News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 Tape drive problem

Started by CraigsBar, 11:02, 06 October 18

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Morning all,

So I now have a tall key CPC 464 in great condition, and after some basic maintenance cleaning, removing dust and dead flies from the inside etc I also replaced the 2 stretched tape drivebelts, the tape counter now works perfectly so that si a partial success.

However the tape drive is still not working. The motor and spools work and turn evenly so the new belt is doing it's job, however the tape spools do not turn at a consist and speed, resulting in loading errors.

the heads, capstan and pinch roller are all in good condition, clean and working well. and thoughts on what mat be causing the motor assembly to be working but the drive not be transferred to the tape itself in a smooth fashion?

Or does anyone offer a Tape Deck servicing service? I do not want to dismantle the drive as I know I will not get it back together again. worse case scenario, has anyone got a working tape drive for sale?

Thanks

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

LambdaMikel

If it is not the power supply and everything else is fine (tape belt?), mechanically, then I guess it is the motor.
You could try to take the motor from this one:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/freebie-the-tape-drive-from-hell/?PHPSESSID=ucjdiah8pdvv4l6bthsm3bp9j4
Never exchanged the motor before though, not sure how difficult it is.

LambdaMikel

Meant to edit, but posted a new one. deleted...

chinnyhill10

I had a +2 which had a bad motor which exhibited the problems you describe. Tape motors seem to be a standard part, I had one sent from Hong Kong for a couple of quid and it slotted straight in and just had to solder the two connections.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

I am 100% sure it is not the motor guys, Like I say when the spools stop the motor, Drive belt arrangement etc on the bottom of the frive are still turning at normal speed.
If you look on the under side of the drives there is a flywheel and a gear that you can see in a stacked arrangement under the spools. the flywheel is turning but the gear is not when the spools stop.

I guess something in the very middle of the drive if faulty. but not knowing didly squat about these things I am not gonna risk taking it to bits

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode