News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 Power Supply

Started by belzebu, 10:34, 24 February 14

Previous topic - Next topic

belzebu

Dear all,

Finaly i have found a buy an Amstrad CPC 6128, with green palette monitor, the 6128 was shipped, I hope not to be cheated... Pray for me... :)
I want use for this a color tv monitor, and i have found this cable on ebay:
Schneider CPC 464 / 6128 SCART TV Kabel 2,0 Meter | eBay
And i want use an external power supply, i have read the spec. for cpc 6128 on cpc wiki, but, could someone recommend a external power supply ?
I have search for similar thread on the forum but i hve not found anything...

Thanks

Belzy

IanS

You can use a Spectrum +3 supply - Powering a CPC 6128 from a Sinclar Spectrum +3 PSU - CPCWiki

Almost any supply that can supply a couple of amps on +5 & +12 rail should be fine. You can pick up some horrible cheap and nasty "disk drive" power supplies on sites like ebay.

Are you looking for a pre-built solution, or ar you happy to do a bit of soldering connectors?

Note that polarity of the power connectors on CPC machines is different between 5V (centre positive) & 12V (centre gnd), be careful.

ralferoo

There's another guy on ebay who sells all the cables you need as one package - so 2 PSUs and a SCART lead. I *think* it's this guy items in Retro-Computer-Shack store on eBay! but it says he's on holiday until tomorrow and has no items listed...

chinnyhill10

I have a dislike of cheap PSU's (check out some of the tear downs on Youtube of cheap adaptors) so I got my 5 volt supply from RS. It has enough welly for the CPC + my HxC adaptor as well. I don't use the 12v supply as I have the HxC.

One thing I did notice was that the hard disk enclosures I buy for work come with PSU's which have 5 volt and 12 volt supplies on them that in theory would be quite suitable for the CPC with some rewiring,

You could butcher up a Speccy PSU but they aren't exactly new. Having just been inside a Speccy 48k supply today and seen the state it was in, I'm not sure I'm keen on risking my kit on old PSU's if I can help it, especially if there is a modern alternative that may be just as easy.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

You can use any PC power supply for CPC, it provides 5 V and 12 V. Cheap and reliable.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

belzebu

tnx for all suggestions, i have found a cable kit: video, computer and drive power supply on ebay, it's all in my basket, i m waiting for the 6128 for buy this.
I want post a photo of my "new" little kid asap :D :D

belzebu

I have found this kit on ebay: Amstrad CPC 6128 TV Connection Kit PSU Adapters Scart Cable | eBay
but the seller don't ship out of UK, i have write to him, waiting for reply :)
Tnx to all