News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128: Best way to get ParaDOS ROM?

Started by woody.cool, 19:43, 23 July 12

Previous topic - Next topic

woody.cool

Hi all,

I've got a CPC 6128 and recently modded an old busted Cumana Amiga 3.5" external floppy drive to work on it.
Anyway, I'm interested in getting ParaDOS as I'd love to use 720kb rather than 2x 180kb.

I have a few questions:

• is it easy (ish) to replace the AMSDOS ROM with ParaDOS?
  • is there any compatibility problems caused by replacing AMSDOS with ParaDOS?
  • to retain compatibility, would it be better to keep AMSDOS and get a ROM board & stick ParaDOS in that?
  • if it's better to get a ROM board, which is the best one to get & where can I get one?
  • is ParaDOS the best way to go or should I consider an alternative?
Sorry if some of these sound like noob questions, but although I'm a CPC veteran, I've been using 3" discs and cassette tapes on my CPCs since 1986 LOL ;D

Thanks all
woody.cool

TotO

Parados need to be used as ROM7 for the best compatibility.
So, you have to replace the AMSDOS ROM by it, inside the CPC because it can't be disabled by an external ROM. (w/o inside hack)
Finally, it's more clean and don't need external board by doing like that.

If I understand well, Parados take the Logo3 space on the AMSOFT ROM... So you can't use this program with CP/M.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

woody.cool

Is Logo the only program that doesn't work with ParaDOS?

TFM

Some games have problems with parados too.

You could think about getting a MegaFlash (from Bryce), it provides space for 32 ROMs of 16 KB each on a Flash Chip. With that you can install different DOS like Parados or X-DDOS, or others.
Look in the wiki for MegaFlash

Then you also have space for a lot of different other ROM software.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

woody.cool

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:16, 23 July 12
You could think about getting a MegaFlash (from Bryce)
Are they pricey? and how easy is it to get one? (is Bryce still manufacturing these?)

Terje_Norway

Hi,

Let me try to give some replies to Your questions. Some of them have already been answered while I wrote this post.

1.) Replacing AMSDOS with PARADOS can be done, but on the majority of CPC6128 machines it was soldered directly to the mainboard. If You know how to do it, it can be done. I would NOT recommend it, as it in worst case could ruin You CPC.
2.) PARADOS is a direct replacement for AMSDOS. The extra features in PARADOS uses the space that was used for LOGO3 under CP/M. So the most significant case of incompatibility is LOGO3 under CP/M plus. Parts of THAT program was stored in the AMSDOS rom. Why, don't ask me ! !
3.) Personally I would recommend going for that solution. On a romboard, I think the best position would be ROM6
4.) You are about 20 years to late for having a wide rand of romboards to choose from. The only one available (I think) is the MegaFlash made by Bryce last Year. You can find him on this forum. The price was about 90 EURO when it was announced a Year ago.
You could also try on Ebay, but I don't think You'll have much luck there. The last romboard sold for over 100 GBP, if I remembers correctly.
5.) PARADOS is the one and only to look for ! ! If Your after other alternatives, You could have a look at S/DOS, ROMDOS, ROMDOS XL, VDOS, but I wouldn't bother.

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

IanS

It should be possible to solder a socket on top of the existing rom. All pins, except the CE, wire that to a two way switch so you can select the original rom or the rom in the top socket.

I've not tried it, but it should be possible, assuming there is space inside the case.

Combine it with the mod in the recent parados thread, you could put a 64K eprom in the top socket to get a 4 rom romboard built in (dos would have to be one of the 4).

Edit: Actually, that looks quite hard, as the two roms are very close together, would be tricky to solder one side.

TFM

Well, there is a 32KB EPROM mod in the DIY section of the wiki, so you get two DOS switchable. See here:
DualOS - CPCWiki - The Ultimate Amstrad CPC Community & Encyclopedia!

About the MegaFlash... Look here:
MegaFlash Released!

And ask there about availability. :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

endangermice

I replaced the Amsdos rom internally on my 6128 (removed Amsdos soldered in chip socket, fitted Parados) but it's not easy to do unless you're experienced with soldering. When removing larger chips like these, it's easy to accidentally lift tracks on the board by mistake. All repairable but very annoying when it happens and potentially complicating the procedure.

If you do have the skills, replacing the chip on the board is definitely the ultimate setup!
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk

TFM

Quote from: endangermice on 22:07, 23 July 12
If you do have the skills, replacing the chip on the board is definitely the ultimate setup!

As alternative, you can cut all the legs of the AMSDOS IC and then solder an IC socket on it. Now you can plug in every DOS you like. In one of my CPCs I did that and so I can switch between AmsDOS and X-DDOS.
TFM of FutureSoft

woody.cool

I'm not really all that good with a soldering iron, so all this seems a bit of a daunting prospect. Maybe a MegaFlash would be the best bet (or find somebody with better soldering skills than me)

Bryce

Hi woody,
      unless you are pretty fit in soldering, I wouldn't recommend the internal solution, but maybe you can find someone near by, who has the soldering skills and can follow the DualOS instructions from the Wiki. If not, you could post the main PCB to someone here, who can do the conversion for you.
The alternative external solution (MegaFlash) is also a possibility, and yes, I still have some left, send me a PM if you want one.

Bryce.

endangermice

Woody are you located in the UK? If you are, it might be well worth asking Ian Gledhill (user name Spirantho) who is based in Wales. He runs the excellent Mutant Caterpillar Games Blog which tells many fine stories of the adventures he has fixing retro computers. He has recently started a repair service for Amstrads and I'm sure he could handle your Parados installation!
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk

woody.cool

Yeah, I'm based in the UK .... live in Northampton.

OCT

Gryzor

Totally off-topuc, but: Cumana! Ooh, like an old person's Plextor! :D