News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 Compatible Printers

Started by spookspring, 18:57, 25 May 12

Previous topic - Next topic

spookspring

Hey guys. No luck with my French Amstrad DMP 2000 Dot Matrix Printer  So back to square one, hunt for a printer continues.

I was wondering, are we restricted to using the narrow range of Centronics 24 pin parallel port Amstrad printers and Star printers for use with the CPC 464? and those rare German types? Or could we use early Epson / IBM printers? (No I dont have resources to make an 8 bit adapter, ROM box or driver program) and I assume if we used a parallel to USB adapter there wouldnt be any output in a modern printer...

You see in the Amstrad manual it states that daisy wheel and ink jet printers can be used, provided the parallel interface adapter is fitted. So I'm wondering if the list of compatible printers in the CPCWiki incomplete? Cheers, James
The final frontier - trying to get online with a CPC - Complete!

steve

I used a mannesman tally mt80 and an epson mx85 printer with my CPC 464 in the '80s, these were 8 pin printers, and I think you needed a special driver loaded to use 24 pin printers.

ralferoo

I can't even remember what make of printer I had when I was younger, but it certainly wasn't an amstrad specific one.

Centronics was very standard back then. As far as the Amstrad is concerned, it was 7-bit (D7 wasn't connected) plus STROBE' and RDY'. I think the Centronics port also has paper out and other signals, but they could be left unconnected.

ralferoo

Oh, I think "most" printers by 1984 were "Epson compatible" and so most software expected to be able to output text as is, possibly double width and narrow variants via a control sequence and bitmapped also by a control sequence.

Bryce

I have an EPSON Colour Stylus 685 (inkjet) connected to my CPC. Works fine.

Bryce.

Chris Renz

Hi Bryce,

can you please tell me what kind of software (Name) do you use for printing and did you
modify your CPC for 8-Bit Centronics?

with kind regards,

Chris

ivarf

Have anyone tried a Laserjetprinter or similar, just sending clean text?

TFM

Well, since a long time I use very successfull a HP Deskjet 500 on my CPC6128. But every printer with Centronics parallel port can be used. For a brittish 464 you may need a special cable. The German CPCs have centronics connectors anyway.\

I wrote me a printer driver for Prowort/Protext so I can do pretty much everything with this printer :-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Audronic

Hi All

I was asked about how to make a Printer cable for a CPC464 ??
is it 34 way ribbon 1 to 1 ===> 34 or equivalent at the Centronics end.
are there any lifted lines.
He wants to use an old LX80 Epson dot matrix Printer ?

I have had a look on the Wiki but was unable to get a clear description.

Thanks Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

LambdaMikel

I just made one myself for my new NOS Centronics GLP (Brother M1009, Schneider NLQ401), and CPC 464.

For this, I just bought a standard male-male centronics ribbon printer cable, and cut off one centronics plug. Then I ordered 2 2-Packs of these. Indeed, I needed 3 attempts to get it right:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-34-Pin-Card-Edge-Female-IDC-Connector-for-Flat-Ribbon-Cable-FC-034C-2/270850810044?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here are pictures; notice the red line (PIN 1) is on the right on all pictures, and 2 wires / cables on the left are not connected (you can see them "standing up and peeking out" on the second picture on the left):

Audronic

@LambdaMikel

Ok Thanks for the Photos.

So Pin 1 on the edge connector to Pin 1 on the Centronics, NO wires cut.

? When the cable is connected and the power is on the Printer and you power up the CPC does your printer pickup ? ? (a bit like a reset).

Thanks.   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

LambdaMikel

Yes, 2 wires from the original centronics cable not connected. On the left. No wires cut. Notice the edge connector is 34 PIN, Centronics is 36 Pin. Just follow the pictures.
It works.