News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 upgraded to 6128

Started by Piotr, 14:47, 23 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Piotr

Hello everybody.
Some of my weekend fight with ram upgrade for my Amstrad 464.
464 board , added internial 64 kb ram, CPC 6128 compatibile.
]

I order fev PCB for ram controler,
]

And now i watching demos ;)

phortem demo on my modded Amstrad 464

TotO

Nice that you hack board work with my 6128 PAL dump.
Your picture show a 3D model of the expected product. When will it be released, and the extected price?

Thanks.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Piotr

Well to be honest in this controller is orginal HAL from my faulty 6128 board. I looking for this HAL  dump but without results? Do you do this? Board is small, so is 2 way to do it, under 5 i order it in prototype factory in Poland, over 20 i can order in China, cheaper,faster  and better quality.

TotO

I have asked for my 6128 PAL dump some months ago, because nobody done that. And since, I know that few peoples got it.

I'm actually working on a all-in-one 512K RAM/ROM expansion that work fine since 2 months on 6128.
As you know, it's not possible to handle C3 w/o cutting the CPC tracks.
The DK'Tronics way is to force /MREQ and the A15 line, but I got some problems with this mode on 464/664...
Sincerely, I don't like hacks. It's why I hope to find a solution in few weeks.

But sure, if peoples are not worried about hacking 464/664 ... They can put this sort of expansion to definitively solve the problem.
If you want to do that with the goal to serve the CPC community and not making money on them, I can give you the HAL equations.

Cheers,

TotO.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Piotr

Well i think made  instruction how do it and release it for free including board schematic ,design gerber files etc. It is for my own fun not for make money. If it help somebody is enough for me.

TotO

So, it's great. :)

I'm contacting you with PM.

Munchausen

Quote from: TotO on 15:28, 23 March 14
If you want to do that with the goal to serve the CPC community and not making money on them, I can give you the HAL equations.

...or you could just download it from Porchy's website!?

(but I do agree it would be cool to have this upgrade board available for the community - nicely done Piotr :D )

PLD Archive | JAMMArcade.net

TotO

I have asked to jammaboard about dumping the CPC HAL/PAL because their hardware allow to copy protected IC with a protection fault.
It's why Porchy was registered here, after doing the job.

But, I don't remember that its was released.  ;D

gerald

TotO

Piotr

Version mounted in CPU socket, less wires and changes in orginal board,easier to fit.

]

TotO

Probably less wires hack on the GateArray socked. (only IOWR and RAMDIS should miss)

Munchausen

That would be the neatest way, but a shame there are two different gate array versions so you'd need two versions of the board :(

Could maybe be done with some jumpers to swap signals?

TotO

I take a look about the common pins.

Piotr

What about overheating? Is big radiator on GA ?

TotO

It look the firsts 464 with 40007 GA version got one, yes...  :-X

Munchausen

Quote from: Piotr on 22:20, 23 March 14
What about overheating? Is big radiator on GA ?

That should still fit with the socket on the expansion board though? Or is there not enough space between the board and the keyboard?

EDIT: Ah, but I see the current design has the chips under the CPU, so I guess they would be in the way unless you raised the socket with some SIL connectors. IDK  ???

Piotr

PCB height is approx 10mm so i think so.

radu14m

nice project !
why not do a 256kb or even 512kb expansion directly ?
The version mounten in the CPU socket is amazing :)

TotO

If peoples are now OK to cut tracks and solder wires into their lovely 464, then it's very easy to make it a "6128" with embedded 512K ROM + 512K RAM.
(and I waste my time for making a compatible RAM/ROM memory expansion since 2 months)

Munchausen

Quote from: TotO on 08:33, 24 March 14
If peoples are now OK to cut tracks and solder wires into their lovely 464, then it's very easy to make it a "6128" with embedded 512K ROM + 512K RAM.
(and I waste my time for making a compatible RAM/ROM memory expansion since 2 months)

I think making a compatible expansion is still a really good idea. If it is possible?

TotO

The DK'Tronics does, so the way for doing it exist.
X-MEM approaching! - Cent Pour Cent

The C3 mode still buggy, so I need some weeks to finish it. (thanks gerald for your support)
But 464/664 can already detect and use 512K RAM + 512K ROM + LOWER boot and run CPC 6128 programs (BASIC 1.1 too), w/o hack.
Only CP/M Plus, Pacman Emu and Phortem not work actually...

Now, if peoples agree to hack their 464 it's more easy to use existing 6128 memory expansions.  ;D

radu14m

Can't wait to see it available !
You have a price estimation ?

Piotr

TotO, , i be very happy to buy externial ram upgrade, floppy interface , symbiface, covox, but where?? Nobody made and sell this.  So i do my own design, for  myself and i share it for people . I don't care about profit . I do it for my own fun, if somebody else use my design is great.

TotO

No worry, all your projects are greats. :)
I just point that I find strange that peoples are now OK to hack their CPC while I was asked to support the 464/664 with my incoming X-MEM.

You will be able to buy it here is some weeks: CPC Store (new) - Cent Pour Cent