News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 "Coupé"

Started by Arag0n, 09:57, 22 May 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Arag0n

If the cassette unit does not work and can not be repaired ... it can always be removed...
THIS IS MY CPC464 "COUPÉ" (the software can be loaded through the jack input)
I have other cpc464 in good condition, and I would not do with them what I did with this. As always, you can add an external floppy disk drive DDI-1, and TZXDuino (or WAV or MP3 player) for the jack.

10 print "Saludos !!!!"
20 goto 10
run

Bryce

Wouldn't it have been easier/better to repair the tapedeck? I don't know of common damage that would make the tapedeck irrepairable.

Bryce.

Arag0n

Quote from: Bryce on 10:22, 22 May 18
Wouldn't it have been easier/better to repair the tapedeck? I don't know of common damage that would make the tapedeck irrepairable.
In this case, it was not possible. The casing was broken as if it had been hit with a hammer. The tapedeck was not there, just the PCB circuit board. This CPC was rescued from a garbage container.
More than the elimination of the tapedeck, this work has been the recovery of a CPC that works again.
(I understand that many people do not accept this type of modifications. I agree with that, but there are times that I see it justified. I, who am continually looking for and acquiring new equipment for my collection, do not always get parts in good condition. Some are recoverable in some way and others are for repair or for parts. As I said, I would not think of doing something like that with a piece in good condition.)
10 print "Saludos !!!!"
20 goto 10
run

Bryce

Ah, ok. If the case was damaged anyway, then go for it. Care to describe exactly how that end piece is fitted? Is that just PVC tape? Do you intend making a more permanent solution?
Bryce.

Arag0n

Quote from: Bryce on 12:59, 22 May 18
Ah, ok. If the case was damaged anyway, then go for it. Care to describe exactly how that end piece is fitted? Is that just PVC tape? Do you intend making a more permanent solution?
The pieces are joined with glue, you can see in the first photo. The electrical tape is only for aesthetics, it is not necessary.
10 print "Saludos !!!!"
20 goto 10
run

Lazy Dude

I almost thought you had 3D printed the end cheek for the case. Looks tidy though

Chinnery

I am in the progress of doing the same with a 464 which I am assuming got punched around the tape area... perhaps one too many read error b?

In order to "glue" the two parts together, I used methyl ethyl keytone, a foul smelling solvent that's often referred to as MEK. just dabbing a bit of this around the edges of both parts of the case and pushing them together resulted in a really strong bond, especially considering the thickness of the plastic I had to work with.

I believe it works by melting the plastic chemically and when the solvent dries, leaves an almost as good as new join... just use in a ventilated area!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIoxWJ8lyyA

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 10:22, 22 May 18

Bryce.

Indeed. All the mechanical parts are easily available or can be scavenged from other CPC's that are 'breakers'. Restored a Spectrum +2 tape deck last year using brand new parts ordered from China thanks to tape decks still being manufactured.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube