News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 performance improvements?

Started by Neil79, 14:18, 11 July 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil79

As I mentioned some time ago I noted some small slow downs in certain games that i believe could be improved upon by a speedy upgrade. R-Type for example is super smooth until you blow up, then it lags a little. Same in Dizzy, note how certain rooms feel slower than others.

Are there any performance upgrades, like accelerators?
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

steve

The Wiki has a page on running the Z80 at 6Mhz, it messes up the timing of other parts of the system, but it might be useful in some cases.

Neil79

Quote from: steve on 14:40, 11 July 14
The Wiki has a page on running the Z80 at 6Mhz, it messes up the timing of other parts of the system, but it might be useful in some cases.

Ah so I see, doesn't look something I'll be touching. Shame
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

CraigsBar

Quote from: Neil79 on 14:18, 11 July 14
As I mentioned some time ago I noted some small slow downs in certain games that i believe could be improved upon by a speedy upgrade. R-Type for example is super smooth until you blow up, then it lags a little. Same in Dizzy, note how certain rooms feel slower than others.

Are there any performance upgrades, like accelerators?
as seems to have been mentioned before..... Not without specific hardware and the games being rewritten from the ground up to use it.

Short answer...... No.
Not so short answer....... Use an emulator but one that keys you run at 125% real speed.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Axelay

Quote from: Neil79 on 14:18, 11 July 14
R-Type for example is super smooth until you blow up, then it lags a little.

My memory could be playing tricks on me, but I'm pretty sure that's meant to happen, as I think it did in the arcade for effect.

TotO

Exactly. It's coded for matching with the arcade effect.  8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Neil79

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh  :-\

TotO

Yes.  :-\
And you can't imagine all those things that was coded by fano to match the arcade version...
... and that you will never see!  :-X
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)