News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

M4 Upgrade problem

Started by loftcat, 22:07, 12 February 24

Previous topic - Next topic

loftcat

I've run into a bit of a problem with the Duke's excellent M4 board. After an upgrade today (2.03 to 2.07) my CPC is refusing to power on to the Ready prompt with the board in :doh: . There's power to the board (blue light stays on + disk light comes on a couple of seconds). The CPC starts fine without the board in, or with the M4 reset button held down when I turn the CPC on (until I release the M4 reset button). I've tried reformatting the SD card - when I power my CPC with the clean card in it still fails to start up, but the disk drive light does flash for a second or two. But if I pop the card into my laptop I can see it has successfully generated a new M4 directory containing

romconfig.bin
romslots.bin

It has also recreated a new report.log file which looks to me like the upgrade was at least partially successful:

M4 Firmware version 2.0.7

ESP firmware v2.0.7 found.

ESP flash: 0x00EF4017

ESP CRC match: 0x366BCBEF

Programming...

ESP programming success

Is there a way I can check if it's a physical edge connector type issue, or something up with the M4? I'm not sure if this should work, but I've tried dropping a config.txt file with a fixed IP on the card then powering the M4 through the USB connection while unplugged to my CPC to see if I can get to the web interface, but to no avail :-[

It feels like the board is alive but I'm missing something... any ideas will be gratefully received as I'm quite sad without my M4!

robcfg

Try flashing the previous version of the firmware you had (2.03).

I had the same happening with the introduction of the debug menu, but it seems that my card, and maybe yours too, thinks you're continuously trying to enter that mode.

Flashing back the previous working firmware did it for me.

loftcat

Thanks robcfg... I'll give that a try.

loftcat

robcfg .. big relief - that worked!
Shame I can't move up to the lastest firmware for now but I'm much happier having it working back on 2.03 :)