News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Plus cartridge replacement : one more

Started by gerald, 16:39, 01 November 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you interested in buying a 3D-printed case for the cartridge? Hoe many units? (only vote if you want one or more!)

178 (85.2%)
25 (12%)
2 (1%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
more
4 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Bryce

Here's a quick photo comparison of the GB Cart case against the Plus Cartridge. They are very close. The length is a bit longer, but this dimension doesn't matter anyway. The width which is critical is almost identical, but the height is quite a difference. This probably makes it a no-go. SMD components will fit inside no problem, but the case can move around in the slot, which would make a very unreliable connection.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: TFM on 15:54, 20 March 15

Pity! I though you may have found a plastic case which could fit. I mean ... somewhere over the world there must be one!  :o
I have looked many times the problem is the height/thickness of the box.
Many times it is too thick.

I have found boxes where the  width and amount it sticks out are fine, but then they are too thick.

The case I modified is from a broken cart, so it was ok for me to do this. I will post pictures soon.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Quote from: arnoldemu on 12:07, 21 March 15
I have looked many times the problem is the height/thickness of the box.
Many times it is too thick.

I have found boxes where the  width and amount it sticks out are fine, but then they are too thick.

The case I modified is from a broken cart, so it was ok for me to do this. I will post pictures soon.

If the height is the only issue (ie: too high) it might be possible to file it down if it's made in two parts.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 13:56, 21 March 15
If the height is the only issue (ie: too high) it might be possible to file it down if it's made in two parts.

Bryce.
One box was transparent but a bit too flexible. I didn't try modifying it.
I was looking for something that would require very little modification because I know that I'm not always neat when I modify stuff.

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

My games. My Games

Ast

So your only solution was to break an old cartridge.....

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

arnoldemu

Quote from: Ast on 18:03, 21 March 15
So your only solution was to break an old cartridge.....
At this time yes, but I didn't break a working one. This case came from a cartridge that was broken. I would not break a working cart.

I am still looking for suitable cases.
My games. My Games

Bryce

I've an old cartridge case (was originally Burning Rubber), which was broken. I removed the label and cleaned it up today and it's waiting patiently for my Plus cartridge to arrive :)

I'll post pictures when it's finished too.

Bryce.

Phantomz

I already said on page 17 " I'd love one of these please if there is one available down the list.  :) " but I've been thinking....

I might get myself a gx4000 and a two of these carts if there is a way to make original games run on it.

I know Xyphoe on youtube showed that he has carts made for Chase HQ, Lemmings, and Fluff.

I know games that require a keyboard would be a problem, but it would be cool to load some of the great original games on the gx4000.

I'd Love Chase HQ like Xyphoes got and also other great titles like Robocop, operation wolf, gauntlets etc, would also love to be able to play Feud on it as it's one of my favourite games :)

Is it hard to convert original disk games to cpr files or are there any tools available?

Gryzor

Deeko

Quote from: gerald on 21:36, 16 March 15
Everything has to come to an end.

And I have no reason to make you wait any further  :D

So, I am about to make the cartridge emulator available to people that showed their interest in this thread. I will contact them by PM in 1st come / 1st served order.
The kit (cartridge + uSD + SD adapter) will cost 60 euros + shipping (1.55 for france, 4.7 for europe).

You will find more details on the page dedicated to C4CPC

Hi gerald,

Looking to add my name if the list is still open.

Thanks,

Derek

gerald

Quote from: Deeko on 19:47, 22 March 15
Looking to add my name if the list is still open.
Added to the list

Munchausen

Quote from: Phantomz on 17:16, 22 March 15
I might get myself a gx4000 and a two of these carts if there is a way to make original games run on it.

I know Xyphoe on youtube showed that he has carts made for Chase HQ, Lemmings, and Fluff.

I know games that require a keyboard would be a problem, but it would be cool to load some of the great original games on the gx4000.

Is it hard to convert original disk games to cpr files or are there any tools available?

There's a thread stickied in the Games sub forum :D

Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!

Phantomz

Quote from: Munchausen on 20:29, 22 March 15
There's a thread stickied in the Games sub forum :D

Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!

I did notice that  :D

I'll have to have a read, thought that was from disk to rom, so how do you do rom to cpr or bin, so can load as a cart in a emulator like winape or for CPC Plus cartridge replacement ? ???

Munchausen

Good point!  :o

I think the cart essentially acts as a ROM once the ACID magic has happened (though at different ROM numbers to normal), so if you can convert a game to rom (.BIN) you are basically done. I might be wrong on this though.

The other issue is that you may want to map keys to the joystick, this is more complex though (some disassembly involved...)

I think @arnoldemu has done some conversions to cart, as have several others around here, so they should be able to help. Perhaps a new topic is best (I didn't check if there are any old ones, I know it has been mentioned on here before though).

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:21, 22 March 15
Ok, WANTED: broken CPC cartridge :)

Well, that could be done! But maybe I got you wrong here.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Fun at the side for a moment... seriously... reading the recent posts, there seem to be a lot of broken Cartridges out there (guess I got one too). Why is that? Is it the EPROM failing or the ACID?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

gerald

Quote from: TFM on 03:40, 23 March 15
Fun at the side for a moment... seriously... reading the recent posts, there seem to be a lot of broken Cartridges out there (guess I got one too). Why is that? Is it the EPROM failing or the ACID?
Case ?  :laugh:

gerald

Hi All,

Thanks to all of those showed interest in the card, I've reach the maximum card I can deliver from the current batch.
That mean that can not accept more order for the cartridge from this point, but you can still express interest in it.
People that showed interest in the cart on this thread or by PM before today are on the waiting list and will be served for the quantity they expressed.

Note that since Euro/Dollar parity has gone wild since I ordered the previous batch components,  and the reduced number of ordered component for new batch, the price may rise about 20/30 %.

Gerald

The Last Bandit

The Last Bandit

Thanks, can you add me to the list for the next batch please ?

McKlain