News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
R

Correct 464 power supply.

Started by Robert, 09:24, 26 May 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert

Hello All,

Was recently donated a 464 by a friend, looks in great shape, loads of games but no power supply.

In my eagerness to get it running I ran to B&Q and picked up a multi voltage / multi pin power adapter. It has a 5v setting and supports 2500mA but when connected I get nothing - no power light, no tape activity.

Is this a sign that it is dead? Or will a power source like this simply not support the unit?

Thanks.

Robert

steve

You need to check the polarity of the power supply, the 464 socket uses the centre pin for the positive connection and the outer part for the negative.

Check that your power supply has its positive connection as the centre part.

If not then your amstrad will need to be repaired, if it is correct then you should slide the switch on the side of the CPC464 to "on" ;D

Robert

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply - I appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice.

This is the power supply I'm using. The pins on the end are reversible and can be plugged in either way, which I'm guessing reverses the polarity?

I've tried the pin in both directions however, and not had any joy. B&Q Ac/Dc Mains Adaptor, 0000003611548

Thanks,

Robert

steve

Sorry, but if you have tried the plug both ways, then you have probably damaged the computer and it will need to be repaired, you can buy power supply kits designed specifically for the amstrad CPC on ebay and these would safer to use than the B+Q power supply.

steve

@Robert, there is an Amstrad CPC Monitor (which also supplies power to the CPC464), on ebay now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230986006857?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
The auction ends today.

EDIT: If you miss this one, there is a cheaper one ending tomorrow.

steve

This CPC464 is on ebay, it is damaged but between the two you might be able to make one working machine.

Bryce

If you are really lucky, then something else such as the power switch was broken already, otherwise you've killed it by connecting the supply the wrong way around. Test the output of the supply to make sure the polarity is correct, trial and error isn't a good method to do this. When you are sure that the polarity is correct, re-connect it and then we can find out what's not working. 2.5A is more than enough to supply the 464.

Bryce.