News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 keyboard needed

Started by retrohero, 14:05, 07 August 14

Previous topic - Next topic

retrohero

Hi,

I need a keyboard for CPC 6128, anyone know if I can find either a keyboard or a complete machine, eventually faulty that is not to expensive?

Thanks
Peter

CraigsBar

Quote from: retrohero on 14:05, 07 August 14
Hi,

I need a keyboard for CPC 6128, anyone know if I can find either a keyboard or a complete machine, eventually faulty that is not to expensive?

Thanks
Peter
I *think* I have one spare, but I am away from home this week. I can check on Sunday night when I get back. Unless someone else comes up first. Not sure where you are but postage from Ireland should not be too much.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

retrohero

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:02, 07 August 14
I *think* I have one spare, but I am away from home this week. I can check on Sunday night when I get back. Unless someone else comes up first. Not sure where you are but postage from Ireland should not be too much.

Craig
Hi Graig,
Would be fantastic... I am in denmark, but even if the postage is a bit high, I am very interested if we can do a good deal....
Best
Peter

CraigsBar

Quote from: retrohero on 18:01, 07 August 14
Hi Graig,
Would be fantastic... I am in denmark, but even if the postage is a bit high, I am very interested if we can do a good deal....
Best
Peter
no worries, will check when I get home at the weekend.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 18:14, 07 August 14
no worries, will check when I get home at the weekend.

Bad news I'm afraid, I can find the faulty cpc 6128 board, but no trace of the chassis or keyboard/drive etc. in fact it looks strongly like I no longer have anything useful of this machine. I'll look further but if I come across anthing useful I'll let you know.

Craig

retrohero

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:00, 10 August 14

Bad news I'm afraid, I can find the faulty cpc 6128 board, but no trace of the chassis or keyboard/drive etc. in fact it looks strongly like I no longer have anything useful of this machine. I'll look further but if I come across anthing useful I'll let you know.

Craig
OK, thanks a lot for checking Craig... What a shame, I hope to find a keyboard somewhere else. Please if anyone else see this can help, let me know.
Peter

steve

Do you actually need the whole keyboard or will a new membrane fix the problem?

retrohero

Quote from: steve on 02:55, 12 August 14
Do you actually need the whole keyboard or will a new membrane fix the problem?
Hi Steve,
What I concretely need is the keys.... think they have been hit by heating, so they don't work anymore.... I need all the keyboard keys to the right of 9-I-K-M... It looks like the membran is ok.
Peter

Bryce

Are you sure they are not just full of gunk and dirt? As they are made of pretty robust plastic you would need a pretty high temperature to damage them. I suspect they are either made of:

PolyPropylene = you'd need at least 130°C
or
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene = at least 105°C[nb]Yes, I know it's amorphous so it doesn't really have a defined melting point, but 105°C is where things would start to go wrong with the structure[/nb]

Not exactly temperatures you'd get without using an oven.

Bryce.

retrohero

Quote from: Bryce on 10:31, 12 August 14
Are you sure they are not just full of gunk and dirt? As they are made of pretty robust plastic you would need a pretty high temperature to damage them. I suspect they are either made of:

PolyPropylene = you'd need at least 130°C
or
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene = at least 105°C[nb]Yes, I know it's amorphous so it doesn't really have a defined melting point, but 105°C is where things would start to go wrong with the structure[/nb]

Not exactly temperatures you'd get without using an oven.

Bryce.
Thansk Bryce, but yes, I think so, some of them are looking a bit like it.... and they are sitting very tight in the keybord so they can't move "up// down". I suspect maybe the former owner have used a heating steam of some kind as a few of the keys have stickers with Danish characters partly removed. This has maybe melted them a bit...
Peter

Bryce

Hmmm, that's a pain. I only just spotted this thread, so I'll also take a look tonight and see if I have a 6128 Keyboard in my spare parts department[nb]Cardboard box under the desk[/nb]. I definitely have a CPC+ keyboard, but that's not much use to you and it's a french layout too.

Bryce.

retrohero

Quote from: Bryce on 11:41, 12 August 14
Hmmm, that's a pain. I only just spotted this thread, so I'll also take a look tonight and see if I have a 6128 Keyboard in my spare parts department[nb]Cardboard box under the desk[/nb]. I definitely have a CPC+ keyboard, but that's not much use to you and it's a french layout too.

Bryce.
Thanks a lot, and yes super annoying as the machine seems to work perfectly after I changed the drive belt....
Peter

Munchausen

One thought is that the keys from the PCW might fit if you can get a PCW keyboard. They are exactly the same size, though perhaps a little more yellow in colour.

Bryce

Hi, I just took a look and unfortunately I have no 6128 keyboards left, just a French CPC+ keyboard (and some Atari and Commodore keyboards).

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 19:39, 13 August 14
Hi, I just took a look and unfortunately I have no 6128 keyboards left, just a French CPC+ keyboard (and some Atari and Commodore keyboards).

Bryce.
It looks like you might be better getting a new 6128 rather than looking for a keyboard.

the remaining 6128's here are owned by careful people now.

Craig

retrohero

thanks a lot for trying to help, very appreciated.... I will keep looking at EBay and hopefully I find another 6128 :-)

I am excited by the kindness from everyone here.... Thanks ;-)

peter