda
  • Alcohol
Any idea what I might be able to try? I don't even understand what could be causing those splotches. I don't think it's bleaching/discoloration.
That looks like cleaned paint drop. It will be difficult to remove as you have to use paint solvent that may also attack the ABS (white spirit / acetone).

llopis

Quote from: gerald on 11:43, 23 September 18
That looks like cleaned paint drop. It will be difficult to remove as you have to use paint solvent that may also attack the ABS (white spirit / acetone).
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. It would certainly fit the patterns on the case. I may try with some kind of solvent on the inside of the case and evaluate if it does some real damage.

Another question: What about very discolored keys? For example, this Enter key. You can see the original blue at the bottom (and in the inside) but the top is an ugly grey with a hint of blue. Is there a way to restore it? I think I read oxygen peroxide doesn't react well with the CPC keys (although these are the tall keys, which are very different). Any thoughts?

llopis

I might had had some breakthrough with this. I tried nail-polish remover on the inside, but it just removed the shiny coating. But then I realized there wasn't much of a shiny coating outside, especially after scrubbing with slightly-abrasive baking soda.

So I scrubbed that area with baking soda again, and then I applied a tiny bit of olive oil. It was instantly sucked in by the case and those patterns pretty much disappeared. I wiped it out completely with a paper towel and now it's not oily to the touch at all (you can't leave fingerprints), yet the patterns have pretty much disappeared!

I suppose something like a car dashboard restoring product would be better than olive oil, but this is a pretty amazing transformation! We'll see if it still looks good in a few days.

Gryzor

Has the oil come to the surface yet?

Also, there's a shining coat inside? I really doubt it...

llopis

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:19, 07 November 18
Has the oil come to the surface yet?
No, it's great! It's the most pristine-looking of all my CPC cases. And it's not oily at all.

I heard from other people who have similar results using car dashboard restoring products (which are mostly oils with a few things added).

Gryzor

Got a bottle in my car, I should try it :)

PaddyC13

Some other items you can try which do work from personal experience...

1. Water and Magic Eraser.
2. Face Cream e.g. Nivea.
3. Vaseline.

In all cases try on a non visible part of the case first.  Apply in small quantities in a circular motion.  Good to have Magic Eraser and Micro Fiber clothes available.

BTW - face cream works really well on the rubberised finishes you get on computers like ThinkPads. :-)

Hope this helps.

Paddy