News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
L

CPC - 4 Dollar MP3 Player over USART

Started by LambdaMikel, 06:24, 12 April 19

Previous topic - Next topic

LambdaMikel

Quote from: TotO on 21:27, 02 May 19
Hum...

Reducing the CPC to a remote control is a pity...  :-\

See, this is exacly why I don't like DMA either  :laugh:
Reducing the Z80 to a remote control for the sound chip is a pity as well  - every component should work as hard as it could, even if it exceeds its capabilities (just kidding...) ;)

TotO

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 21:35, 02 May 19
Yes, that's an impressive demo that uses 4Bit DMA... played on the emulator.
I don't have a real CPC Plus here, so I cannot try it. The uploader claims it sounds better on a real CPC Plus.
Yes, it is. (and display better too)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

kawickboy

Even the Prehistorik 2 DMA track was (and is still) quite impressive for 1992.

LambdaMikel

... let's add PCM channels a la Amdrum type of sample playing to a tracker for the non-DMA CPC also. If that's at all possible.

GUNHED

Using the Z80 as remote control? Maybe that's a bit harsh. Else CRTC, PIO, PSG, FDC must get out of the CPC ;-)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

LambdaMikel

Quote from: GUNHED on 15:59, 03 May 19
Using the Z80 as remote control? Maybe that's a bit harsh. Else CRTC, PIO, PSG, FDC must get out of the CPC ;-)
... and DMA! Damn DMA it makes the Z80 CPU lazy!!  ;D

GUNHED

http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

LambdaMikel

... and in principle I agree that MP3 playing over a module such that the MP3 data is not streamed from the CPC is lame, but the serial interface / UART of LS 3 is not lame. So the MP3 module is just one application. I hope that the SF3 will allow to stream the MP3 data from the CPC, or at least allow to upload from the CPC to the SDCard such that it can be played from there then.

For sample playing, for decent quality (and this depends on your notion of PCM quality - as I said, I am a snob in that regard and consider 4bit insufficent, given that I have a couple of high end synthesizers at home), there is no other choice IMHO as well.

Of course it is more impressive and nicer if everything could be done with the on board hardware of the CPC. But the point of hardware extensions is to go beyond what is possible with the CPC hardware alone, right?

In the same sense, the RTC is also lame... but it offers some functionality which elsewise would not be available. So that's the point of hardware extensions.  ;)

TotO

Quote from: GUNHED on 15:59, 03 May 19
I don't remember the CRTC, PIO, PSG, FDC to only have to acknolage "play", "stop", "prev track", "next track" commands to work.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

LambdaMikel

I don't think that discussion leads to anywhere besides annoying each other.
Maybe enough is enough and we can stop here.  :-\
I think we all understand each other's point of view. More is unnecessary.
I consider this thread closed.

TotO

Annoying?  :o

Nec engineers was not anoyed because the PCE was a remote for the Super CD-ROM.
What is important is how it is used (inside cartridge, game slots, audio boards, ...) And this topic if fine for that.

LambdaMikel

Yes but I would find it more constructive and more beneficial if somebody tried to connect the MP3 module to the usifac which could result in a cheap lame MP3 solution for all of CPCkind

TotO

Sure, it is always better to have the time to prototype... Hope to be able to do some test with the MiniBooster after the MegaSound.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: TotO on 20:51, 03 May 19
Sure, it is always better to have the time to prototype... Hope to be able to do some test with the MiniBooster after the MegaSound.

I think any working UART / serial should do. But USIfAC would still be considerably cheaper than MiniBooster, or?

In the end, we are all going to want that SymbiFACE 3 anyhow, so....

As I said, ideally this gets soldered into the next version of Dandantor Mini, this one seems to be the most feasible solution for game cartridge developers if they wanted to add MP3 music to their games. Wondering if @Dandare is thinking about this already.

TotO

A MiniBosster module on the SPI port cost few euros and can be used by 100+ peoples.
But sure, for a standalone expansion there is probably better to do!

SymbiFace 3 is just an other way to do it with many extra features for SymbOS users.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: TotO on 21:34, 03 May 19
A MiniBosster module on the SPI port cost few euros and can be used by 100+ peoples.
But sure, for a standalone expansion there is probably better to do!

SymbiFace 3 is just an other way to do it with many extra features for SymbOS users.

... most mini MP3 modules are UART / serial though... SPI MP3 is not so common, and the ones I saw are more expensive (> 20 $). Which one did you see? SPI != UART...

UPDATE: if I search on Amazon or Ebay for MP3 SPI, I dont get any matches.

TotO

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 21:37, 03 May 19... most mini MP3 modules are UART / serial though... SPI MP3 is not so common, and the ones I saw are more expensive (> 20 $). Which one did you see? SPI != UART...
OK! (I have not checked that)

LambdaMikel

Quote from: TotO on 21:43, 03 May 19
OK! (I have not checked that)

Right... so you will have to find a way to either use a MiniBooster SPI port as UART TX, or connect to the UART of MiniBooster, then you will have many many options for cheap MP3 boards.

TotO

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 21:44, 03 May 19
Right... so you will have to find a way to either use a MiniBooster SPI port as UART TX, or connect to the UART of MiniBooster, then you will have many many options for cheap MP3 boards.
The module can use SPI or UART. Well... It is not for tomorrow.  ;)

LambdaMikel

And this one mentions "SPI" in its name, but that only refers to the storage, not the MP3 player itself, which is again UART controlled:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MP3-Voice-Module-USB-Multi-Channel-Voice-Control-SPI-FLASH-Amplifier-for-Arduino/271915187358?hash=item3f4f687c9e:g:3sUAAOSwT6pVkCyj

LambdaMikel

Quote from: TotO on 21:48, 03 May 19
The module can use SPI or UART. Well... It is not for tomorrow.  ;)

Yes I know that... UART is better for cheap MP3 as explained.

Dandare

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 21:00, 03 May 19

I think any working UART / serial should do. But USIfAC would still be considerably cheaper than MiniBooster, or?

In the end, we are all going to want that SymbiFACE 3 anyhow, so....

As I said, ideally this gets soldered into the next version of Dandantor Mini, this one seems to be the most feasible solution for game cartridge developers if they wanted to add MP3 music to their games. Wondering if @Dandare is thinking about this already.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Ill check with game developers to get their input.

GUNHED

Quote from: TotO on 19:17, 03 May 19
I don't remember the CRTC, PIO, PSG, FDC to only have to acknolage "play", "stop", "prev track", "next track" commands to work.  :-\

Yes, they need even less service, they just do their job.  :)  It's the old discussion: Where you like to draw the line?  :)

EDIT: Ah, we're back on MP3 topic. Very well!  :)