News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Symbiface and cf-ide adaptors

Started by CraigsBar, 20:17, 11 June 14

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Quick question time. Has anyone got any experience with using a combination of master hdd and slave cf-ide adaptor with a symbiface.

I currently have a n 80 gig 3.5 inch hdd for primary storage but would like to use a 16 gb cf card as a secondary (more easily removable) storage. However when trying to configure the cf card Symbos returns either error 4 or error 5.

With 2 hdds all is fine. Does symbos not play nice with standard cf - ide adaptors?
Craig

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

rpalmer

craigsbar,

SymbiFace probably does not have the driver support for CF cards, or maybe the card itself wont "play ball".

HDOS does support CF cards, but I found that some will not work at all even though should given the CF specification to say it should.

rpalmer

CraigsBar

Quote from: rpalmer on 20:27, 11 June 14
craigsbar,

SymbiFace probably does not have the driver support for CF cards, or maybe the card itself wont "play ball".

HDOS does support CF cards, but I found that some will not work at all even though should given the CF specification to say it should.

rpalmer

I thought that those CF - IDE adaptors were OS transparent,effectively presenting the CF card as an IDE Harddrive. I guess I am outta luck :(

craig

robcfg

I have a SF2 card with a CF adapter and it works fine. I remember that some people had to cut a track on some CF adapters for them to work.

CraigsBar

Quote from: robcfg on 20:36, 11 June 14
I have a SF2 card with a CF adapter and it works fine. I remember that some people had to cut a track on some CF adapters for them to work.

I don't suppose you can remember which track?

edit:

Ahh 28 to force it to be slave, Hmm, Pulled the pin and no difference  I wonder if I can get it back through the hole LOL.

Oh Well as a final last try I have ordered a SD to IDE adaptor and I'll see if this route works. Will let you know as soon as it gets here.

Craig

Munchausen

I had a few problems with mine and I think it turned out to be the cable IIRC - I remember something about not being able to use an 80 wire cable if you want to use two disks. After some trial and error I got it to work. I am using a dual CF to IDE adapter, but I can't find exactly which one I bought.

Cholo

Same here. First tried a CF IDE adapter but kept getting errors with my symbiface 2 even after i tried modding it. Could be a issue with the CF card itself too.

Then got a SD IDE adapter and it worked right away (even had auto master/slave selection on it so it was definately worth the extra £10 it cost more than the CF one).

CraigsBar

I am now really looking forward to the arrival of my IDE - SD card adaptor. A nice large 32 or 64gb SD card is also MUCH cheaper than the CF variety.

This will hopefully be a much easier way to share and swap files between the CPC and Mac without needing to go through DSK -> HFE conversions etc.

Regards

Craig.

rpalmer

Craigsbar,

Be sure the SD card is using FAT32 or you will have no luck in file transfers.

rpalmer

CraigsBar

OK I think I am going to give up here.

I have tried 2 different CF-> IDE adaptors and a SD->IDE adaptor.

I can get NONE of them to work as either a single MASTER device or a SLAVE with with Symbos booted from my 80gb HDD as normal.

the idea was to reduce the power requirements for the Symbiface to 5v thus allowing me to dispense with the PC Power supply for a nice quiet Regulated 5v supply with no fans. Bit I guess that ain't gonna happen as I cannot get a single CF or SD card IDE solution to be usable with the Symbiface at all.

If anyone has this set up and working (Symbos booting from a CF or SD card) please let me know what adaptor they are using. If I am going to buy yet another adaptor I *REALLY* want to make sure it's gonna work.

Craig.

Munchausen

I am using this one: Dual Compact Flash to IDE Converter Adapter 40 Pin CF | eBay

I had some troubles getting it going, I think I did have to remove a pin or something, and then also had problems with cables. There is a guide somewhere in pdf format (and in german) that uses almost the exact same model, I used that to work from. I'm away for a week but I'll check my setup when I get back. You also need to make sure the drive is formatted and partitioned properly I think, I don't think you can do this from symbos (I used linux).

CraigsBar

Quote from: Munchausen on 11:48, 24 June 14
I am using this one: Dual Compact Flash to IDE Converter Adapter 40 Pin CF | eBay

The first one I bought was the exact same as that (Only with a single CF bay) same board and markings etc...

and try as I might I cannot get it working

SInce then I bought a 44pin version with 44 pin adaptor and a 44 pin SD card adaptor. Neither of which work with the symbiface.

Perhaps I should try my other Symbiface instead and if that does not work, my other CPC!

Thanksfor the photo anyway.

Munchausen

Here's the pdf I mentioned: http://nilquader.net/cpc/CFKartenSymbiface.pdf

Looks like you do need to remove a pin... I know you tried it already but all I can say is fiddle with it. Mine also didn't work for some time and then after reformatting and playing with cables for some time it just worked!

CraigsBar

Still no joy with the cf card. However last night I swapped the sd card in the sd adaptor (from 4gb to 8gb) and used a 40 not 80 wire ribbon cable and it works. Ok 8gb is not 80, but symbos works fine with it.

CraigsBar

The sd card adaptor has been faultless. I have managed to reduce and revise the power requirements for the set up considerably. So instead of running it all from an old pc power supply (which was crazy noisy) I found and reutilised a hdd caddy power supply that had both 5 and 12 volt pins to run the lot.

The 5v goes to the sd adaptor and HxC. With the 12v to the symbiface. So far perfect boot every time.

Happy man I am!

beaker

CraigsBar