News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Laptop.

Started by Bryce, 12:20, 25 October 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Unfortunately (mainly due to work). I won't be going to Revision 2015 :( Nor will I have the laptop finished by then.

Bryce.

HAL6128

...inspired by Bryces "CPC Laptop" approach, I was working on mine. Ok, ok, this statement is such thing exorbitant!! :P

It's only a LCD panel attached to the CPC.

I'm not an electrical engineer, so I have to work with available stuff: A LCD Panel with driver board and 1360x768 Resolution, a GBS 8200 CGA to VGA converter and a new PSU with 5V/12V in one unit.
Here are some negative aspects of the project: It's a very, very simple assembly, its ugly painted. The attachment to the CPC is a big failure: I can rotate the LCD but it's vibrating, because the whole Panel with boards inside and frame are very heavy. The next disadvantage is, that the GBS converter produces a lot of heat. Therefore the topside of the PCB with the heat sink looks out of the back (and that's really ugly, and I didn't want to show), otherwise it produces signal failures after a certain time (maybe active cooling could help). And, of course... the GBS is not able to convert the right signal of every game, especially those which works with "hard effects" (e.g. scrolling of Edger Grinder, Ghost'n Goblins etc.)

...But it works! I'm satisfied. The GBS converter can do the 1360x768 Resolution of the LCD. The Picture is pretty clear, even in Mode 2, almost like the CTM Monitor. It's a neat laptop for programing and working in a quick way, and with the MiniBooster attached I can transfer quick data from PC to CPC. :D
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

TFM

Nice work! I would love to do the same one day, but with a bigger monitor.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Despite all your "dissatisfactions" I think it looks rather good.

Bryce.

HAL6128

Thank you, Bryce.

But it was a pain in the ass. It started with the frame which is out of a simple and cutted aluminium L-profile. I had to work very precise to get the frame good. And the paint doesn't adhere very well. And then the back with a it's cuttings and holes and wiring inside. Always a try and error.
I wish I had better experiences or toolings for a professional work like e.g. yours or Tot0s!

Oh, and here's my next finished project. A "small" Joystick for my CPC. It's "80ties style". The reason for having two Buttons left and right is that I can change my hands if it's necessary. I'm right handed! E.g. playing "R-Type" or "Edge Grinder" I need a very fast firing and a steering with my left. In contradiction for a precise working (e.g. Zap'T'Balls) and less firing or Action on a button I shift the Hands and press the buttons with my left and steer with the right.

See you!
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Bryce

Aluminium is probably one of the easier metals to work with, but I still prefer to stick with plastic when possible. Metal is just too much work if you don't have "heavy tools".

Bryce.

TFM

@HAL 6128 : You need an auto-fire button.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Lazy Dude

Quote from: Bryce on 20:13, 07 April 15
Aluminium is probably one of the easier metals to work with, but I still prefer to stick with plastic when possible. Metal is just too much work if you don't have "heavy tools".

Bryce.

outsource it to the local blacksmiths, I did!

Gryzor

Any progress? Not at the MiST's expense, mind you, just wondering :D

Bryce

No, I put it on ice to get my backlog of repairs finished and I want to get your MiST finished first before continue on it.

Bryce.

Ygdrazil

My German might be a bit rusty but MIST = CRAP  :) ?

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Bryce on 20:24, 24 May 15
No, I put it on ice to get my backlog of repairs finished and I want to get your MiST finished first before continue on it.

Bryce.

Bryce

Yes, an unfortunate choice of name. But I didn't name it, I've nothing to do with the project.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 21:05, 24 May 15
I've nothing to do with the project.

...except for making it better :)

But yes, how unfortunate for the German-speaking users...

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:53, 25 May 15

...except for making it better :)

But yes, how unfortunate for the German-speaking users...

That stupid guys from commodore did far worse. First they called it Vixen (means fucking or "shooting drugs"), then they called it VIC (means fuck). Yes, commodore didn't do that well in naming.....  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

Singaja

Wouldn't Piotr's JustCPC board be useful for such kind of project?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Singaja on 13:23, 15 September 15
Wouldn't Piotr's JustCPC board be useful for such kind of project?
Bryce is building a 6128plus laptop, not a CPC 6128.

;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Singaja

This is an important project scope difference indeed ;-) Anyway the VGA output + PS/2 keyboard (not to mention a quite compact working board) seems like a reasonable start for a "poor's man cpc6128 laptop diy project"  ;D

Bryce

Yes, it will be a plus. CPC boards isn't what I'm lacking, it's free time that's holding up this project!

I have a BBC / Acorn and a PC project to finish first, then I'll get back to this one.

Bryce.

Edit: I have already added S-Video out, but only for testing. As the laptop has it's own screen, it's rather pointless. And again, it's a laptop, so it has it's own (non-PS/2) keyboard, so that wouldn't help either.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Singaja on 13:38, 15 September 15
This is an important project scope difference indeed ;-) Anyway the VGA output + PS/2 keyboard (not to mention a quite compact working board) seems like a reasonable start for a "poor's man cpc6128 laptop diy project"  ;D

The Just CPC Is scart output not VGA.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Lazy Dude

Quote from: Bryce on 13:38, 15 September 15
Yes, it will be a plus. CPC boards isn't what I'm lacking, it's free time that's holding up this project!

I have a BBC / Acorn and a PC project to finish first, then I'll get back to this one.

Bryce.

Edit: I have already added S-Video out, but only for testing. As the laptop has it's own screen, it's rather pointless. And again, it's a laptop, so it has it's own (non-PS/2) keyboard, so that wouldn't help either.

You got to have the video out so you can plug it in to a huge telly. 8 bit looks great on a 50" screen.
Back of the build queue for the Amstrad lappie, and I bet its because we are waiting for those nice tin badges @Gryzor  is looking into!!

zhulien

How about keeping the 6128plus shell and make it a little larger to fit a nice 17inch TV on top closable... then it will be about the same size as an alienware or Asus rog.. and no need to forgo the nice CPC keyboard.

Bryce

If I had the time to do anything at all with this project I'd be pleased. As it stands, the project and all parts have been sitting in a box for over a year! :(

Bryce.

tjohnson

Hey Bryce, did you ever finish this project or is it still languishing in to be finished at a later date status?

Bryce

Sadly I never continued with this, however, it has made it back out of the box it was stored in and it's back on my To Do list.

Bryce.

Gryzor

No time like Easter time? :D