News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Plus cartridge replacement : one more

Started by gerald, 16:39, 01 November 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you interested in buying a 3D-printed case for the cartridge? Hoe many units? (only vote if you want one or more!)

178 (85.2%)
25 (12%)
2 (1%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
more
4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 209

chilli_taff

Might as well make my first post an important one

+1 for me in too :)

yurif74

Quote from: gerald on 19:41, 01 November 14
Well, I need to sort the "when" first.
My biggest issue is manufacturing.
Soldering 0.5mm pitch IC is ok for few pieces, not for a production.

could you sell it as a kit? You include pcb, programmed ic and all components required. So experienced user can have fun too assembling it
;D

gerald

Quote from: yurif74 on 08:36, 25 December 14
could you sell it as a kit? You include pcb, programmed ic and all components required. So experienced user can have fun too assembling it
;D
I am not sure I will save time making kits:
The most consuming time task is getting the component out of reel and placing them ;) .
Also programming the components without soldering them requires sockets I do no have.

And then I would like to see your soldering license  ;D

TFM

Quote from: dcdrac on 10:14, 24 December 14
very intereested especailly if it has symbos and future os on it

Thanks!  :)  FutureOS actually uses some Plus features in the Plus version, and allows the machine monitor access to the memory mapped groups to play a bit with them. However it will (probably) not really run with the GX4000 alone with 64 KB only.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

McKlain

Would it be possible to mod a gx4000 and add another 64kb? And would it be of any use?

TFM

Quote from: McKlain on 18:44, 05 January 15
Would it be possible to mod a gx4000 and add another 64kb? And would it be of any use?

Yes, that can be done. And you can even proceed further and make a kind of 6128 Plus out of it. But for some parts you have to SMD solder at ASIC, that's 0.5 mm. Bryce did that for Craig IIRC. There is an original protocol from The Crainium somewhere which describes who to mod a GX4000 into a 6128 Plus.

Dunno if addition of the 64 KB also needs soldering to the ASIC though.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: McKlain on 18:44, 05 January 15Would it be possible to mod a gx4000 and add another 64kb?
Yes!  ;D

Quote from: McKlain on 18:44, 05 January 15And would it be of any use?
No.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

You could use games for the 6128 Plus which need 128 KB. :)  [nb]and FutureOS[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

He said "add 64K RAM", not "and a keyboard, and a floppy drive, and a mouse, and..."  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 20:25, 05 January 15
He said "add 64K RAM", not "and a keyboard, and a floppy drive, and a mouse, and..."  ;D

Sorry, but for most 6128 Plus games you just need a joystick and the GX got two of them  ;D  [nb]and for FutureOS a joystick is enough too.  :P [/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Adding the RAM on a GX4000 is a simple process, it's the other stuff like Keyboard and FDC that's messy.

Bryce.

TotO

Quote from: TFM on 21:40, 05 January 15Sorry, but for most 6128 Plus games you just need a joystick and the GX got two of them  ;D 
Most off the games will ask you to press 1 for keyboard, 2 for joystick and 3 to play...
So close to the goal, you just cry!  ;D

Bryce

That can't be that difficult to modify in Code. Just swap the keycode for (1) Joystick to "P" and you can choose it with the Pause button.

Bryce.

TotO

Or simply use the joystick fire button to play with it.
In most case, patch solve all problems if they exist. :)

McKlain

All of this would make the GX4000 an awesome (and really portable) platform to play CPC games.

TFM

And all you need it 64 KB to put in.  ;)

Now.... can't wait until we can by the new Super Cart.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

yurif74

Quote from: Bryce on 22:43, 05 January 15
Adding the RAM on a GX4000 is a simple process, it's the other stuff like Keyboard and FDC that's messy.

Bryce.

i could be interested in that hacks, do you know any links to start from?

TFM

Look at CPC Power, there should be tons of hacks. Mostly for Plus compatibility though.
But as told to change the keys scanned is something that can be done quick.

Also, there are already a lot of Carts around, which contain 6128 Plus games. I got them a while ago, but have no permission to copy them. The Wiki should have some page with a list of all carts and links, I guess.

TFM of FutureSoft

TomsF

Hi again :-)

Im very curious to hear if there is anything new about this replacement cartridge ? :-)

Best Regards

gerald

Quote from: TomsF on 21:57, 16 January 15
Im very curious to hear if there is anything new about this replacement cartridge ? :-)
I know, mid january is passed, but be patient  :laugh:
On the news front :
   I am still working on the SW : by now, the cart is twice as fast as the original prototype. A 512k cart is now loaded in 2s.
   I've also carts ready for shipping but I am holding them until I am satisfied with the SW.

Bryce

I would definitely prefer a device that came a few months later, than one that hadn't been properly tested and optimised. Take your time Gerald.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: gerald on 22:10, 16 January 15
I know, mid january is passed, but be patient  :laugh:
On the news front :
   I am still working on the SW : by now, the cart is twice as fast as the original prototype. A 512k cart is now loaded in 2s.
   I've also carts ready for shipping but I am holding them until I am satisfied with the SW.

Great to read! Exciting results :-) Please take as much time as you need.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

yurif74

Quote from: Bryce on 22:15, 16 January 15
I would definitely prefer a device that came a few months later, than one that hadn't been properly tested and optimised. Take your time Gerald.

Bryce.

completely agree!

radu14m

Ast

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !