News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Bus Extension

Started by rpalmer, 04:15, 06 August 17

Previous topic - Next topic

rpalmer

Hello People,

I have had no luck getting my internal disk drive working (suspect the Disk Controller is the issue, reads directory but wont do much else... really annoying me).

To that end I have been thinking outside the box (so to speak) and decided to create an bus extension board as first step to overcoming this issue.
The bus extension board is very simple and has same connectors as used by Mx4, but of course nothing else (no reset or power port for external power supply). The CPC users should be able use the board in much the same way the MX4 is used. The exception here is of course is with those boards which may need additional power. The power issue is also being catered with development of a small PCB to have such and a reset button to sit between the bus extension board the CPC connection (more on this later in this thread).

People might say why not put it all onto the one board, well this is to make the build as simple possible with minimal component types (there are just 2 see attached photo of it) and to not simply be another Mx4.

The PCB is single sided and the Eagle file is attached for those who would like to build their own. I have one spare empty PCB made by PCB Pool (aka Beta Layout).

As mentioned above this is the first step. There are two other boards in the build process (a SPI interface and the updated 2Mb memory expansion). The SPI interface will have its own thread shortly and the 2Mb memory thread will also be updated as well.

rpalmer

zhulien

nice!  will it connect to CPC with small ribbon?  I am guessing from the connectors on it, they can be chained?

What's the prices of these? Also will you have adapters for behind as well to connect other CPC stuff?

As a side note... what would be the cost if you could create a bex8 also, instead of 4 in a row, is 4 side by side alternating slightly?

eg:

HH
----
     ----
----
     ----
----
     ----
----
     ----
   HH
CPCGOES HERE

Of course pure side by side means the bex would have to be super wide so the cards don't bump into eachother, but if they are kind of staggered, you only need to make the bex a little deeper, but also not so wide. 

My current solution is to have the 2nd mx4 connected to the first, but the 2nd is connected with a very long ribbon that can neatly fold to make the 2nd mx4 90 degrees to the right.  As it is still behind the first mx4, it still is very deep into the desk.

Perhaps 2 bex4's behind eachother could work if the first is using a long ribbon to put both connected units to the side of the CPC?

What's your thoughts?

rpalmer

The board is connected with the same cable as used with the MX4. For me I have created an adapter to connect to back of the CPC so that a simple ribbon cable with IDC connector on each can be used.

I could easily make it a 6 slot version and even an 8 slot version, but the more slots the more power is used by all cards inserted which my be a problem.

Other options for the Bx4 are on the cards. so any other suggestion are welcome such as a right angle adapter so another Bx4 board can be connected.

As for prices I have yet to work out those details yet.

rpalmer

rpalmer

Hello People,

I have more BEx4 PCBs available to now build up to:

a. 4 Right Angle adapters - New
b. 4 BEx4 Adapters
c. 20 connector cards (these connect the adapters together) - New

As you can see from the pictures below you can use multiple cards get more sockets to connect more cards  8) .

The right angle adapter will have a power socket and reset button. The attached picture shows they are not there yet as I don't have those bits to complete the build.

I can take pre-orders via PM and will finalise the costs in the coming days. If there are more than what I can build right now I will order another batch of PCBs (these take about 2 weeks).
If people want it as a kit to build (or just the PCB), I can supply that as well.

rpalmer

LambdaMikel

Nice! Have you tried which expansions are still working half a meter aways from the CPC?  ;)

||C|-|E||

Definitely interested on this!  :) The right angle adapter is going to be really useful in my case, hehe

zhulien

Quote from: rpalmer on 01:18, 16 September 17
Hello People,

I have more BEx4 PCBs available to now build up to:

a. 4 Right Angle adapters - New
b. 4 BEx4 Adapters
c. 20 connector cards (these connect the adapters together) - New

As you can see from the pictures below you can use multiple cards get more sockets to connect more cards  8) .

The right angle adapter will have a power socket and reset button. The attached picture shows they are not there yet as I don't have those bits to complete the build.

I can take pre-orders via PM and will finalise the costs in the coming days. If there are more than what I can build right now I will order another batch of PCBs (these take about 2 weeks).
If people want it as a kit to build (or just the PCB), I can supply that as well.

rpalmer

What is the purpose of the part directly plugged into the CPC between the CPC and rightangle connector?

Did you work out the price for the right angle connectors yet?

rpalmer

Quote from: zhulien on 15:19, 10 September 21What is the purpose of the part directly plugged into the CPC between the CPC and rightangle connector?

The right angle adapter has been revised.
The connector to the CPC is to convert the edge style connection to a pin header.
The cable is to connect between the CPC and the adapter.

There are now 6 types of boards:

The edge connector version (CPC to Pin Header and vise versa)
A new MX style board with 5 IDC sockets for MX style boards (1 for the Left and 1 for the Right)
A central board which connects the above together.

The cost of the boards by me via PCBWay/JLCPCB is $5 for 5, for to package a set for people to build themselves it would be about $20 AUS (I will cover the postage for the first 10 people).

rpalmer

Philippe Lardenois

good project.
Gerbers for different versions are available ? would be great for those who want to built their own.

Thanks anyway.
Phil

rpalmer

Philippe Lardenois, I can put the gerbers up here, but lately I cannot seem to reliability post attachments.
rpalmer